It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi folks! I'm new here and about to take the big plunge into suboxone. I know this question is answered many times here and all over the web to the point where many of you are probably tired of it, but please try and remember your own fears and questions before you went to sub (for those that have, which is who I'm hoping to hear from). I've spent endless hours surfing answers to this question, but am still looking for some specific advice (and perhaps reassurance).

I have been on 130 mg of methadone daily for 8 years! I even earned monthly takehomes, but after years of wanting to do sub, I finally decided to do it. I knew I couldn't go through months or even weeks of gradual withdrawls, so I'm trying to do this in only 10 days. Over 5 days I went from 130 to 30 and as you probably know, the long half-life meant that first 5 days was very easy. But now I've hit a brick wall and am in fairly moderate withdrawls. It is Friday morning, and I'm going to do suboxone induction on Tuesday. I plan to do 20 mg per day today and Sat, then 10 sunday, none on monday, and induction Tuesday. That will mean I've been on 20 or less for 6 days in a row, and 0 the day before. I know from past attempts (I never actually made it to sub) that I will be in full blown withdrawls by tuesday.
(sorry for all that background you may not have needed)

Here is my question. I know about the long half-life, I know its recommended to taper much slower, etc. HOWEVER, I also have repeatedly read that as long as I'm in strong withdrawls, I'll be ok when I induct into suboxone. WHAT DO YOU THINK??? If I've one done 20 mg for a week and am in strong (an honest 20 on COWS) withdrawls, will teh sub help me or make me worse???

Thank-you all sincerely for any help or comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi city man,

Welcome - I hope you find the support and information you're looking for. I don't have any experience transitioning from methadone to sub, but I've been around this forum for nearly a year and half and have picked up a bit of knowledge in that time.

What I'm sure you don't want to hear is what I'm going to say - You just never know! Some people have gone through this transition very painlessly, being under 30 mg and waiting only a day or two. Then there are the others who have waited more than a couple of days and still been under 30 mg, yet still went into precipitated withdrawals.

I can tell you if it were me, I'd try to go longer without any methadone. For example I would do my damndest to not take anything Sunday OR Monday - hell, maybe even Saturday. You've experienced the long half-life yourself - you said the first 5 days of your reduction was easy. This tells me that you might very well still have too much methadone in your system come Tuesday.

I believe people that do well with the transition actually go off methadone a week or so ahead of time and switch to a full agonist like oxy for that last week.

I have a feeling this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's what I've got to give. I'm hopeful that others that have made the transition will come by with their experiences.

I wish you the best...Please let us know how it turns out. Again, welcome - I hope you stick around.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
I can tell you if it were me, I'd try to go longer without any methadone. For example I would do my damndest to not take anything Sunday OR Monday - hell, maybe even Saturday. You've experienced the long half-life yourself - you said the first 5 days of your reduction was easy. This tells me that you might very well still have too much methadone in your system come Tuesday.

I've not made that transition but I now two people who have and both failed the first time because they took the suboxone too soon. So, while I do not have an direct experience, I believe my friend hatmaker510 is correct in that you should extend the waiting period for as long as you can possibly stand it. Yes, it will be very difficult and uncomfortable, but, your likelihood of success will be much, much higher.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Cityman, I have to agree with hatmaker. I too was on methadone for many years, although I was on a prescription for methadone tablets. I did 30 mg a day for about 5 years. I'm not saying you have to do it exactly like I did, but what I did worked. I tapered off methadone down to 2.5 mg a day, then stopped altogether. Amazingly enough there wasn't that much difference in 2.5 a day or 10 a day, but once I stopped altogether there were pretty bad w/d. I wasn't planning on doing subox but after 19 days with no meth, but taking vicodins, soma, and xanax I came to the conclusion I couldn't make it any longer by myself. I stopped the vics for 24 hours before inducting into subox. That may not be what you want to hear, but I had no PWs and in fact was 100% better within 30 minutes of taking my first 8mg of sub. You are coming at subs from a different place than I was, but I was scared to death of precipitated w/d, mostly from reading about them on the methadone forum. I had the luxury of plenty of time off without having to function in public and that may not be the case with you. There are stories of those coming from meth to subox without a lot of trouble, and there are those who had a really hard time. If possible I would give myself every opportunity at a successful induction the first time around. Once you go into PW there isn't much you can do but wait it out. Transitioning from methadone to another opiate with shorter half life isn't great but it's not that bad either. Good luck to you and please keep us up to date with how you're doing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all so much. Not only for responding, but also for your obvious compassion....seems like you all almost hate to tell me bad news, but are honest enough to tell me the truth instead of what I want to hear. Thats what you should do, and I thank you for it.

