It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Home shopping like crazy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been clean 6 months now, and been on Suboxone 6 months as well. But I was just wondering if anyone ealse ever had this problem, or if I am the only one. Home shopping networks. I was shopping like crazy on 4 different ones at the same time like between week 4 and week 12. I mean, my parents and son were tripping out as they were tripping OVER boxes that would come in the mail every day!! ALOT OF BOXES. I still have some shopping that I do here and there but nothing like before. Maby that was because I found this forum around week 12 that the spending went down. I read where one of the mods, Amy, has mentioned spending some time home shopping, but I was wondering if many had had this happen in the past. My mother has went so far as to say, "well at least the shopping is legal" LOL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:57 am 

You're not happy about something in your life so you're filling it with shopping to get that nice short rush of endophins. Did you notice it doesn't last very long? Shopping is a common problem with addicts and non addicts alike. Figure out what isn't making you happy and deal with that. Then look at the shopping.

Just my 2ยข worth...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule is correct. Cross addiction is common and very real. It may be legal but 20K in credit card debt won't be 'fun.'

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:49 pm 

Hi, Cross addiction is a pretty common thing for us addicts. You can not just take the drug away and think thats all there is to it! It is work to find out why you turned to drugs andor alcohol to numb yourself in the first place. If you have not done the work with a therapist or the twelve steps and a sponsor to get to the root of the problem, it is going to show up in other ways....shopping, gambling, food, sex...My advice would be a good counselor or therapist. I have been there or I guess in all honesty, am there. After gastric bypass and using food as my go to, I got caught up in pills and also shopping! I have to really keep a close eye on my behavior and make sure that I am not doing things in excess! Good luck! Please keep us informed as to how you are coping with this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cross addiction, hmm. Well, OK then, Yall are right, man it was a rush calling and ordering but by the time the packages came, well, not so much fun any more. Thanks for pointing this out. Since we're on the subject, how can one get a rush endorphins style that is. I know about exercise but is there a healthy way one could do this? Michelle, I will keep a close watch on what I'm doing. I'll start paying attention and the only thing I've been doing in excess other than going to this forum, is CLEANING. I/we have moved recently and are building a new house out in the country, and I spend so much time cleaning that it is, well, a little obsessive. I clean like it's a full time job. I actually wanted to get a job, go back to work, just been kind of hanging out since 2007 and applied for disability back then and got on it in 2009. My parents seem to think I'm jumping the gun by wanting to return to work and all that. I am just kind of in limbo for the time being, till I can make some life decisions. I haven't driven since 2003 except for a few times. My folks take me everywhere I need to go. They have been very overly protective ever since I almost died in a car accident back in May 1992. Then the pain pills came, then the addiction. Yes, I can see where a therapist would come in handy Michelle. It's time I get off my rear end and do something productive for myself. Yall have given me ALOT to think about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Does anyone know how we might increase our endorphins by taking supplements/super foods and what not. I love how I feel when I indulge in a little superfood and superfuel supplements. Boku Superfuel super food and Matcha green tea are all staples in my diet every day now. I even quit drinking diet soda, and sodas altogether in exchange for the Organic Sweet Matcha made by Boku Superfoods. The mushroom blend in the Superfuel is out of this world. I receive 2 bags a month, 60 servings each bag, of the Superfuel. Just increased my Superfood from 1 bag to 2. WAS also ordering the Boku Sweet Matcha green tea, as needed, which was/is pretty regular. I sure hope there is nothing bad in this stuff... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:36 pm 

Hey Bamagurl,

Yes!! I did this exact same thing, except not on shopping networks. I just ordered a bunch of shoes and clothes online, bought my son whatever he wanted and even what he didn't want. I totally understand the rush of ordering these things and the thrill of receiving a package in the mail. I opened several lines of credit like Amazon and Paypal and bought so many unnecessary things. It's really something I have to pay attention to when I feel the urge to buy something.

Amy

]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:41 am 

Yes! My problem was eBay lol! I bought so much clothes then it became Christmas time and went bizerk on gifts. It didn't cause a huge problem but it was very compulsive. I bought a treadmill and started focusing on shaping up. I wasn't happy with my body so it was a very healthy focus. We all kinda struggle with that empty void in the beginning, it's pretty normal I think. Isn't it funny that most of the ladies go straight to shopping? :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lol CHARGE IT!!! LOLOL I know I've seen Amy post all kind of warnings at the end of her comments. LOL She's like, "and what ever ya do, don't go out there and start shopping all over the place like I did" You too Jennjenn. Well girls Christmas is coming and I've already been shopping for it. Yall are going to have to help me keep this in check. Jenn, I was using that as an excuse, I'm glad you put that part about Christmas shopping in your reply. My word! And I've been watching it. Better to find out now that when the visa bill comes in on Jan. 1st or when ever. Something else to watch for. Thanks girls. Yall 2 have been there and done that. Thanks. Angie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:15 pm 

Bamagirl,

Get some of these women's phone numbers so you have someone to call to keep your credit card in check.

I've been dealing with this problem (my wife) for years. She finally hit bottom and is now getting us out of debt. This is after 4 refi's and large loan to pay it off...again. It has come very close to ending our marriage several times.

Please get a handle on it.

r

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wasn't sure what the rules are here. We can get # from the girls? I'm going to be honest with ya. I've had to stay off fb and get rid of my phone because I've been on the pill scene herein our little small town for going on 26 yrs. I have a landline phone and it would be long distance but yes, I'd love to get to know some of the girls better. I need some good clean friends who know something about recovery. What is up with the friends/foe things you can click on. When I click on my name it shows a profile and I've clicked on other names an I see I could send a friend request or something like that. Is this kind of like fb? I miss fb but I can get on and before long, here comes the using buddies and I get so freaking unconfortable when that happens, so I get off. I feel sick to my stomach right now, and I get this same sick feeling when the using people show up.