It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have been seeing the same doctor for nearly 2 years (it'll be 2 years in September of this year.)

When I first started seeing this doctor, he knew I had no insurance and was struggling financially, because my wife and I both were on unemployment benefits...so he REALLY helped me out by allowing me to come see him only ONCE EVERY THREE MONTHS. So 4 times per year I visit my Suboxone doctor...which is GREAT!

Now, move forward about 1 year ago, and my wife got a job with the power company, Alabama Power. GREAT job, and GREATER benefits, including wonderful insurance policies to choose from.
We chose a policy with a $250 deductible for in-network, $500 out-of-network...and $0 deductible RX with $5 generic, and on Suboxone, non-generic, it's $60 + 20% for brand-name, with a CAP of $80 maximum. So the MOST I'll pay for my Suboxone, regardless of the number, is $80. It's not a problem with the price of the monthly doses...I don't mind $80 a month AT ALL, considering I was having to pay for the 8mg-2mg pill out of pocket before she got this job...and forking out $400 or more a month on them.

Here's the problem -- my doctor -- the wonderful guy who helped me by letting me come see him 4 times per year -- is an OUT-of-network doctor. Which for me, means that I have to pay basically almost 3 full-priced office visits before my insurance will pay for anything with him.

More of a problem -- I called another doctor today..just checking around. I am NOT interested in changing doctors right now, as I'm comfortable with where I am at, and don't like messing up my safety net and my very long period of being clean...but I just called to get an idea...

So I call a doctor who's listed on Suboxone.com as being a doctor that prescribes it...I asked the lady if he was taking new patients. She replied that I needed to live in the county where he's located, but I don't...I live in the very next county over from him..but I told her I was just looking for insurance purposes..and that I was ALREADY a suboxone patient. She put me on hold. She came back and told me that he would see me, but I stopped her short and explained that I only saw my current doctor once every 3 months...and got a 3-month supply all at once. She put me on hold again.
She came back and said that I would have to come each month, and that he wouldn't see me every 3 months...but he WAS an IN-network doctor, so I would only have to pay my $25 co-pay for each visit. But that means 12 visits per year, versus the 4 visits per year that I have now.

ALSO..I informed the lady that I was NOT interested in tapering, and that I knew some doctors would only do suboxone on a detox level..and bring people into the Suboxone program, put them on Suboxone, then detox them from opiates and taper them back down off of Suboxone. I told her that I was comfortable where I was with my Suboxone and just wanted to MAINTAIN my dosage...so I wasn't interested in tapering off.

She told me that he would eventually taper me off of Suboxone, and that pretty much sealed it for me. I wasn't going to change docs anyway, but I wanted to see a doctor that would keep me on the maintenance dose that I'm on, and not try to ween me off of it...especially since I have some major dental work coming up this year and next year...I'll DEF be needing my Suboxone until after I have this major dental work finished.
I am really not interested in getting off of Suboxone, period. Indefinitely. But I wonder why doctors want to try and get people off of it, instead of maintaining people with the medicine. IT HELPS...AND IT HELPS A LOT!!! And it's MUCH safer and better than OPIATES!
Does anyone have any ideas on this, besides the 30 patient (first year) and 100 patient caps that docs have?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:17 pm 
jonathanm1978 wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas on this, besides the 30 patient (first year) and 100 patient caps that docs have?

The short answer is: different Doctors have different philosophies on 'maintenance’ and detox timelines.

-Travis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am wondering paying every three months full price compared to paying discount/copay 12 times. Do the math and decide from there. I although have to agree it's hard when you have a doc you liike and the thought of changing even if the money issue were better is sometimes scary. Unless there was a hundred dollar a month difference I don't see myself changing docs myself.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:19 pm 
"But I wonder why doctors want to try and get people off of it.."

Is that a serious question? Its because taking an opiate for the rest of your life isn't ideal!! It may be necessary for some people but it isn't a GOOD thing!! People like to kid themselves..it may be better mentally to be on Sub for life, but physically it's no different than being on Oxy for life.

Staying on Sub for life would be so easy, but I know I will miss out on some things if I do that, such as a full range of emotions, high sex drive, and natural dopamine and energy levels, to name a few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ironic wrote:
"But I wonder why doctors want to try and get people off of it.."

Is that a serious question? Its because taking an opiate for the rest of your life isn't ideal!! It may be necessary for some people but it isn't a GOOD thing!! People like to kid themselves..it may be better mentally to be on Sub for life, but physically it's no different than being on Oxy for life.

Staying on Sub for life would be so easy, but I know I will miss out on some things if I do that, such as a full range of emotions, high sex drive, and natural dopamine and energy levels, to name a few.