Its true....I'm hoping and praying someone(s) will chime in and tell me that as long as I'm in very strong withdrawls I'll be ok on Tuesday, even though I only took 10 days to get there. While it is true that my first 5 days of taper have been FAIRLY easy, I have done this eough to know that, for me anyway, once I'm on 20 mg for more than 5 days, I start going downhill (ie withdrawls) hard and fast on day 6 and beyond. Everything in my logical mind knows that what was said above is true in that I'd be better to go 100% without for more than 24 hrs. But listen friends, I've tried it before, and once I get in full blown withdrawls, I absolutely cannot stand it for more than 24 hrs. I'm not weak, and hopefully you all know what I'm talking about here, but the kind of withdrawl I expect to be in on monday and tuesday is that unimaginable, devestating withdrawl. The kind where I haven't slep for 2-3 nights in a row, I'm yawning and sneezing and running nose, and my body aches so bad that I tense up every muscle in my body intentionally just so when I let go Ill get 10 seconds of relaxation....I'm talking where I just lay in the floor and moan, borderline hallucinate (ie- mind goes crazy), turn the air on 5 minutes and then the heat on 5 minutes, sit down then jump up then sit down, etc etc. I know my body enough to know thats the state I'll be in by Tuesday (I think).

IF...IF I am in fact in that stage of withdrawl, will I be ok to use suboxone Tuesday? Or will it take me to a level of hell I've never even imagined or experienced?

ONE OTHER QUESTION..... my sub doc basically admits she knows very little about suboxone and hasn't treated anyone comming off methadone....but before we all jump on her case for her ignorance, I actually respect her for admitting it AND, (I'm getting to my other question) she is very helpful and compassionate and says she will prescribe me anything I want except benzos or opiates (I ask about some short-acting opiates, she said no). Specifically, she volunteered Clonodine. What do you all think of that? 1) will it even help at all? I tried it once for w/d and didn't notice much help, but I'll discount that if you all say it helps. 2.) will it make induction worse/harder? Its not an opiate so I wouldn't think so, but want to ask anyway. 3.) Is there any other meds besides benzos and opiates that would be helpful? Something for RLS? Anti neausea like prometh?

Again, thank you all for your help and compassion. This is the biggest thing I've done in my life in 10 years and because no one knows I'm an addict, I've got to do it 100% alone so you all are all I have....thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would accept her offer of Clonodine to help with your discomfort. Like you, I respect that your doctor admitted her lack of knowledge...That tells me she's not a know-it-all/arrogant doctor. Those are the kinds of doctors I like - who are willing to always keep learning. Anyway, the Clonodine helps other types of withdrawal, so it should help methadone, too. And it shouldn't interfere with your induction at all. At the very least it can't hurt.

All you can do is go for as long as you can stand it before you induce. You know your limits, we do not. I will tell you this, if you don't wait long enough, the hell you're afraid of will be nothing compared to the hell of precipitated withdrawals. Can you stand to dose last late Saturday night? If not, try very early on Sunday morning. Again, that's what I would do. Like I said, all you can do is the very best you can...No one expects miracles...You're just a human being after all. We're here to support you whatever you decide.

Okay, now I'm rambling. I hope this helps. Hang in there. Remember, come Tuesday starts the first day of your addiction remission. It will be a whole new, happy, healthy, drug-free life for you and your family, and it starts with suboxone. Remember that when you are in w/d...that it's SO WORTH IT.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank-you, hatmaker. I've actually read a lot of your posts on here and always find them helpful and compassionate. I didn't get the clonodine today but almost certainly will on monday (and wish I had today). I, too, have been happy that my Dr. isn't a know-it-all. I was so worried about precip w/d and told her so that she actually called the suboxone Dr. line after I left her office and then she called me on the phone to tell me what she learned and to tell me she'd give clonodine or other things if I called and asked for them. I can't remember a doc calling me personally ever, so I'm pretty happy even though she is new to sub and inexperienced.

