It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: hey all new on sub
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Have been taking apx 200mg a day of oxycodone for about 3 years. On Thursday of this week I started my sub induction. The doctor gave me a 4mg strip (8 cut in half) waited an hour and gave me another 4mg. Could NOT believe how well I felt at that time. I went in the office that morning was in moderate to severe withdrawl and 4 hrs later it was like I never had taken opiates in my life. She has me on 4MG 3 times a day she said I could take up to 16mg if needed.

Today is my 3rd day and I have already taken my 16mg not sure if I am screwing up or not, I just felt that it took that much this morning to help me feel better. I see her again on Monday I am assuming she will probably adjust my dose.

Question: At what point during the induction period do you say this is the amount I need. What I mean is what exactly should I feel like to know I am at my corect dose? hope i did not make that to confusing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:02 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hey Mike, so glad you got off the nightmare of active addiction. sub is awesome and it is amazing when we feel better so quickly.
Glad you are here...
My dr had a kind of formula for me....he said to figure out what I needed that first day (taking 2mg at a time until I felt normal), that first 24 hours, and then that is what I would take first thing the following morning. He had me dosing just once a day altho some people dose twice a day and people who use it for pain control dose more often. I personally like just dosing once a day. So for me I figured out that fist 24 hours I had taken 10mg. So the second day I started my day off at 10mg but by afternoon wasn't feeling well so added another 4 and then he said to add another 2 if I needed later. (he didn't want me to go over 16mg that first day). So for me I quickly found that 16mg was my maintenance dose. I stayed here for a month, maybe a bit longer, then went to 12mg....and now at 3 months on Sub I'm at 8mg although I might need a bit more I have to conserve the sub I have due to finances.
So, if any of that made sense, that is how I started and found my maintenance dose quickly.
Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey mike - I saw your introduction post and said hi over there, but also wanted to post briefly here. As for your dose, you'll know you're at the right dose when the withdrawal symptoms cease and you no longer have cravings. If it's too high, you might feel sleepy, perhaps dizzy - although I will say that's expected for the first few days. Give yourself a few to several days to stabilize before finding the right dose. It's also okay (preferable, in fact) to take your dose all at once in the morning. Sub has a very long half life (mean of 37 hours) so taking it once a day and forgetting about it gets us out of the habit of popping a pill throughout the day. Hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi miket,

You've already got some good advice, so I'm just gonna go ahead and say congratulations for getting on Suboxone.

I remember that exact feeling of being in pretty decent wd one minute, then the next minute I was great. So many of us go into our induction and we're terrified, wondering if this suboxone stuff actually works....well it does and it always nice to hear from someone who just went through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey mike, i just read ur post, and i wanted to write u back and tell u about my recent experiences. I am on day 5 of Sub., and i to was amazed at how great i felt soon after my first dose. My dr, who is awesome, has me taking 8mg twice a day. So far, that is working good for me, however, i have recently discovered over the last couple days, that my second 8mg dose, which i take around 2:30PM, seems to make me REALLY tired. So, i'm considering either not taking the 2nd dose at all, and if that doesnt work, try taking the whole 16mg at once in the morning. The nurse told me that some patients either take it all, once a day, take the two 8mg twice a day, or break/cut them in half and take four 4mg four times a day.. she said that i could play around with it to see what works for me. I go back on Monday so the dr can see how I doing.
Good luck with everything, and i'm glad ur here posting. Finding this forum, and reading about everyones experiances, really helped me out alot when i was researhing about starting Suboxone, and i'm sure ur post will help others as well. :lol:

Post subject: thanks for the replies
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all the great info and stories. Non confused me so don't worry about that. In fact they made sense in the way I am feeling now. I go to my dr Monday and will go over all with her what I have been taking the past 4 days and I am assuming she will help get me to that right dose. I am also dosing for back pain (bulging disk) and arthritis.