It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: hey new this website
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:34 am 
New Poster
New Poster

i guess this will be my introduction cuz not a 100 percent sure what i'm doing. i've struggled with drugrs since my teens and it just continued to spiral out of control to were I was twenty years old shootin h. It took me almost losing life before I realized how fucked up i was and all damage to my family made me feel like a piece of shit. After my near death epierence i went to rehab whiched worked great for me, i came out a new man. But for me something was still missing i decided to take a chance and move half way accross the country wuth my buddy drug free. Things starting off well but a few months down line i started to slip with oc and opiates and i made a choice ti try for subxoxne and been on it ever since. it's worked well for me but the proplem i have to hide it cuz my family would be crushed if they knew i had slipped up and if they knew about subxoxone they would still consider it using. i've been on suboxoxne for about 1year and its worked great its just i dont wanna have to be on this for the rest of my life. and i'm really considering trying to get off subxoxne but i'm sure how to go about that. i would like to detox some how with out my family ever finding out about my slip up since i moved alll the way out. i'll take anything anyone gots to offer as far as advice or anything. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 am 
Hi limited and welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of helpful information here as well as supportive people. Congratulations on getting clean and getting on Suboxone. As you have already found out, it's the STAYING clean that's the real fight. Please don't be in too much of a rush to get off the Sub. You can't put a 20 year h habit behind you in a few months. When I first got on sub I thought it was going to be something like a 12 week program. When my doc said that people like me with long term habits should stay on it for a least a year and probably two, I was horrified. But since that time, and a couple of relapses, I have found that I need to stay on Sub to keep my addiction in remission while I work on the underlying issues.
I think you already know that being on sub isn't the same as using. Hopefully you can educate your family and not let them pressure you to get off too soon - relapses can be fatal. There is a lot of info out there. Try NAABT.org. You can get educational materials for your family. Sub is an approved medication to treat a genuine disease, not just another way to get high. It has saved a lot of lives. I hope you'll stick around and keep posting.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi LimitedNov and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us and I hope you can find some support here - I know I have.
I'm happy to hear you've done well on suboxone. It's a shame you can't share it with your family, but it's misunderstood by many people. As for going off suboxone, I'm still on it and probably will be for the long haul, so I can't give you any personal experience. However, there are many threads here under "Stopping suboxone" that speak to tapering off. It's widely thought that a long, slow taper is the best way to minimize acute and post-acute withdrawals. And I'm sure others who have stopped will chime in. Take care and good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey limited, welcome to the forum. Good to see another IV "H" user who got clean. There are very few of us who are not covered by about 6 to 8 feet of soil. You know why? Because very few of us are ever able to get AND STAY clean. In fact, something like only 2% to 4% of Heroin addicts are able to achieve long term sobriety.

Messed up, ain't it?

I went to prison for almost 17 years. That's close to two decades. I went to prison for armed robbery. Luckily, I never physically injured anyone during the commission of one of those crimes. Or I'd probably still be locked up. But you know what was one of the first things I did when I got out of prison? I got a doctor to prescribe me Vicodin. Did I need the vicodin? Well, maybe, but I could have lived without it. My back pain (I have a disc that pushes against a nerve) was mild to moderate and mostly controlled with ibuprofen, but I convinced myself that I needed those vicodin, and within about a year I was all the way up to 150mg to 200mg of oxycontin each and every day. Shit wasn't even getting me high any more, it was just getting me to the point where I wasn't sick.

And I got clean, then relapsed, then got clean, then relapsed...over and over and over again and again and again, for about 5 solid years. Until my therapist told me about suboxone and suggested I try it before I ended up killing myself.

Suboxone for ME was AMAZING. It wiped out my urge and obsession to use drugs. Completely.

And I'll tell you something else. I also wanted to get off suboxone. Not because of any outside influences like my family or a job or anything like that, but because I felt like I thought I could or should be able to stay clean on my own, but I came very, very close to picking up drugs again when I got down to 1mg per day of suboxone. (I'm not trying to scare you out of tapering off, just telling you what happened with me)

Anyway, after doing some soul searching, talking to my therapist, my suboxone prescriber (who is an addictionologist) and my wife, we decided that the best course of action for me is to stay put. So, I am, at least for now, staying on suboxone. I have a good quality of life, and I can afford the medication and the doctor's visits.

Take your time and make an informed decision. Read these boards, read other boards. Talk to your doctor. If you're not already working with a good substance abuse therapist, find one. Pick their brains. Do the research. Arm yourself with information.

THEN, and ONLY then, should you make a decision about what to do in regards to your suboxone treatment.

Welcome 8)

Post subject: Welcome to the Site....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:36 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hey Limited......
Welcome to the Forum.. I hope you get as much out of it as I have. Its a great place to share and read about others that are in Recovery as well... That being said I was never an IV user my DOC was Oxycodone and I REALLY liked it to the tune of about 300 - 350 Mg's a day.. I have been CLEAN (and I consider it clean) and on 16 Mg's. of Suboxone for almost 17 months now. I go to counseling and therapy and life is Good.... Not perfect but good. As I'm sure you know Suboxone doesn't make All of your problems go away, But it sure gives you a fighting chance to stay in the game!! IMHO any ways.... It's to bad that you couldn't educate your family a little so they could be proud of you like they should be.. Know that we are proud of you and we know what it takes to do what your doing.... :) I am curious?? Are you under a Dr.'s care and are you going to counseling because both of them would be critical in you slowing down or Stopping Suboxone....
Like others I am in it for the long haul so my taper etc. is down the road so I can't give you any insight on that But, I wish you well and hope that you keep posting and become an active member of this Forum. I think you will find it very helpful!!!! Take care of yourself and best of luck in your continued Recovery.....

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:51 am 
New Poster
New Poster

yes i am under a doctors care but i dont have a consuler. i think i've decided that i will stay put on suboxone even though telling them about it is not an option just couldn't go through losing there trust again which i know will happen if i tell them i'm on subxoxne. i was curious as to how a drug consuluer works and what they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome! you are in the right place for support! It's amazing here!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject: Keep Coming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Limited,
Glad your still here and checking the Forum... What a counselor would do is mostly listen to you and try to help you sort out the underlying cause of addiction? they are very helpful if you ask me. Between this place and my counselor that's where I get everything of my chest.... It works great for Me!!! Keep posting there is plenty of people out here trying to do the same thing as you...... Take Care..

God Bless
TW