I've started going downhill considerably in the hours since my first post, so I'm already struggling. The good news is I don't have any "street drug" connections so I can't blow it this weekend at least no matter what. I've got 35 mg total left to last me until TUesday, and while I KNOW the above advice is good, I'm planning to do 15 sat, 10 sunday, and 5 at like 6 am monday. that will be 30 hours before my appt on monday...and only 5 mg which is next to none to me. I'll be in full blown w/d at my apt, and I'm praying thats enough to prevent w/d nightmares??? (still hoping for someone to say I'll be ok that way!) ha. The sub hotline says I can be on 30 mg up to 24 hrs before apt, then stop and I'll be fine. So I'm exceeding that considerably. As hatmaker said, I'm only human and know I just cannot take 48 hrs of full w/d, even though others have.

Perhaps the best thing said to me so far is to remember whats at the end of this road....however hellish it gets, I do need to remember that its a new chapter without being slave to methadone and the clinic process(which ishell). SO thanks for that. If you all can't honestly reassure me about whether induct will be hell,I'd at least love hearing how much sub has improved your lives. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some people HAVE done it the way you are and did just fine at their induction. So everything very well might turn out OK. Focus on that. I believe expectations color our experiences, so try to expect it to go well.

As for my quality of life since I've been on suboxone, it's been like night and day. I was a mess, headed for death. Suboxone pulled me out of that and gave me my life back. I'm stable, happy, confident, relaxed - all the things I never was before. I hope suboxone does that for you too. It's only one aspect of recovery though, I combine it with therapy, marriage counseling, this forum, and a support group I started.

You're going to be just fine, I'm confident of that. Hang in there. Post as often as you need to over the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From what I understand about switching from methadone to Suboxone, it is not so much a factor of how bad of withdrawals you are in before your induction as it is a matter of your tolerance level. You could be feeling really awful, full blown withdrawals - but if your tolerance is too high Suboxone just won't be potent enough to make you feel better. AND, if there's still methadone hanging around in your blood doing a little something for you, Subxone will put an end to that and you'll feel even worse.

Obviously, going through cold turkey withdrawals for a few days before induction is one way of getting your tolerance down low enough that Suboxone will work to keep you out of withdrawal. Tapering your dose down is another way. If I was in your situation, this is what I would ask myself:

If you took 10 mgs of methadone right now, would that be enough to fully eradicate your withdrawal symptoms? If the answer is no, I would wait longer to do your Suboxone induction.

Suboxone is not going to fully stimulate your opiate receptors the way methadone does, but it will occupy them and it will knock any remaining methadone that's hanging around right off and not let it stimulate those receptors at all. So, if you think your tolerance is still up around 20-30mgs or higher...wait, get your tolerance down lower and then induct.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: more misc
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Listen hatmaker....you really don't know how much I appreciate you here! Words cannot convey the fear I have about all this.....I'm terrified of the withdrawls I KNOW I'm going to go thru in the next 3.5 days, and I'm even more terrified of the precip w/d I MIGHT go thru Tuesday. So your reassurances are invaluable. I especially apprecaited you saying I can post as much as I want to over the weekend, cause I already am feeling like I'm overreaching my welcome here for a new member, but its very helpful/theraputic to post and read.

I guess its human nature to cling to what we want to hear, so it is really nice hearing that some people have made it my way (basically I've dropped from 130 mg methadone over 10 days.... with the last 4 being 25,20, 10, and 5) without getting blown away with precip w/d. I know I have to suffer some, and I absoluetely will be,but just pray it won't be the extreme hell.

