It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hoarding Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So i have read a few other posts about people hoarding their scripts for a "rainy day." What are your thoughts about this? If i tell my dr that i am taking more than i am so i can stock up some extra sub is there any way he could tell? Do they test for the levels of sub in your system? On one hand it seems like addict behavior, but on the other side of the coin, i am afraid that in the future i wont be able to afford the dr visits and scripts. so why not get all i can now. Suboxone has improved my day to day life so much, i want to be weaned off properly, not forced into wds if i run out. So, Your thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So i have read a few other posts about people hoarding their scripts for a "rainy day." What are your thoughts about this? If i tell my dr that i am taking more than i am so i can stock up some extra sub is there any way he could tell? Do they test for the levels of sub in your system? On one hand it seems like addict behavior, but on the other side of the coin, i am afraid that in the future i wont be able to afford the dr visits and scripts. so why not get all i can now. Suboxone has improved my day to day life so much, i want to be weaned off properly, not forced into wds if i run out. So, Your thoughts?

I always took less Sub than my doctor prescribed and built up quite a stash. One reason was that I was on medicaid and could only get 2 weeks worth of medication at a time and it seemed like every other time I went to refill there was some issue with "prior authorization" or paperwork that delayed my refill. Another reason was that medicaid had a time limit that you could be on Sub and I didn't know if I'd be ready to stop when they said I had to.

Is it addict behavior? I guess so? I mean I was lying to my doctor and that's not the best policy but I thought it was justified. I wasn't saving it so I could get high or sell it, it was just a cushion. I tried to be honest with myself about my motives and whether it was affecting my recovery and I came to the conclusion that I was ok with it.

My doctor didn't test to see if I was taking the Suboxone, let alone what level it was at. I think those tests are pretty expensive. He only tested to see if I was using any other drugs. I guess it's possible that your doctor could test you and see what your blood levels were, but it seems unlikely.

I understand your feelings of being afraid of not being able to afford your medication in the future and wanting to make sure you can wean off the way you want to. I think those are totally valid fears; we've all heard of people who were suddenly forced by circumstance to stop taking Suboxone.

Ultimately this is your decision to make. You know yourself and your motivations. You should think about how keeping this secret will affect your relationship with your doctor and whether you think you need to be totally up-front with your doctor to keep your recovery solid.

Ironically enough, when my time on Sub was coming to an end my doctor started writing my scrip for a little extra because HE was concerned that Medicaid would cut me off before I was ready. So I guess I didn't have to worry. I ended up flushing a bunch of pills that I didn't need.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's an addicts way to have a contingency plan. I would always take less than prescribed, to the point I'd always have a months worth spare.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I feel slightly guilty about it, but i think i am going to lie to my doctor about my intake. At least until im a little more secure about my recovery. It just seems crazy to me that all these doctors are so lenient. If i wasnt serious about quitting and trying to improve myself i could have spent the last week high as a kite taking the suboxone the way she prescribed it. I know some people have told me that they dont get high on the suboxone, as for myself it really messed me up taking it the way it was prescribed my first day. Im thankful i had the people on this forum to talk to about dosing. I still feel a little off the first 2hrs after taking my sub, then i get really sleepy, but after i work through that i feel....NORMAL! I know i got a little off track, sorry for rambling on, lol. Have a good night all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Dragonfly,

You're certainly not the first person to keep some extra Suboxone for a rainy day, I'm sure you won't be the last either. In my opinion, it's a good idea to have extra Suboxone on hand. First off, if you did run out, what would be one of the first things to go through your mind....to score some pain pills maybe? I'd much rather see you have extra Suboxone to protect yourself in an emergency rather than completely buggering up your sobriety if you were to run out.

So, is hoarding pills addict behavior.....it can be, but if you're doing it to protect your sobriety, then it's the exact opposite of addict behavior.

Oh Yeah, as for your doctor being able to tell how much Suboxone you've been taking, I've never heard of a test that could prove that conclusively. The test may get them in the ballpark, but to really be able to tell how much you've taking exactly.....I'd say it's near impossible or very expensive to do it.

I've been on this board almost 2 years and I've never heard of any doctor being able to tell exactly how much you're taking via any test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am a "hoarder" too, but I'm only doing it because, like Romeo said, I want to protect my sobriety. If I were to lose my health insurance (God forbid), we might not be able to pay for the script. I know I'd probably be right back out chasing pills. I've already spent a lot of money with the initial visit, and I've had 3 appts, but got drug screened during 2 of them. That's a lot of money! I am prescribed 16 mg, I take 8. I keep the left overs in my mom and dads safe.

