It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey all I've been on methadone for 7/8 years due to heroin addiction (over 3 years off it now!!) I have also been diagnosed with GAD which is an anxiety disorder, the methadone helps with it to an extent but the problem is that because I have been on it for so long I'm only starting to realise now that I've had really no feelings,drive ect and have been locking myself away a lot more recently, have been doing sports type stuff which would require me to be dedicated to it but possibly being on methadone I'm struggling with it!! My doc has suggested suboxone might help, to be honest I don't really know who I am and how to have feelings ect because the methadone has made me numb for so long and I'm just realising it now lol, so we are talking about the switch, would really love to hear from people who possibly have went threw similar things and also the switch and how it is psychologically after it in the future, thanks all and apologies for the long post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I don't have any personal experience with methadone, but we do have many members here who have been on it at one point or another. I know the transition can be rough, and you need to follow doctors orders on the induction closely to avoid precipitated withdrawals. Once you get through that phase you will probably notice an improvement in the issues you talked about.

I'm sure that you will get some responses from members who have made the switch soon. Until then, welcome and good luck with your taper!

Q

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the reply and welcome, yea would be good to hear people's advice and experience too, if I'm going threw the switch we are talking about going into an addiction ward for a month, but would love to know how things would change ect, thanks again

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello YoungerAddict,

I logged on to check my thread and came across your post and decided to chime in. I have quite a bit of experience making the switch from Mehadone to Suboxone, and Qhorsegal is correct, it can be quite rough to say the least. I paid a huge price for rushing the induction.

I was on Methadone for years and ended up at 200+mgs. I wanted off because I was lifeless and had no emotions and felt like a walking, talking stiff. I had good results in the beginning, but began to abuse the Methadone and knew I had to do something. I heard about Suboxone and did some research on it.

I began to taper down and when I was at 60-70mgs I tried to take some sub and put myself into PW's (precipitated withdrawals) which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I hurried the induction and probably should have tapered much lower. I was extremely ill and had to go to the ER. Eventually I tried again, but this time I did my research by reading all the info I could find, speaking with doctors, pharmicists, and a few that had made a successful switch. PW's are no joke.

I had a great sub doctor this time and he had me reduce my Methadone dose to 10mgs. I stayed on that dose for about 3-4 days then completely stopped taking the Methadone. I was told it could take between 24 and 48 or more hours waiting in withdrawals for me to be ready for induction. This is scary and certainly no fun whatsoever, but ABSOLUTELY necessary. Methadone has a long half life similar to bupe. The wait is necessary because if you take the subs too soon you could go into those PW's which you want to avoid at all costs as I said before. You only have to do it once if you do it right the first time. It took me nearly 48 hrs before I was ready. Some take less time. Everyone's different.

He then used what is called a Cows (clinical opiate withdrawal scale) to determine when I was ready and safe for induction to the Suboxone. The Cows assigns a number score to different withdrawal symptoms. Once you hit a certain number the induction can be performed with a reasonable assurance of avoiding those PW's. I can't remember what my score was right now.

The doctor began by giving me a 2mg dose of Suboxone. He had me wait about 45 minutes I think for the dose to completely work. I immediately felt better, but still not very well. He repeated this process of dosing with 2mg of sub every 30-45 min, In the end it took around 12mg to get me feeling exceptional well. He told me to begin taking a total of 16mgs the next day. And that was all there was to it.

I went from feeling so sick in withdrawals to feeling absolutely great in about 2 hours or so. It sometimes can take a couple days to find the right dose. I was lucky and it worked faster for me because I had a great doctor, and I followed the right protocol. It all paid off.

Hopefully you have agreat sub doctor and he/she will use the Cows. I would ask to make sure because I really believe it helps avoid those PW's.

I'll check back later to see how you're doing. If I can be of any further help please let me know. I would be more than happy to help out because I know how scary it can be. Take care and best wishes!

Sub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your reply mate, we have just started talks me and my doc and its a possibility I can go in somewhere for 1 month to detox properly supervised in a unit, I would prefer this all day as would hate to do withdrawals at home on my own!! Not fun!! I'm wondering tho how much things will change not meaning withdrawal but life in general, mentally psychologically Ect need to find myself as I started drugs very young and have been dosed up on methadone all my 20s so far!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Was hoping to hear from more people as I really need as much help info and advice as possible thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Youngeraddict wrote:
Was hoping to hear from more people as I really need as much help info and advice as possible thanks

Hi YA,

If you're wanting to know how it feels to be on bupe/Suboxone I can give you my experience with it. I can tell you it feels better than being on Methadone in my opinion. Much. much better in fact. I felt similar to the way you have on Methadone so I do understand what you're saying.

On Suboxone I feel as "normal" as I possibly can feel. I have no cravings for any other drug, no withdrawal symptoms associated with it as I would on any other full-agonist drug, and able to do anything I want to do without ever again worrying about finding, buying, and taking drugs. It's really a wonderful feeling on bupe, if you're on the right dose for YOU.

I did something really stupid and began abusing my Suboxone not long ago (I've been on bupe 5 years) and got in trouble doing that. I was at very high doses (16-48+mgs) and my sub doctor let me go. I found another doctor and hope I can stay on track this time. I'm doing very well now on 4mgs total daily dose.

One thing I think is very important to mention is the fact that everyone has problems and issues at one time or another. And everyone doesn't feel good all the time either. That goes for addicts and non-addicts alike.

Even though I feel real good most all the time on bupe there are days I might have a headache, a little anxiety over a stressful situation, maybe come down with a cold, etc, etc, etc. No one that I know of feels perfect all the time or every single day. Some think getting on bupe cures all their problems and issues and that's not the way it works. But I'm extremely happy to be on bupe/Suboxone because theres zero doubt that it has saved this guys life! Hope this helps.

SA