I also appreciate your brief insight into how sub has changed your life for the better. While I've been fairly stable on methadone in recent times, I did untold damage to my body, life, career, relationships with many people, etc. I also feel I have a lot going for me in terms of staying clean. No one else I know uses drugs, I have a great job (you wouldn't believe a dope fien could have the job I do! Not meaning its so great, just not a job you'd dream of an addict having). I did 12 step meetings a long time and would absolutely be willing to do them again, with whatever else you all think would help.

OK, more questions!!! :) (forgive me).... In spite of me reading 100's of posts on the topic, I'm still not clear on this:
1.) If upon induction I get so bad I cannot take it (I promise you that I'm only talking about an AWFUL, HORRIFYING EXTREME) would taking opiates on top of it help at all???? I understand about subs stronger affinity for mu receptors, etc.....but still seems to be some doubt over whether one can help oneself out of precip w/d with extrmely high levels of opiates (I also know I'd be starting over, and would loose all the pain I have invested in my natural withdrawl in the days before induction)

2.) PLEASE ANSWER THIS: Can precip withdrawls be overcome (to some degree) by suboxone itself in higher doses? In other words, if 4 or 8 or whatever she starts me on put me in precip w/d, would another 8 or another 16 make it better or worse??? I fell like my doc will most likely be willing to give me as much as I want/need on day 1....does higher dosing bring relief to precip w/d or make it worse or not change it??? Remember, I'm only talking about first 2-3 days here, after that I'll take less for sure.

Hatmaker, I hope others will help you out here because you shouldn't have to babysit me like this, but if no one else responds, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you again! :) Thanks soooo much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As far as I know (and I don't know much on this subject), once sub puts someone into P/W, you DO NOT want to give them MORE sub, but instead I believe the course of action that is warranted is to wait it out. I'm hoping one or two people who have gone thru precipitated withdrawals or who know more about it will show up and answer your question. That's all I can tell you about P/W - I just don't know much about it.

BUT I did find this older blog entry by Dr. J about the subject: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/2008/12/07/ ... -now-what/

Maybe it will help you. Try not to convince yourself that you're going to have them. Take a deep breath and try to relax. It almost sounds like you're getting yourself pretty worked up. Not that I blame you, but try to relax as best you can, OK?

I hope you have a good night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One more thing: There's also this blog entry about precipitated withdrawals (also by Dr. J). This one talks about levels of tolerance, like Diary was talking about. I think you should read both of these. Good night!

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/2008/09/21/ ... ithdrawal/

Post subject: T.Y.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Words cannot express my gratitude to you for helping me get thru this. ANd you're right...I need to relax and be more positive!!!!! I'm going to read your links now. BTW....we know what I'm doing up at 1 am (w/d) what's your excuse?? ha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Cityman, hope this morning finds you well. Please don't feel like you are putting anyone out by asking questions or just posting
I think everyone here is willing to help all they can. Yours is a problem not that many have experienced personally. I sure don't know the answer about taking more opiates to relieve PWs. I don't think they will but I can't know that for sure. You may be getting yourself all worked up for no reason. The plan you've devised for yourself could work out just fine. I understand your fear, I have been there. My fear of PW was greater than my fear of gradual w/d. You need to try and remain as calm as possible. Our emotions dictate much of what we experience during opiate w/d and even opiate enhanced living in general. If you can set your mind and emotions to trust in your plan, and plan to trust in yourself you will be much better off no matter what happens. I will try and check in on this thread over the weekend so if you need to talk, I'll help any way I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

thecityman wrote:
Words cannot express my gratitude to you for helping me get thru this. ANd you're right...I need to relax and be more positive!!!!! I'm going to read your links now. BTW....we know what I'm doing up at 1 am (w/d) what's your excuse?? ha.

Don't ask what I was doing up at that hour! LOL. You're quite welcome - I'm just trying to give back all that I've received since I've been a member here. It's been my pleasure talking with you.

