It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: hey there, new here
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'll try to keep this short and sweet, I have been on subutex for the past year and a half. I was smoking/snorting tar for about four years when I went to inpatient treatment and managed to stay clean for about six months before my slip IP. Back off and runnin for a couple months finally got an appointment with one of the few sub doctors in town and have been seeing her once every two months for my "counseling". I started out only taking one 8 mg once a day around noon everyday but recently found myself needing at least a half in the morning to get myself going. I'm just concerned I guess because I feel like I should be going in the other direction, taking less not increasing my dose. The first year on subutex has been really good but I know I should be getting off soon especially with the whole needing it in the morning deal. Anyone have thoughts or similar experience? Also hello to everyone out there!!

Post subject: Re: hey there, new here
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TRUCKHOUSE138 wrote:
I'm just concerned I guess because I feel like I should be going in the other direction, taking less not increasing my dose. The first year on subutex has been really good but I know I should be getting off soon especially with the whole needing it in the morning deal. Anyone have thoughts or similar experience?
Welcome to the forum, TRUCKHOUSE.

The only time you should be going in the other direction, and taking less should be if your wanting off, and attempting to taper. Otherwise, once you find a stable dose that best works for you, it's ok to remain there as long as you wish.

With the very long half life of bupe, taking 8mg should hold you an entire day, and longer. There can be so many mental games being played, with your mind and body trying to get you to take more. The 8mg is a pretty hefty dose It's usually best to take the sub once per day and go on about your business. But if it is some mental games being played on you, what you might try is splitting the dose, taking 4mg in the am when you get up, and the other 4mg in the early afternoon, about 6-8 hours after the first dose. That may make a difference, and satisfy the need for "more" sub. If it does, you will have your answer!

If your struggling with the sub, then it may not be the best time to get off and stop taking it? If your having any issues right now, then tapering and/or jumping may present even more problems than you want or need? Just sayin. Think it over and try the split dose. Give it a few days if you decide to try. Let us know how your doing. Hope this helps and best wishes.

Karen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Karen here. 1 year into suboxone treatment isn't the time to start tapering if you are having cravings still. I would highly recommend trying to get into some additional treatment or group therapy to get some firm recovery tools under your belt before you start to consider a taper at all. Don't feel like it is a race to get off the medication, it is far more important to feel stable and have some good time of normalcy first. I hope you don't feel any pressure to discontinue treatment because of someone else...that's just not the way it should work.

Welcome to the forum! Stick around and read a bit.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you so much for your responses and input. I have no support or group counseling I am just kind of going this thing alone so it is nice too talk to other people that are in the same boat. I think a lot of what is going on with me right now is just mental, I haven't been getting the same satisfied feeling as I first did when starting subutex.today I woke up and did not take anything I am just going to go back to One 8 mG at noon. I will keep you posted on how that works for me. Again thank you so much for your feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

TRUCKHOUSE138 wrote:
I have no support or group counseling I am just kind of going this thing alone

This is now incorrect... You have found us and we are here to support you! Hopefully you will find here what I have found and that is a community of people who know what you're going through, who won't judge you but aren't afraid to shoot straight with you, and who generally care for your well being.

Recovery is something that NONE of can do alone. Now you don't have to. I am so glad you found us, please keep posting and keeping us up to date with your progress and any questions or concerns that you may have. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here that will help you through your recovery and well past it. I have never met a group of people more caring and thoughtful (especially on the Internet!!) than these people here.

He's to you and your recovery, much luck and much love!

John (Reprieve)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your never alone here I promise. So many great members that truly care, and most have been right where you are now, so they understand exactly what's going on, and how to best get through it. Stick around, you are most welcome here! :D

You have to do what you feel is best for you in the end. You will receive different advice and suggestions along the way. Take what you feel is best for you and leave the rest alone. I will tell you how it was for me, and someone else will explain how it was for them, which may be different than my way of doing it. No one way is better or worse than the other. What matters is that you either want to remain on subs, or you want to get off. If staying on, get the dose right for you, and stick with it for as long as you wish. If you want off then a slow and steady taper is suggested.

Read around the forum and discover the many threads and posts with so much valuable info contained in them. Many stories, so many courageous people here, all willing to help and support you! :D

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with others who have suggested that a split dose could be beneficial for you. It's a slippery slope, but dosing twice a day could easily bring down the total amount of suboxone being taken. You could still get away with the 8mgs a day, but take 4mg in the AM and 4 in the afternoon. It might keep you stable and ease your guilt about having to take more suboxone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you thank you thank you everyone who has replied to this post. It is so good to know that I am no longer alone in this and have somewhere to turn for answers, and Support! this is already given me more hope than I've had in the last couple weeks. I have been trying to stick around and read some things. Some of the things are encouraging and some of them are terrifying but I am glad 2 read them just the same. Once again thank you everyone and I hope you all are doing well this evening.

GB. Josh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Glad to see you found this site! I agree with all of the feedback you've been given....you will know when the right time to taper is.....trust me.

I use this site as a source of support and also SMART Recovery, if you want to check that out too. Both very active. :)

Welcome to the site. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Josh,

Checking to see how your doing today? Please don't rule out splitting your dose if you find yourself struggling taking the 8mg around noon. It was suggested to me that splitting was helpful, and it sure was at the time. Yes, it can be mostly mental, but whatever works right?

Anyway keep posting your progress. Your helping many others when you put your results down. And do as much reading as you can on the many threads and posts. So much valuable info that will give you more insight as you continue. :D

Karen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:12 pm 

Welcome here Josh,

Did your doctor suggest you take your dose at noon? Just curious. Mine told me to take it around 9 or 10 AM, similar to you. A couple of times I forgot to take my dose until around 5 PM and then took it. With the long half life of Bupe it takes awhile to feel any withdrawals.

I agree with you that it is probably mental. Take it earlier like I do and see if that helps some. You can split it, but most say to dose once per day and I agree.

Yes, we do have some frightening stories here on the forum. We are a pro Suboxone site first. If a person is ready to stop the Sub then we support that too. The obvious goal here is to stay clean, whatever way you choose. Feel free to skip the scary stuff and only read what you want. Just don't go back to abusing opiates or other addictive meds.

Glad to have you with us.

rule