It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hey everyone
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. My name is Juan. I joined this forum yesterday in order to document my experience of tapering off of buprenorphine for two reasons. One, I hope to lay out a template for others to use in order to kick the suboxone habit in a way that seems approachable and empowering. The second reason is to find a little support. I am a 100% closet addict. The only person in my life that knows my struggle is the person that supplies me with pills. I have been lucky enough to keep a good head about it and never let my addiction get out of control, but, never the less, after two years of using daily I find myself in a place where quitting cold turkey will make me extremely sick. By coming here to this forum and reading about you guys, I have learned a lot about addiction and how it effects different people, why they use in the first place, and why I used in the first place. I never realized I was hiding from my emotions until I had none. I miss feeling, and it is my main motivation for quitting. I have held a very negative opinion on suboxone and how it is prescribed. I feel like it is way over prescribed and usually for way to long. Reading some of your stories, I realize that perhaps long term treatment is necessary when it comes to someone trying to stay away from other drugs. Still, I think the dosing is out of control, but that is my opinion. I look forward to communicating with more of you, and I hope to all hope that I will stay on this wagon until it takes me home. Thanks for reading.

Juan L

Post subject: Re: Hey everyone
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Juan,

I'm not sure where your negative opinions come from, but I'd encourage you to keep an open mind. Buprenorphine is a medication, and many people prefer buprenorphine treatment over the misery of active addiction. The people out there who talk negative about buprenorphine mystify me, because the steps people take for the sake of their own health is nobody's business but their own. The same is true for you. You can choose to seek buprenorphine treatment, or do something else, or do nothing at all. It's your call to make, and yours alone.

Post subject: Re: Hey everyone
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:28 pm 

Hi Juan, Welcome! One of the things that I have learned in working with those in recovery as a social worker and being in recovery is that everyone' story is different and unique! Each person has to face their own demons in their own way. Sure, sometimes it is easy to see when someone is setting themselves up for failure...but with failure comes success, most of the time! Thanks for listening!