Anyway, so how are you doing this morning? I won't be around today and it can get a bit quiet around here on weekends, but I'll check in late tonight. Hang in there, remember to BREATH, remain calm, and like new_sub said, I, too, believe our expectations color our experiences. Try to stay positive. You can do this. Another day down, 3 to go! Your new life is scheduled to begin Tuesday...Keep your eye on the prize. (Okay, that's my last catchy slogan!) Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

believe it or not, I'm doing quite will today (and no, I haven't blown it yet!). I actually got a lot of good sleep last night (finally). In fact, (here is me not taking everyone's advice to relax and stay positive and not worry so much) I am now worried that I'm doing "too good"...meaning I need to be sicker than this FOR SURE or I know I'm in trouble. But its just Saturday (noonish now) and I still have 3 days to go, so I'm pretty sure I'll be way sicker than I want to be by Tuesday! If not....if I think its even possible I could hold out one more day, I'm almost certain that I could always get an appt on wed instead.... just listen to me....what if this, what if that.....I need to listen to those of you who've been here!

new-sub, you mentioned how you, too, were worried a lot about precip w/d....how did it go for you? (maybe I don't want to know?? ha).
hatmaker.... the links you gave me were incredibly helpful and very much answered my above questions quite well...especially since it was Dr. junig doing the answering gave me even more confidence in those answers. Sounds like if I do get hit with precip w/d, all the opiates in the word, including higher doses of sub, won't help at all. I especially was impressed by his statement that if you get hit hard, 48 hrs later you'll either be on sub or back on opiates starting all over, and since the 48 hours will be just as hard either way, why would you NOT stick with sub???

Thanks everyone. Since my plan/schedule DOES still allow some opiates today (albiet a VERY LOW amount) I know I will be getting some relief when I take them, and knowing 20mg (i've been on 130 for 10 years) of methadone is actually enough to back off my symptoms a decent amount, and knowing its the last time I'll get enough to be of any real help....I'm going to go outside and try to enjoy the nice fall day here in the southeast, so thanks to everyone, and undobutedly I'll be checking in later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

cityman, I'm glad you're doing well today. hang in there I think you'll be fine. I avoided P/W, but I stayed off methadone for 19 days before starting sub. During those days I was taking vicodin which didn't prevent methadone w/d but made it palatable. I was intending to stop everything, but I couldn't make it. On the 18th day I admitted to myself I was going to get back into the methadone I had in the house, once the vicodin was gone. Like you I had no street contacts and had no other doc to turn to for opiates at the time. My doc leaving the state is what motivated me to stop in the first place. At any rate I was in pretty bad shape when I went to see the sub doc. Knowing I had been off meth long enough and being on vicodin he told me to wait 12 hours before taking my first sub. I waited until the next morning even though I picked the sub up from the pharmacy the same day. I was still worried about p/w even though everything told me I would be OK. I had read the horror stories about p/w going from meth to sub on the methadone forum.

If you spent anytime over there you probably know most of them aren't too high on subox, but I think it's mostly because they couldn't get off methadone first. I'm not sure how the methadone in the clinics relates to what you get from a pharmacy. most of the ones I talked to had liquid, but I noticed in your post you mentioned take home and I assume that was pill form. Does the 130 mg you were taking relate directly to the 10mg pills I got from the drug store? That would be like 13 of those tablets?? the most I was ever prescribed was 30mg a day, though some days I probably went as high as 40 or 50, but not often because I would have to make up for it by dropping back to 20 the next couple of days to make up for it. I never allowed myself to run out in all the time I took methadone.

I had my worse time before ever being on methadone. I was on fentanyl and went into full blown w/d coming off that, which is how I got on the methadone. good luck and let us know how you're doing

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

18 days of methadone w/d w/nothing but vicodin....you, my friend, are tough! :) To answer your question, I'm on "wafers", and my understanding is that only clinics can still despense those. They are 40 mg each, so I get 27 bottles per month, each one has 3 and 1/4 wafers. It takes 3 years of perfect drug tests and other positive behaviors to earn 27 take-homes, so I wasfairly proud of that. However, it ended up being by undooring because like most addicts, Icouldn't control myself so I'd end up taking about 1/2 my monthly dose the first week, and spending the rest of the month trying to stretch out the remainder.

