It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:34 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I don't smoke but I recently saw an article about how nicotine is just as addicting as hard drugs like heroin and cocaine. For those of you that smoke, how would you compare the two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, I've quit both and for me, heroin was much harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm with you tinydancer. I've quit both and heroin was a lot harder. Almost in another class altogether.

The myth that tobacco is more addictive than nicotine I heard was based on the rate of addiction once a person starts dabbling with either drugs. Apparently it's about the same. ie a person who takes heroin once or twice has as much chance of becoming a heroin addict as a person who smokes a few times has of becoming a regular smoker. But even that's just something "I heard" and cannot substantiate. If I search online, I can't see any studies that directly compare both addictions, so I just think it's a myth pushed by left-wing pinkos of the decriminalisation lobby to rattle society's preconceptions of drugs. These guys politicize the drug debate just as bad as the conservatives IMO.

You can't really compare nicotine and heroin. Heroin has a strong psychological "high" that nicotine doesn't. More importantly, heroin destroys your life a LOT faster than tobacco. I used to say that tobacco's rock bottom came after middle-age, when the doctor delivers some bad news. Heroin's rock bottom comes within years. Even with the destruction to my life I still found it fucking difficult to get off heroin. Tobacco I can give up with relative ease with the help of nicotine patches.

IMO it's a myth.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:39 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Tinydancer and TJ - Thanks for responding. I thought the same thing and thought it was bullshit too, but coming from y'all it definitely gives me more reason to believe that is the case. Someone used this topic as an assignment we had in one of my courses. Here is a key source I remember them using:

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/29/magaz ... all&src=pm

It is hard to talk about something with someone like this where the person making the argument doesn't actually experience. I had smoked plenty of times that were never on a consistent basis but only when I did when I was high or drunk. I never had any craving or any reason to go back to smoking because it never gave me a high.

When the subject comes up, and I mention I am on suboxone it is very hard to explain something to someone that can’t relate or have any experience with. I always use the comparison of suboxone to a nicotine patch. It doesn't make me high or provided the full feeling but takes the cravings away.

I think that people have such a hard time quitting their tobacco use because it is so readily available among the obvious fact that it is addicting or the reason that got you using it in the first place. I never had the luxury of being able to get my drug of choice whenever and where ever at a manageable price.

For that reason I think the circumstances do change to some degree, but nonetheless heroin is dangerously addictive. I'm not undermining the drug, but what if they were both illegal? Or what if heroin (or any opiate for that matter) was legal and tobacco products containing nicotine wasn't? In this situation, suboxone would be just as easy to buy like nicotine patches are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quitting cigs was such a bitch tho. I have about 2.5 years smoke free but I used nicotine gum for like a year or more and that was tough to wean off. Nicotine is really addictive. But I would rather do that 10 times than try to kick opiates once. If that makes sense?

My wife just switched to those electronic cigarettes. They are pretty cool, wish they were around or i knew bout them rather, when I was stopping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anyone who says quitting cigarettes is harder than quitting opiates has never quit a decent opiate habit!!

Quitting cigarettes isn't the easiest thing in the world, but at least I can still function.....can't say that for quitting opiates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

yes heroin is much harder to quit because when you stop using you go threw the horrible withdrawls. I use to smoke so I know first hand heroin is much harder I wish it was like ciggaretes and you could just stop without the horrible withdrawl effect. when you quit cigarettes you just fean for more their is no withdrawl was not any for me at least I would say heroin is 1000% harder to quit