It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hey guys, new here
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking Suboxone for about five months or so, but only for two weeks prescribed. I know that I have awhile yet before I'm due to taper off (about 18-24 months) but, I'm starting to get nervous about it already. As for a lot of patients prescribed this medication it has drastically changed my life. I can be the "functioning member of society" now. A mother and a daughter now. However, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep this up after it's all said and done with the suboxone. Not only that, but the WD during the taper period scares the crap out of me. I'm wondering, guys - will the withdrawals be LESS severe if I were to talk to my doctor about starting a taper sooner than the 18-24 months? Or should I stay the course and stick this out? At this point, stopping the medication would inevitably cause a relapse, but I just don't know how I would deal with the WD's even 24 months from now.

Post subject: Re: Hey guys, new here
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi There, glad to hear that you're life is stable on the Sub. I think that's great. Don't ruin the moment with fears of the future. Especially one that is a year or two away. I know it's cliche' but "be here now". Live in the moment and make the best of it for the time being. Easy to say I know.

But really, you're safe on this medication right now where you would not be if you tapered or stopped it. So my advice to you would be to make the very best out of this time, right now, on the Suboxone and don't think too much or at all about what's going to happen next year or the year after that. If you do well now, today, and each day going forward on this medication let your well being be your guide. The more stable you become the better you will be at making decisions when the time comes to do so.

I know the thought of detoxing is like having a scary monster waiting for you down the road. It's hard not to think about the encounter. But often the very thing we fear isn't as bad as the fear itself. You know the old saying......

All I'm saying is don't spend too much time worrying about WD's so soon. By the time that day comes who knows, you might be so ready to quit the meds that you find a whole new strength inside yourself that you didn't know you had. Or you might not end up quitting at all. Some people do so well on these meds they stay on them. Good luck with whatever happens and thank you for sharing your story with us.......

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That makes me feel a bit better. It IS kind of like a monster is waiting down the road for me. I hope you're right, and by the time it comes to it, I am ready to stop. One day at a time, right?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:52 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome NMFNC!
I have just lost my first reply to you!
Megster has said it perfectly. Focus on the functioning part not what may or may not happen.
When and if the time arrives, there are many things that can help minimise the discomfort. Patience and planning go a long way.
Not everyone needs to stop. I myself plan on being on subs forever. It's an easy decision for me.
You deserve to have some peace, be kind to yourself

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:20 pm 

Hi Not, I agree....stay in the moment! Not always easy! But, maybe you will never stop subs! Who knows! It helps me with pain and depression associated with menopause so I don't know if I will ever be off. I have tapered down to 6mgs because I do feel, for me, its best to be on the lowest, effective dosage. Please, keep posting so we can know how you are doing!

Post subject: Thanks everyone!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Staying on Suboxone permanently is something I've been seriously considering. The problem is, I don't know if my doctor would allow something like that. She is very strict (counts ALL wrappers, I see her once a week) but I believe that having that amount of accountability is vital at this point. Although it could be quite a pain because my co-pay is $40! Anyway, the thing that I am most worried about with coming off is the associated anxiety. I have GAD with history of depression and bipolar I - all of which I am managing without medication. I've been down the road of SSRIs and the like, however, I don't feel that they are right for me. My addiction "started" with prescribed Ativan from my PCP when I was 18. My "first love" were benzodiazepines and I'm nervous that I may justify use of them, while coming off the Suboxone. I know this is so legitimately far into the future but I can't help the worrying guys!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:40 pm 

You may not need benzos when/if you come off. Number 1, clonidine is not a benzo, but it does have something of a sedating effect while also helping with other withdrawal symptoms. 2, there are over the counter meds to help you sleep like ZQuil, so you might not need to mess with a benzo.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've taken clonidine in previous detoxes! It's amazing for anxiety. Definitely something I plan on asking my doctor about, when the time comes. :)