I, too, must admit to having grave doubts about whether sub will even work for me....my meth clinic says it won't....that I've been on too much for too long and will never make it on sub because its so much lighter. I also confess that I'm still enough of an addict that I deeply disturbs me that there is no euphoria with sub. While many say that after a while methadone doesn't either, it did for me, and especially when I doubled it up (or more). SOme peoploe will probably wonder why, if I was doing well enough to earn monthly take homes, I would even stop methadone. Well, it makes you a slave in ways only meth people can understand. I'm also just a walking dead on it. While I admit part of me loves it, deep down I know I have no quality of life...no emotions, no motivations, no ambition, etc. Things around the house go undone, I do just enough at work to keep my job, etc. SO I really want to try a new way of life, and I KNOW I'm just not strong enough to do it 100% drug free at this time.

Its now Sat night at 8:30 and as I said this morning....I'm really doing "too well". WOW methadone is soooo slow acting (and going away). my plan was to do 20 today and I've made it on 10 so far! DOn't get me wrong...I'm uncomfortable and definately in w/d, but NOTHING like what I have done before and expected to be doing now. I very well may have to postpose tuesday. According to Dr. Junig article, its more about tolerance than withdrawl (to avoid precip w/d) and it takes longer to get tolerance down than to go in w/d. Anyway, we'll see what tonight, Sunday, and Monday bring. As always,thanks for letting me vent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I really believe you will be able to function on sub. I could get high on the done too by taking double my dose and I did occasionally. But like you I never ran out. My doc gave me scripts so I didn't have to go to a clinic or anything but if I had done anything to break his rules or even piss him off he would have cut me off. As it turned out, the DEA shut his practice down without arresting him. I don't know how they pulled that off, but his license still shows to be on probation in the state.

The first time you do sub it does give you a euphoric feeling, and while that goes away soon what remains is a sense of well being when you're properly dosed. I had the same problems you described on methadone. There wasn't anything wrong with me, but I could never get motivated to do anything. It's a wonder I'm still married and employed. I've just sort of passed the time for last few years, but during those same years I lost my entire family. The sadness, grieving and depression that comes with losing your mom, dad, sister, and granma all in a three or four year period gets clouded over by methadone. I am now just starting to really comprehend what I've been doing these last few years. Somehow I managed to help my folks through their illnesses and their deaths without my sis as she died first, and it seems like it was all a dream.

The suboxone is slowly bringing me back to life. I shouldn't say slowly. the first day was great but I had a lot of issues that I had been ignoring and they are now coming to the forefront, but I believe I am dealing with things now, rather than just pulverizing my brain with goop. I still don't have the energy I used to have, but I've aged quite a bit since I got on this stuff too. Basically a whole decade of my life has passed since I first started using opiates. I find I really do get tired now too, even though before it was mostly emotional exhaustion, now I can do enough chores to get sore and walk 18 holes of golf in the same day.

If you can maintain a belief that this stuff will work for you it can get you through the worst part which is all going to come down in the next few days. Just think, 96 hours from now you could well be done with the wafers forever, even if you do have to take the little orange pill. It won't rob you of your brain or your drive to live. This is an amazing drug. Whoever invented it, if that's the right word, should get a nobel prize. Opiate addiction is a horrible disease and this stuff can get you off of it when nothing else can. Not that I am predicting you'll have PWs, but in the unlikely event that does happen and you have to suffer through it....don't give up. I know for certain you can use weaker opiates to reduce your methadone intake over time to very low levels and eventually stop, for up to 19 days in my case, by taking just a few hydros a day. I tapered down over several months to get there, but I got there. I wasn't doing it with a plan to go on subox but it gave me the path unexpectedly and it will work for you too. Hopefully in the next couple of days. I read Dr Js thoughts on PW and the level of w/d before inducing and based on that I think you have it right. I do know this. 24mg of sub is a lot and is a lot stronger than other opiates, just in a different way. When I was taking three of them a day I could tell it was way too much from the get go. Just hang in there and you'll get through this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey cityman - I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Don't worry, the w/d will hit soon enough. You sound a lot calmer and a bit more positive. I was going to say try not to worry so much, then I realized that this IS a big step. And I think it's completely normal for you to have some anxiety and worry over this transition. But I know you can do it. Keep up the good work and keep updating us. Hope you had a pleasant day. By the time you read this it will be another day behind you and one step closer to your "new" life.