Also, there's a dr. near us that had his doors closed down, and eventhough I don't think my dr. is doing anything illegal or unethical, I've only seen him 3 times, so I honestly don't know much about him. I have this fear in the back of my mind that he'll get closed down and I'll be stuck until I can find a new doc. My doc is now the only one in a 45 mile radius, so I'd have enough sub that I wouldn't have to panick.

I also want to taper as slowly as possible, and eventhough my doc says that's what we're gonna do, again, I've only seen him 3 times so I don't know for sure how he goes about doing this. I want enough sub that when the time comes I can taper as long as I feel I need to.

You're not the only one, and there's a lot of good reasons why we should put some away for a "rainy day", if we're able to do that. I've never even thought about my dr. being able to test me to see exactly how much I have in my system, but I don't think that's very likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't do it too protect my sobriety. I did it too stop hanging out. In Australia, I would get given a weeks worth at a time, trust me, that's rare. Usually you'd have to visit a clinic daily.

I'd take less than my daily dose and stock up.

Then, when using heroin, (on top of my dose, sub has never worked as a blocker for me, unless I take over 30mg) if my habit gets up I can ween it back down.

I've got 40 2mg tabs locked in my dads safe.

To protect sobriety? No, to protect my smack habit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:36 pm 

chickenkebabs wrote:
I didn't do it too protect my sobriety. I did it too stop hanging out. In Australia, I would get given a weeks worth at a time, trust me, that's rare. Usually you'd have to visit a clinic daily.

Then, when using heroin, (on top of my dose, sub has never worked as a blocker for me, unless I take over 30mg) if my habit gets up I can ween it back down.

That's too bad. Do you foresee a time in the future when you will be serious about recovery? Your sub doctor must not drug test you if you're using heroin and you haven't been discovered.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

chickenkebabs wrote:

Why do you continue to go to the clinic if you have no intention of using it for the right reasons? Do you know how bad somebody needs your spot at that clinic to actually try and save there life from this junk? I'm sorry for coming off harsh but it just upsets me to read that last sentence in your post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ya no kidding! What a waste of a spot at the sub doc. Someone out there is desperately looking for help and can't get in becuase they are full. This just irritates me to even read about. And then to come on here and post it out like you are bragging??? So selfish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:08 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hah,nobodies that selfish,are they? .... wow..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Firstly, in Australia (Sydney) the clinics are no where near full. Public ones ( which are free) are hard to get a spot. Private ones, (like I was on) will take whoever walks through the door and have them dosing the next day. Trust me, I was taking no ones spot.

Secondly, it worked for me. Off suboxone now for a few weeks. Clean as a whistle.

I handle my addiction my way, judge not lest thee be judged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

chickenkebabs wrote:
Firstly, in Australia (Sydney) the clinics are no where near full. Public ones ( which are free) are hard to get a spot. Private ones, (like I was on) will take whoever walks through the door and have them dosing the next day. Trust me, I was taking no ones spot.

Secondly, it worked for me. Off suboxone now for a few weeks. Clean as a whistle.

We (Me, Razor53, Goinstrong, Bboy, and Amy), probably wouldn't be so judmental, but when you say you are using sub to "protect your smack habit", well.... that comes off pretty selfishly and for those of us that are taking our recovery seriously, tend to be a little judmental I think when someone talks about using sub to "protect" their other habit instead of using it like you're supposed to.

I know for me, finding a dr and paying as much as I do and getting my prescription filled is a huge expense. Dragonfly came on here with a valid concern and felt guilty for stockpiling her meds incase there comes a time when she's unable to get her prescription. I have the same concerns and I am stockpiling as well to protect my sobriety. Then you respond by making a mockery out of our treatment and of so many others who are desperate for the sub treatment.

Yeah, you do your thing and I'll do mine, but you don't sound very serious about wanting or getting help when you tell people that you're using sub to protect your smack habit. I'm personally gonna judge the hell outta that. You don't have to agree with it or like it, but you don't sound very serious about your recovery "yet."

