It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hey I’m new :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey so I just thought I’d introduce myself :D I’ve just came across this site and I’m hoping to get some help!

So I was addicted to pain killers, oxycodone only. I was a moderate user for a year using up to 200-300mg oxy a day towards the end. Anyways I decided enough was enough and left my job working the city to sort this mess out. I went on subs 2mg in the beginning then eventually my dose was 8mg. I’ve been on suboxone 9 weeks total. I expressed to my doctor I want to taper quite quickly and just use it as a stepping stone whilst under going daily drug therapy & meetings. So I’m now I’m 2mg a day I tapered every two weeks by 2mg to get to here.

I also want to mention I have smoked weed throughout this experience.

At around the 4mg mark, as I was getting used to the dose - I would feel very nauseated in the morning. If I smoked a J I would automatically be sick but then feel immediately better. If not the nausea continues and I just couldn’t eat anything for the day. I’ve lost about a 14lbs in two weeks because I literally just couldn’t eat. The sickness would pass around 3/4 days after my reduction.

However, now I am on 2mgs it still hasn’t passed and it’s been over a week. Am I tapering too quickly? Is it anything to do with the weed? Any answers would be appreciated.

My doc wants to keep me on this dose for quite a while but I am keen to come off and live a totally clean life, stopping the weed eventually too (personally think it’s helpful all the time I am tapering)

One more thing. What sort of withdrawals should I expect when I finish the suboxone? This is something that worries me greatly as the only reason I agreed to move over to suboxone was because I couldn’t hack the withdrawals from oxy and the addict in me wouldn’t let me taper however much I tried.

Thank you all so much I’m advance I truly appreciate it. :D

Post subject: Re: Hey I’m new :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:46 am 

Slow it Down, now. At 2mgs your just now getting started with your taper. Easy does it from now on. How much loNger? Weeks if you want this to be as painless as possable. Your dr is right on this. The weed smoking isnt making you sick, it is more likely all the opiates leaving your body now, not just the bupe. this will take 12 weeks acutely. . If you ever have a problem with craving and such, never feel ashamed to go back on Subs. It ll save your life. No matter what they tell you in thoses meeting rooms. And without meds you ll need thoses meetings,surely. Its one or the other theses days. I could give a warning about how short term sub use fails most of the time, but you seem to be on your way out , i wish you well, and ,yes, Slow it Down....Razor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello! Just thought I'd put in my two cents. By the way, were all happy you found us! Please continue to come here for support even after your taper!

So what I would like to know is this; Why do you wish to taper so quickly if you don't mind my asking so? In my opinion, you oughta give your body & mental state a break. The pain you feel is from all the opiates leaving your body. I'm no doctor, but I can tell you that I have been on Suboxone for about a year & a half and I've never been so comfortable/stable/all things I was not when I was still in active addiction & it's all thanks to Suboxone. This drug really is meant for long term maintenance IMO.
Have you ever tried breaking up your doses throughout the day? I am currently on 8 mgs a day. I used take the full 8 mgs, but now I take 4mg in the day, 4 mg at night & I've found that to be adequate for me. Maybe if you tried that, you'd find it better!

Let us know how you're doing & keep us updated!

Love,

Ash

I may not have all that I want, but thank GOD that I know I have all that I need

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:32 am 

I'm definitely with razor, the sickness ur feeling is probably from the withdrawal, especially since ur still having it at 2mg. Nausea was always a part of my withdrawal symptoms (from any opiate). In rehab I lost a lot of weight because I couldn't eat. That's just my opinion on the sickness ur describing.

You've only been on suboxone 9 weeks, and u haven't been stabilized if u have just kept bouncing around on ur dose. The constant changing isn't good. I know u want to use the suboxone as a stepping down medication, but ur going too fast. When u use it at a detox medicine, I'm not sure ur going to bypass any withdrawal within that short of time period.

Like razor, I worry about what comes after, when ur finally off suboxone and the cravings hit u. Trust me, I'd love to not have to take anything and just wake up in the mornings and be 'normal' but I know that's not going to happen for me. Those cravings ruled my life, without suboxone I don't think I could have ever had peace. Not everyone is like me though, there's plenty of ppl who can go on and do meetings and counseling and not have to be on anything like suboxone. I'm definitely not saying u have to have this medication to do that, but if ur an addict, u will have to do some form of recovery in ur future.

2mg is a great dose. If u decide to continue dropping, just do it slowly with small drops at a time. Whatever u decide, I wish u the absolute best! Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you so much for your replies!!

They were all so helpful. Okay so the reason I want to get off quickly is 1. because i'm on supervision so I have to go to the chemist everyday. They keep fucking me about with my drug tests because my doc doesn't deal with oxycodone addiction very often, its usually heroin so they have to send it off for special testing. 2. I don't want to feel trapped / prisoner to anything any longer. I don't want to have to take something every day, Ive had to come off work to do this and I cannot go back all the time i'm on supervision,

things at home aren't good so I really need to leave within the next two months.

Thank you for reassuring me guys i really appreciate that, I guess i'm just scared if I stay on the suboxone too long I am going to have major withdrawals again like on the oxys. Im going to stay on 2mg for a while as yes I am an addict, and I think it may be too early for me reading your responses. Maybe I can just push my doc to get me off supervision.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:59 am 

I totally understand the reasons ur wanting to taper, it's definitely understandable. Sometimes I wish I could just go see the doctor, get my script and go, unfortunately after all these years there's still things I'm required to do by my doctor. I still have to wait hours upon hours to see the doctor at the day I'm scheduled to (that's the part that gets me). I know that isn't comparable to seeing a chemist everyday.... but I still know what u mean and it can get very frustrating. The financial part for me can get really hard at times. That's probably my biggest worry.

What I try to do is just remember how awful my life was before this medication gave me a fighting chance. It's better than how I was living before, so that helps motivate me during times I get so frustrated. Maybe that could help u a little bit.

Only u know when ur ready to taper and stop, so if ur ready then ur ready, I totally respect that :) I'm not at all telling u that u aren't ready, I just want u to be sure that u are.

Maybe ur doctor won't have u on daily supervision much longer. Has he/she gave u any ideas of how long the supervision lasts? If u go so long without any failed screens, does the daily thing let up a bit?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey,

Yeah so I have to have two opiate free tests. Ive had both of them but the first they never got the results back for and im waiting on the 2nd. hopefully when that comes back clean ill be off supervision then wont mind being on the meds a bit longer! I hope so anyway :) I do think im ready, not to quit therapy yet but to quit subs yes. I will definitely be taking Razors advice tho and if I do have cravings then hop back on them :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This may sound like a dumb question, but what does a chemist do exactly? Hahaha I'm not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed. I completely & utterly agree with Jenn, as she is a really good person to go to for advice about or Suboxone.

But now that you're on 2 mgs (which is a great dose) give yourself a mental BREAK. When I say that, I mean try not to look at the negatives & look at the pros. You have come this far, you're now on a life saving medicine & now you have all of us! I seen that you mentioned something about your home life not being too good... Literally get all the negativity out of your mind & focus on what ZeShanti wants. What can ZeShanti do to improve? To excel?

There are people that are on Suboxone & have been on Suboxone for a longgggg time that are extremely successful. They have houses, cars, great jobs, beautiful families, etc. Like I said, give yourself some time! It will all come together!

Love,

Ash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:48 am 

Ashlee I think a chemist is what we consider a pharmacist, I'm not sure if that's Australia or where. I'm assuming Z meant having to go dose every day, like methadone clinics have ya do when they go everyday. I think that's what that means :) don't shoot me if I'm wrong.