It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey guys.

Just wanted to collect some thoughts on the concept of being on Suboxone for life. I believe most people know when they've come to the decision to stay on Suboxone indefinitely. How do you feel about this state of being? How comfortable are you in this decision?

What are the positives, and what are the downsides? Without getting too technical about side-effects, or all the politics of lifers vs detoxers vs abstainers. How do you feel in yourself? Is it a concession to choose to remain on Sub?

Did you envisage remaining on Sub when you first went on it? Or was it something you decided on after a while, or after trying unsuccessfully to taper, or after relapsing?

Sometimes I wish doctors were more forthcoming about their long term intentions when prescribing Suboxone. Where I'm from, the vast majority see lifelong maintenance as the only medical solution to opioid addiction. But they're far from explicit about this when people are first introduced to maintenance therapy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi TeeJay, and thanks for putting up an interesting topic. If memory serves me right, didn't you get off Suboxone already? You didn't mention it in the post. Just curious.

Being on Suboxone since 2010 you could say I'm a lifer. Like so many others here I was put on a large dose at first and weaned down to 1 mg over a years length. The doctor I had suggested I stay on it for life but that wasn't my plan. I wanted off all drugs and to say I was completely clean. Well, that didn't happen. Today I'm on 2 mgs and consider myself clean. At least as clean as a person can get w/o actually doing opiates.

Yes, I know Buprenorphine is an opiate and that I'm dependent on it. Part of me would like to at least try to get off it but I know my addict brain will sabotage any attempt to do so. No, I'm not thrilled about staying on it for life and I do hope that one day it will happen.

Whenever I stopped the Norco's back when I was using daily I was just not a happy camper. The longest I got was about 2 weeks and was sleeping again so I knew the w/d's were over. But it's my brain that isn't happy. Something happened to it after all those years of abuse. I know it would revert back to normal after a period of time but at my age (61) why would I go through all that? The day may come when I get tired of being tired. Yes, bupe makes me a little drowsy mid afternoon. Maybe it's time to reduce my dose again. But I felt the same thing at 1 mg as I do at 2, so why bother?

To summarize; I'm just not completely at ease with being on it for life but know the alternative is worse. It is just my addictive personality. I've been this way all my life. The longest stretch I'm proud of is the 16+ years or so of complete sobriety. No drinking or drugs with the exception of an occasional sleep aid like Ambien or Lunesta, etc. Maybe 2-4 times a year when travelling.

One day the insurance company may deny benefits for it or they'll take it off the market. IDK. Something external may force me off it. I'll face that day when it comes.

Not sure if this was what you were looking for or not. Ask and I'll reply.

BD