It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hey Guys! I need help!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:29 pm 

Hi! I am trying to do research for my class and I'm running into a brick wall.

I'm trying to find statistics on relapse rates by drug. I'm asserting that opioid relapse is more common than relapse on alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, benzos, etc. I need evidence to back that up.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction I would so appreciate it!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know of any articles comparing relapse rates, or that have quantified the relapse rate for opioid dependence. The problem in doing such a study is in trying to follow people using substances over time, since people addicted to drugs tend to drop out of those studies.

Try pubmed.com, where you can search for keywords. I did a couple quick searches and didn't find what you need, but you may have more success than I did. I would typically look for a review article, and then see what citations the review used. But that is a time consuming process if you aren't actually in a medical library, because the abstracts (what you get on free sources) do not typically contain citations.

Another idea would be to look at 'tip 43'-- if you Google it, you will find it at a government site (I think it is at a SAMHSA site)--- download it, and see if they make refer to relapse rates. That document is over 300 pages long and has a huge bibliography. The download is free, and the information is interesting- and hopefully useful!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:21 pm 

Good ideas! Thanks!

I've tried pub med. I'm fortunate to have an online library at my disposal so I don't have to pay to download articles. I'll definitely take a look at TIP 43. I know I've had to read sections before for my classes, but I certainly don't remember all the parts!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Amy,

This is not anything I know much about. But when i read your post I suddenly recalled a classic text called:
"The Consumers Union Report - Licit and Illicit Drugs". I think it was published in 1970. One of its assertions was that the laws against narcotics use were more harmful than the drugs themselves.

It was an assigned text, I think, in a psychopathology course I took as an undergrad. The book discusses other drugs including nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, cocaine, speed, LSD etc. I don't remember if they discussed studies about relative relapse rates among the various addictions, but perhaps they might have, though perhaps such studies didn't even exist then, if even they do now

The book impressed me greatly and influenced my current libertarian view concerning drugs and drug use.

Perhaps it might worth taking a glance at.

Just at a guess, I'm thinking alcoholics, cocaine addicts, meth addicts have comparable relapse rates.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:27 am 

Hi Amy, Yes, tip 43 is a good place to look or just go to the SAMHSA website and do a search for relapse rates. If available, that should point you in the right direction. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have some really sharp members in my MAT group, and one of the first things they asked me was what are the relapse rates on methadone, Suboxone and vivitrol. That was when I first realized what a dearth of actual data there is on relapse rates. The nearest thing I could find was treatment retention statistics, and even at that there wasn't much. If I find anything I'll send it to you. You may end up finding out that opioid relapse rates are not, in fact, higher than those on alcohol or cocaine, but tend to be more often fatal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:43 pm 

Dearth of info on relapse rates is right! I am still unable to find what I am seeking. The question I had to answer was about the differences in relapse prevention for opioid addicts versus alcohol, nicotine, and stimulant addicts.

There would certainly be challenges in gathering relapse information, like Dr. Junig points out, but I think it can be done. I wonder if the treatment community has resisted trying to obtain info on relapse because the abstinence-based programs have historically had such poor outcomes.

My gut tells me that opioid addicts have the highest relapse rate out there. That they relapse more quickly and that the outcomes of the relapse, like Lilly says, is more devastating than for those who abuse other substances.

This is an example of why I would love to be a part of a research team myself.

Thank you guys for answering my call!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly wrote: "You may end up finding out that opioid relapse rates are not, in fact, higher than those on alcohol or cocaine, but tend to be more often fatal."

I agree with this, though of course I can't prove it. The biggest issue regarding mortality with opiates is overdose, so that the death rate might well be higher. Then again, alcoholics probably die of heart attacks at an elevated rate, but there's no way to prove the connection individually. Alcoholism is toxic to just about every organ in the body I believe, not so with opiates ai don't think, or at least if toxic it's too a lesser degree than booze,, but again. the overdose risk is very high.

I can speak only for myself in the end. I've been addicted to alcohol, benzos, and opiates. I relapsed many times on both the alcohol and benzos. I'm sure I also would have on the opiates as well were it not for bupe

Oh wait, I forgot cocaine, something else I was addicted to. The cravings were absolutely unbearable/ Personally, comparing my experiences, my years as an active alcoholic took the most from me, and out of me. As long as I could get my fix as an opium addict...I bought it semi-legally for the duration... I functioned on a high level.

Perhaps in the end the issue as to relapse rate is somewhat academic. I continue to believe that the biggest risk to an opiate addict are the laws against. I'm assuming that were they legal, overdoses would go down (on the assumption one would be more sure of what one was getting. I think this makes them unique...or almost so...in a discussion of a drugs relative harm potential. Weed is somewhat in the same boat, with its inherent risk exceeded by legal sanctions

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:02 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

godfrey wrote:
Hi Amy,

This is not anything I know much about. But when i read your post I suddenly recalled a classic text called:
"The Consumers Union Report - Licit and Illicit Drugs". I think it was published in 1970. One of its assertions was that the laws against narcotics use were more harmful than the drugs themselves.

It was an assigned text, I think, in a psychopathology course I took as an undergrad. The book discusses other drugs including nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, cocaine, speed, LSD etc. I don't remember if they discussed studies about relative relapse rates among the various addictions, but perhaps they might have, though perhaps such studies didn't even exist then, if even they do now

The book impressed me greatly and influenced my current libertarian view concerning drugs and drug use.

Perhaps it might worth taking a glance at.

Just at a guess, I'm thinking alcoholics, cocaine addicts, meth addicts have comparable relapse rates.

sounds like an interesting book. have you found it online since then?
i really think you'd like the radio show/podcast the freedom feens. as far as drug laws doing more harm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Sis...

I think this is the complete book (not sure, but thinks so)

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lib ... cumenu.htm

It's been a long time since I've read it, but at the time i found the stuff on narcotics really, really interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

godfrey wrote:
Hey Sis...

I think this is the complete book (not sure, but thinks so)

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lib ... cumenu.htm

It's been a long time since I've read it, but at the time i found the stuff on narcotics really, really interesting.

Thanks! Checking it out now.
I love the nickname Sis! :D