It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:51 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just found this site yesterday. Very happy I did. Have been reading forums about the dreads of suboxone w/drawals. I have been thinking I need to wean and those forums scared the S*** out of me. I have been on sub for almost one year after about five years of lortab addiction. I have gotten myself into so much trouble financially that I dont think I can afford the sub. My stress level at this point is so high that I am sick. So glad to be here. Will post more of my history as time goes on. Just want to jump in. Not really ever belonged to a forum before and need any pointers in that area as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:30 pm 
Welcome stanna!!

You have to be careful with most of the other forums. They seem to have a very negative outlook on suboxone and might i say, a very false perception of what it really is. Its great that you found this forum as it is the most helpful and has the most information. I think you will find everything you need in a forum and then some right here with us. Again welcome and congragulations on the year that you have in recovery!! Thats awesome!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to say welcome, too. Lifesaver made some excellent points about those other, mostly negative, forums. We're glad you're here and I hope you find the information and support you're looking for - I know I did.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome. I'm glad you found this place. I think it's the best forum for suboxone. Only tip I can give otherwise is that every forum seems to have a "culture" of sorts. Here, people have a tendency to be nice to each other and be supportive. If that's what you are looking for then you are probably in the right place.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject: Welcome stanna!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You've come to the right place. I love, love, love this forum for all it has given me. I've been on Sub since 2005 and tried tapering several times but failed, mainly because I didn't have a clue what was happening inside my body.

This place has educated me. I've read Dr. Junig's information and watched his videos. Wow, what a difference. That dude just calms me down. And then the people on here are so fantastic and informed. You will make actual friends on here. Everyone on here is making very different choices as far as whether to stay on Sub, how long, how much, etc. There's no one right way to do stuff. It's all about helping each other succeed in making the best choices for our unique situations. Like you, I went to other boards and read all the horror stories and all the fury towards Suboxone and I became utterly hopeless. I officially decided to never get off Sub, simply because I believed that was impossible. Then, I came back here and started reading and got the courage back. I'm now successfully tapering. The bottom line is that, IMO, if you're always reading negative stuff, it will sabotage your efforts to get off of Suboxone.

I'm 100% sure I can get off of Sub, and so can you. It takes some time and dedication, but it is doable and your life will be fine if you just pay attention to your body and give yourself a break when you know you need it. I'm eager to hear more information. There's so many tips and tricks for managing symptoms and making it easier on yourself. This is the 73rd day of my taper and I've gone from 8 mg to 3 mg and I'm stable at 3. That's progress! And like I said, I'm a wimp, so if I can do it, anyone can.

Keep posting!
laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I made it off the hard way, but know many who did it with no problems at all. Long and slow seems the way to go. Welcome to the forum!

Post subject: Well Said........
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:59 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi there stanna,
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on starting to take your life back ..
I just wanted to jump in and Welcome you and also say that I agree with 90% of what laddertipper said! I however will be on Suboxone for the long term and possibly the rest of my life?? But that's me and that's an individual decision that I made with My DR., My Therapist and myself all having input. I very much agree with what was said about this Forum! It has been a BIG part of my Recovery and help me understand my situation better by listening to others tell their Story! I am also an Alcoholic in Recovery and when I walk into the Halls of AA I start to feel Safe and OK!!! That's how I feel when I come out here and share with all of you folks. So please keep coming and keep posting your progress and questions so we can continue to HELP each other. Best of Luck in your Recovery stanna.

God Bless
--TW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am new to forum and am happy to have found this! I am a 20yr.opiate addict tried almost everything to stop and finally for the past 3yrs. have been able to make alot of progress in personal life due to being on Suboxone. I am very worried that yesterday my Dr. informed me that starting in Feb. he is going to start tapering me down from 24mg. per day to 0 in 6weeks.I went thru hell getting off methadone and dont agree with this decision at all. I think from everything I have learned about Sub. that this is way too fast and I dont even want to try! I have alot of other Doctors in my area but very few will accept my insurance I have with employer and would really appreciate any advice from anyone who tried this after such a long time on Sub.I have met others at some meetings but they are all short time users!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:02 pm 
Welcome to the forum divo!!

