It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey all. I have been on Suboxone for 6 years!!! I know, I know my doctor is nuts right? Anyway I quit cold Sevanteen days ago and am STILL suffering from acute withdrawl symptoms - you know that 72 hours or so thats real bad (acute withdrawal) and then you move into long term withdrawal that changes with the person but be days, weeks, or months. SO MY QUESTIONIS, HAVING DITCHED THE SUBOXONE COLD TURKEY AFTER YEARS, I wanted to know that if I did take like a small piece of one today to just relieve this acute with drawl by now, would I go through acute withdrawal from the beginning again?? Or, since it's been two and a half weeks, would taking a small piece today, and only today be okay and not restart the whole process again. I test negative all day for suboxone so I know I've gotten past that super super bad first couple days? Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, you will probably discount what I say since I am one of those 'nuts' that support long term maintenance. Short answer, no, tiny doses once in a while will not set you back to the original point you started from. Just will temporarily decrease your current symptoms.
If you have gone two weeks you might be better off getting some comfort meds, clonidine and/or gabapentin. Immediate relief from a small dose of Suboxone would be quite reinforcing and slippery slope back into addiction.
Keep in mind I don't know you so don't take anything I say personally.

Quote:
I test negative all day for suboxone
How are you doing that, multiple UA's?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:21 pm 

I deleted ur other thread asking about answers to the above question. U only need this one thread.

Docm2 is exactly who I'd listen to. U can't get any better than a doctor answering ur question.

Also, I don't think it's nuts to be on maintenance for 6 yrs. I've been on suboxone for 5 yrs and could be for life, who knows. But there's nothing wrong with looking at this medicine as long term. More and more ppl are discovering that.

If ur ready to stop though, after 6 yrs, that's ok too. U have given urself time to get ur life bk together hopefully. The amount of time that you've been off buprenorphine, it's pretty normal to still not be feeling great yet. But it sounds like ur getting there.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't take the piece of bupe u have on hand. If u do then ur going to want to take more and more. And if u don't have more to take, ur still going to be thinking about it and mentally torturing urself about it. Imo I'd just stay away from taking any bupe at all.