It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on either oxycontin, dilaudid, methadone, or heroine IV for pretty much the last 4 years. I have tried many times to get clean...the longest I went "clean" was almost a year at the deathadone clinic. Methadone was so hard and so long to get off of that by the time I got through the nearly half year taper off I decided to use dope just "1 time" - hey I deserved it, right? NO. 1 time turned into just twice turned into HELLO, welcome back to Heroine addiction. So the half year of pain and suffering I endured to get clean from methadone was all for nothing. I am sure many of you understand the psychological bliss that was my reality.

Interestingly enough, I am one of those very functional addicts. I have always kept a full time job, finished from a top college, and on my way to graduate school in a different state. I feel that if I don't kick this habit now, it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

I have been using a moderate to high level of heroine for the last 6 months ($300/day). I went to my suboxone doctor because I like the idea of having a take out prescription and have heard that buprenorphine easier to get off of when the time comes. My doctor told me to wait 48 hours before taking a half tab, then take another half an hour later, than repeat until 1.5 max tabs have gone under the old tongue. Even with the tranxene and colonidine the dr prescribed to help me get through the 48 hours, I still could not manage to get there. Finally on the third try, I dosed the suboxone after ~36 hours. I did an 8 mg tab in the beginning and it didn't do a thing! It may have even worsened the withdrawal (although this may have been in my mind) I later took another 8 mg and it didn't help either. So even though I knew my recepters were jammed up with the bup, I took another $160 out of my account and bought a bag of dope. Surprisingly I still got somewhat high from the bag (considerably less than normal though) and the WD symptoms went away for about 6 hours. After this experience I got angry that I spent money on the suboxone doc and the pills because they didn't do a damn thing.

About a week later I come back to my senses and decided to try sub again. I read on the net that 24 hours hsould be sufficient after dope to induct. So I took my last shot yesterday at 9am and when I woke up this morning I dropped 2 - 8 mg tabs under my tongue. I still don't feel any different and am in a mild/moderate state of WD. Some chills, sneezing, runny nose, aches, general anxiety.

My question: Is this normal to still feel some WD your first day of bup? Will this go away once I dose tomorrow? Should I dose more today? My doc gave me permission to take up to 3 tabs for my first couple days.

Thanks for reading my long post and for all the help...I really went to get through this and I think I can handle the psychological part if only the physical pains would subside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have heard that induction is harder when you're coming from a large herion habit then if you're coming off pills or just a smaller habit generally. Buprenorphine has a ceiling effect, and if your tolerance is higher than what bupe can provide then you're probably going to feel some withdrawals.

I've also heard that if you stick it out while your tolerance comes down, then the bupe will help you stay clean. Sorry I can't speak from personal experience - my induction went fine. Hopefully someone with more direct experience will comment.

Sorry you're feeling so craptastic - I hope you make it.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

$300 a day is how many 'bags'? I never was into Heroin. I'm just wondering about what the oxycodone dose would be. Maybe you were at an alarmingly high dose and 8-16mg just doesn't cover it.

If you can tough it out, maybe stick with the sub until the withdrawal goes away and you reach a stable point. Your tolerance should drop relatively quickly and your body will adjust to the new dose.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If I am not mistaken, $10 = 1 "bag", 10 bags = 1 bundle.
$10 is approximate. When you're buying in large quantities, say $300/day, you can pay as little as $5 or $8 a "bag". In some areas (i.e., the further you are away from a major city), you can pay upwards of $20/bag. This is the only conversion that I know. I don't know about "balloons" or the other ways that dope is sold.
Any way you look at it, $300 a day is a very heavy dependence.
The oxycodone conversion would also depend on the quality/cut of the heroin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jamez70 wrote:
$300 a day is how many 'bags'? I never was into Heroin. I'm just wondering about what the oxycodone dose would be. Maybe you were at an alarmingly high dose and 8-16mg just doesn't cover it...

First, I would say where this poster lives may determine what the dope was like.....I only did that stuff for a short time period (I liked the safety/security of Oxy better, never different, cant get beat "oxys" unless you are an idiot) and I lived 10 minutes from Camden, NJ which notoriously got voted as having the strongest dope in the country for awhile....(and I can vouch for it considering how terrible Wilmington and some other areas are).....BUT, I usually thought it took only ONE good Camden bag (esp North Camden)to equal or be better than a 40mg Oxy.....whereas, 3 bags in Wilmington would barely equal a 40mg to me....
Anyway......said poster was doing anywhere @ 28-36 bags a day if he was spending $300, I'd guess....
SO, it could have been a VERY large conversion of Oxy....or at worst....a pretty big dose.
Seems to me (I love how he said "moderate to high" level of dope), 3+ bundles a day is a pretty dam BIG habit....and he would probably need to start w/ the max four 8mg pills = 32mg ceiling.....and then ween down. Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BTW - Energy.....

I just posted my opinion in the last post....
But, I think you have a huge tolerance (more than most) and it may take a little more Sub and your body a little longer to adjust....
I believe if you kept taking the Sub for consecutive days it wouldnt be as bad.....and considering how much
money a day you were spending, a few mild WD symptoms w/ Sub doesnt seem like that big of a price to pay
considering what the alternatives are...ya know?

However, I'm not a Doctor....I would seriously consult with him to make sure the best medical advice is
given.....but, sometimes I believe some of us addicts have more detailed experiences and wisdome to share....that's why we are all here. Peace and be safe!