God im so happy that someone stepped up and said what needed to be said in this thread. What do u want out of life to be chained to a pill bottle the rest of your life. Do u know what i would do to be in your posistion? I will b on methadone the rest of my life bc of my pain management isuues. The last thing u should want is a Dr who would just keep u on a maintenance dose if i was u i would look into finding a new Dr who cares about you enough to try and get u off of this shit not keep u on dope the rest of your life. There this so much more to life than being on suboxone and i know ill get alot of shit for this. But suboxoned was desgned to be a short term drug it was never intended to ge this life long drug that peole want it to be. There i said it but if u dont like it im sorry but its the truth staying on suboxone methadone any of this shit without pain issue is a crutch to not have to deal with life truly sober. And i dont buy into suboxone doesnt make u feel good it doesnt get u high but it def alters your mind state and makes u feel something. I was on it for yearS i still got a buzz the last day i took it and thats my ersonal believe which im entittled to as to why u see so many people dont even want to think of coming off subs shit even down in dose. I dont buy into someones addiction is so bad they need to be on something the rest of there life unless you have serious pain management issues. But if u dont u r just holding on to subs bc.u dont want to face reality sober.

And im sorry to all of u who get mad reading my post but i ask u to sit back and say do i really need to be on suboxone for life. No matter how bad your addiction was you got clean U not suboxone and if u want to get off subs u can do it.

Last edited by Bboy42287 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry, but you haven't read my posts, obviously, because I have MAJOR dental issues that cause me to swell up with abscesses regularly, and constant arthritis that's eating away the meniscus in my knee...along with the chondral flap that was the beginning of the arthritis pains..
So I'm going to be on SOMETHING...just because you believe various things about being tied to a pill bottle, for me it's relief from arthritis that would normally make me walk with a limp.

You're telling a guy who's had a baseball in his mouth with no dental insurance and cried with knee pain nightly that he should just live with that stuff and deal with it, because it's normal to do that....

I never asked anyone to condone my usage, nor anyone's blessing here...And I damn sure didn't come here to argue..

The rules clearly state what to discuss and what NOT to discuss, and I don't appreciate you putting down my means of dealing with things in my way and fashion..and that goes for anyone who wants to belittle what I've said. There's a HUGE difference is people who take it "just because" and people who take it and actually had legitimate reasons for opiate use to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im sorry but i just think its messed up how once some said using meds the rest off your life unless u have pain is not the best train of thought. Than "dental work" turns into major dental health problems and u also have a knee injury.

Im sorry ill just leave your thread alone but i just find it odd all of the sudden u have chronic pain after what ironic and i posted. There i said what i had to say i wish best of luck and take care.

I need a cool down period good night guys just something about this thhread trigger something in me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:47 pm 
If you live with daily debilitating chronic pain issues, why the hell would you want to be on Suboxone?

Why not take a full-agonist pain medication?

If you are in so much pain that you are visibly limping, I can't see a doctor forcing you to detox off pain meds in favor of buprenorphine.

I just know that if it were ME, and I was gonna take opiates for the rest of my life, I'd be on the good shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy42287 wrote:
Im sorry but i just think its messed up how once some said using meds the rest off your life unless u have pain is not the best train of thought. Than "dental work" turns into major dental health problems and u also have a knee injury.

Im sorry ill just leave your thread alone but i just find it odd all of the sudden u have chronic pain after what ironic and i posted. There i said what i had to say i wish best of luck and take care.

I need a cool down period good night guys just something about this thhread trigger something in me.

1) There are other areas of this website, areas where people can post their "STORY".

2) There are also introduction threads that people can create when they join.

Why don't you try checking these areas before you say that someone "all of a sudden u have chronic pain"

Pot. Kettle. Black.

You "said what you had to say" the first time you posted. Now you've "said what you have to say" again. Is using the phrase "I've said what I have to say" your way of getting the smart remarks in and using that wording so the mods think you won't overreact and be all accusatory towards someone else?
Have you even bothered to READ any of my posts before you go and pass judgment or belittle MY DECISIONS?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ironic wrote:
If you live with daily debilitating chronic pain issues, why the hell would you want to be on Suboxone?

Why not take a full-agonist pain medication?

If you are in so much pain that you are visibly limping, I can't see a doctor forcing you to detox off pain meds in favor of buprenorphine.

I just know that if it were ME, and I was gonna take opiates for the rest of my life, I'd be on the good shit.

Ok:

Quote:
if it were ME

But it's not. And here's why:

Quote:
I'd be on the good shit.

See, that phrase is a problem for me. You'd be on the "good shit"???

So, if you get rid of the pain, but you don't get the euphoric, fucked-up feeling, then it's not the "good shit"??

I'm sure hoping that I'm reading this wrong, but this looks like an active addict that's seeking drugs for the euphoric effect, NOT for the relief and pain management.