I honestly wish you the best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Invisible_sHadow wrote:
chickenkebabs wrote:

We (Me, Razor53, Goinstrong, Bboy, and Amy), probably wouldn't be so judmental, but when you say you are using sub to "protect your smack habit", well.... that comes off pretty selfishly and for those of us that are taking our recovery seriously, tend to be a little judmental I think when someone talks about using sub to "protect" their other habit instead of using it like you're supposed to.

I know for me, finding a dr and paying as much as I do and getting my prescription filled is a huge expense. Dragonfly came on here with a valid concern and felt guilty for stockpiling her meds incase there comes a time when she's unable to get her prescription. I have the same concerns and I am stockpiling as well to protect my sobriety. Then you respond by making a mockery out of our treatment and of so many others who are desperate for the sub treatment.

Yeah, you do your thing and I'll do mine, but you don't sound very serious about wanting or getting help when you tell people that you're using sub to protect your smack habit. I'm personally gonna judge the hell outta that. You don't have to agree with it or like it, but you don't sound very serious about your recovery "yet."

I honestly wish you the best of luck.

You go girl! That is EXACTLY what I meant. Except I suck at putting things intowords sometimes. I mean, c'mon, how do you NOT look at that statement right there and judge??? And I am the furthest from judgemental of all the people I know. I am not saying that to sound conceited, but I am sometimes disappointed in how closed minded the people I am closest to, are. That's all I meant by that.

Look, kababs, if you were serious about your recovery, I would be one of the first people on board to support you. Most people on here can vouch for that. But until you are, I cannot look at someone who comes on here, boasts about abusing subs to protect a smack habit, and take them even half serious.

This website is for people who need support during their recovery, even if they haven't made a decsion as to what process they will choose yet. You clearly are happy with your smack habit. Otherwise you wouldn't be protecting it. I don't understand why you are so surprised that you were judged by the people who are working hard every single day to protect their recovery instead of a habit that WILL kill them. Perhaps you can start a thread under the still messing around category, and boast about how suboxone helps your smack habit thrive.

If and when you are serious about wanting to recover from drugs, I and everyone else here, will be here to support you. Just please don't rub our faces in it, that you are using a medication to save lives, to support your drug use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok, I can see your your points. Maybe I should clarify.

This thread was regarding hoarding suboxone. This was something I always did and I explained my motives for doing so, perhaps a little to honestly.....

What I maybe should have said, is hoarding to protect my habit was something I did when I really had no intention of stopping using completely. I was on a Suboxone MAINTENANCE program, not the sobriety trip.

That was some time ago, decided to clean up (after roughly 15 yrs it was time), I used my suboxone stash to taper, have done so and now am clean and back at work.

In Australia, to visit a prescribing dr is free for all, regardless of insurance, place on a program guaranteed, and you'll pay between $4 -$12 per day for sub/done. I'm assuming most of you are from the US where I understand it's more difficult. I wasn't "stealing" a spot from someone "worthy".

Fair? No, but its the way it is.

I apologise if you all felt I was was making light, boasting or being inconsiderate. It was unintentional.

But, do not doubt how seriously I take my recovery. Like many of you I've suffered the lows of addiction all too painfully, and to
think I do this on a whim is misguided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That makes alot more sense. :wink: :wink: :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:42 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sounds like your doing well,it just didn't earlier to me. Best of luck to you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's fair enough, and makes more sense. I guess I misunerstood. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re hoarding.

If you're stocking up on Suboxone, make sure you ROTATE your supply, especially with the film.

When Suboxone passes its expiry date the naloxone starts to oxidise. One of the things it breaks down into is potentially toxic. So it's important you ROTATE YO, esp with the film because naloxone is more unstable in film form (hence the earlier expiry dates on with the film).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

TeeJay wrote:
Re hoarding.

If you're stocking up on Suboxone, make sure you ROTATE your supply, especially with the film.

When Suboxone passes its expiry date the naloxone starts to oxidise. One of the things it breaks down into is potentially toxic. So it's important you ROTATE YO, esp with the film because naloxone is more unstable in film form (hence the earlier expiry dates on with the film).

Thanks for bringing this up too TJ... I don't have much of a stock, but I do rotate what I have. I don't want to end up with a bunch of expired subs. That's a great point.

Chickenkebabs, I was also glad to read your clarrification. Sounds a lot better than saying "protecting my smack habit", makes a lot more sense. Sounds like you really are doing well now and I'm glad!