I dont have any first hand experience with what your asking but i will give you my thoughts about it. That is absolutely outragous!! From 24mg's you should take a year or maybe more to slowly taper from that dose. Actually their should be NO time limit on your taper. The RB pamphlet clearly states that when the doctor and patient both agree the time is right, a medical taper can be done. If at any time during the medical taper the patient feels at risk of relapse, the patient can re-stabalize at his/her original dose for however much more time is needed. That in itself should be your defense. It defeats the purpose to force someone off this medication. Especially that quick and with that dosage. First off, their should be no time limit on treatment period. I believe i would tell your doctor you absolutely do not feel comfortable with tapering because you know your gonna relapse because your not ready. If he says he still wants you to taper, you should find a new doctor. I will never understand a doctor who makes a patient taper. It completely goes against the grain. Just be completely honest with him/her about your concerns and that you are not ready to taper, if he is a good doctor who actually cares for you, he will really consider how you feel an possibly hold off on tapering. Unfortunately im hearing way too much about doctors who force their patients off this medication no matter what they say and its just not right. I would do and say everything i could to make this doctor understand you are not ready and you do not wanna go back to drugs. Tell him/her whats the point of the medication if you have to be tapered off when not ready only then to relapse. All your hard work in recovery would have been for nothing and then you would have to find a way to get back on sub. Sorry for your situation and i hope you can find a proper solution!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi divo and welcome. I'm going to be completely honest with you, going from 24 mg to zero in 6 weeks is a REALLY, REALLY BAD IDEA (in my opinion). I'm shocked that your doctor would suggest it. If you're starting to taper from 24 mg, you should give yourself MONTHS to taper off down to nothing. Now, with that said, since you're way above the ceiling, you can probably go down from 24 down to around 6 mg (give or take) with relatively little to no discomfort. Now that doesn't mean to do it all at once though. The best way for you to taper down will depend on whether you dose once daily or more than once.

That aside, even if you had all the time in the world, do you feel you're ready to go off suboxone? The best indicator of success (I think) when stopping sub is how ready and able you are to deal with life without wanting or trying or needing to escape. The bottom line, though, is when people stop suboxone, there is a fairly high rate of relapse. That's not to say people shouldn't stop it in their own time. We have people here who have quit sub and are doing great - no relapses. But I firmly believe it's because they were prepared and ready. Some went to individual therapy, others to addiction counselors...either way I think the commonality is they all learned about healthy coping skills, how to handle triggers/cravings, and how to cope with normal everyday up and down emotions.

Maybe it's time to widen your search for a new doctor? And if you are ready to go off suboxone, maybe you should pull together some research and have a heart-to-heart with your doctor about how much time is reasonable for you to taper off. For the least amount of discomfort, you should give yourself several months.

I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I just wanted to be straight with you. If you are ready to taper off, perhaps we can help you put together a reasonable taper schedule. Let's hope your doctor will listen.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I posted about my situation a little earlier and thanks for yor replies, first let me say that I Definitely do not want to stop Suboxone and if he does not want to work with me I guess I will be looking elsewhere. At least in this part of Pa their are plenty of Sub doctors but I need one who will let me decide when to stop, why the hell when I was in meth. clinic this was no problem but yet for some reason with Subs the Docs. are scared of long term it makes no sense to me at all!! I have a real good job and if I cant find another to accept my ins. I will pay cash it would still be 95% cheaper then was I was spending on H&oxys I will stay in touch and thanks for support!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi divo,

Did your doctor give you any reasons as to why he wants you to taper off suboxone? Did he give you any reasons why he would expect you to taper in such a condensed time frame?

Technically speaking, you can taper to zero that quickly, but it's going to be way harder on your system than necessary! Frankly, I can't believe he would ask you to do that, actually sounds cruel.

Maybe if you tried tapering down some between now and Feb. you could go into your next appointment showing him that you have made some progress and this might carry some kind of weight towards opening a discussion with him about a more realistic taper plan. But, that still doesn't solve the problem of stopping suboxone, I believe you shouldn't stop until you feel you're ready. Maybe tapering some now would get him to reconsider giving you a little more time to get off suboxone and during this time I would be looking for the nearest doctor that takes my insurance...even if it's a good drive away.

I would still ask him why he wants me to taper and why so quickly, regardless!

Good luck.