That's the difference in me and you. I don't want your so-called "GOOD SHIT."
I want to manage the pain, and I do so with a drug that doesn't cause me to be all screwed up and also causes an EVER INCREASING TOLERANCE BUILD-UP.
If I wanted to be on the "good SHIT" and continue dealing with things in that manner, I would have NEVER sought out treatment. But that's just me, I didn't want to be euphorically buzzed forever because I was dealing with pain.

See, I don't mind bearing some pain, and walking with a bit of a limp, moreso when it's colder or when thunderstorms are rolling in...I don't mind a little bit of discomfort. I can do that with Suboxone.
But with your "good shit", there's never enough. For any addict, there's always more pain, and more excuse to take more pills. And more tolerance building up. I blistered my brain through $47,000 in a mere 8 months of getting high...whether pure cash money invested into 80mg oxy's (because I NEVER held a script for oxy's...only lortabs and percs)..or buying shit with credit then selling it for the cash to buy oxy's. And it wasn't just ME and MY CREDIT..it was someone who came into the picture and didn't realize the situation wasn't in her favor from the start. She was used..mostly as an enabler, and a gateway. When the money ran out, the stone-cold heartless, cruel person inside me that was the addict, booted this person and removed himself from the situation. I would've never done that being a NORMAL me, NOT ON the "GOOD SHIT."

I could go into a VERY much longer post about your comment, but I see that you're mostly trying to instigate, and it seems to me that your addiction still has much rule in your life if you'd rather be on the good shit than something that helps you cope without DISTORTING REALITY. If I wanted to live my life in a blur and in distortion, I never would've cleaned up my life. And I wouldn't be interested in using a drug that allows me to lead a normal life without distortion and euphoria and still feel the emotions and feelings that I feel.

I don't know how Suboxone affects some of you, but ME...MY sex drive is fine, I still have a higher sex drive than my wife, and I still manage to have sex with her that is as hot and steamy as it was before I ever got intro'd to Oxy's. And until someone posts studies with proof that long-term effects of Suboxone are FAR WORSE than long term effects of OPIATES (liver failure, kidney disease, stomach ulcers...just to name a few)..and none of those have been present in patients on Suboxone 5+ years....

If you disagree so much with everything people say that's pro-Suboxone, why are you here ...other than to instigate and belittle people? I joined the site because I thought there were people like me who were members here, if I wanted to argue, I could easily pick up the phone and call any number of EX-FRIENDS who still chew up their opiates for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day...and get a good ol' heated argument about their addiction and it's problem...like them pawning everything they own to buy more pills on the street, or selling stuff cheap to buy more...and some of those EX-friends have called me up trying to sell their shit, like NICE table saws, drills, sawzalls, and other tools...but I knew WHY they were selling their shit and turned down quite a few deals, like nearly new Makita 18v drills for 50 bucks...because I was enabled for LONG ENOUGH when I was an addict...I'm not going to ENABLE someone else.
NOR am I going to go boasting on a website about opiates being the "good shit"..because simply put, ITS NOT. They have 1 positive effect, among HUNDREDS of negative effect...and it's not worth it. Not only that, it's only antagonizing to the people who ARE successful in their treatment and maintenance with Suboxone for someone to continually make disparaging remarks about the decisions someone has made, ESPECIALLY when the decisions are for long-term use of Suboxone and not long-term use or reverting back to OPIATE PAINKILLERS.

I've never, not once, had an ever-increasing tolerance to suboxone to the point where it didn't work for pain. The same amount that worked for my pain 2 years ago, STILL WORKS NOW. SAME. AMOUNT. NOW.

So your argument is weak, and if your in the corner for opiates, then you're either actively addicted or actively seeking. There's not any way that you can consider opiates to be the "good shit" and not have some hidden problems that aren't surfacing or that remain dormant and are yet to surface...how can you be any sort of positive reinforcement for new people who are seeking help and guidance with this sort of mindset and ideology?

(edit) oh yeah, I forgot to add..

"there I said it..I said what I have to say." <---- makes it OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Jonathan I am rather new to this site maybe two months or so but found out quickly that it is always the same three that want to get all negative and up in somebody’s thread like their gospel is the truth and the light. I am sorry that some people get thrills from minimizing and degrading someone’s thoughts and ideas and then feel the need to become rude and combative in their defense. This is supposed to be a supportive and therapeutic tool for us addicts but some people get their therapy in causing dissention and pain for others. I apologize.

Everyone has their own reasons and needs for ORT and no one is right or wrong it is what it is and that’s better than using dope everyday etc...We all agree suboxone and even methadone is better than the streets. I am fortunate I have no pain, but I do have thirty years of relapses and never been clean more than a year here and there except one time and then I worked in the recovery community so I had extra insurance for a little longer than my other attempts. I am saying this so as to tell you I have no thoughts of getting off methadone. I am fifty years old. I relapse when I do not take anything and when and if I got off methadone I am sure in time I will be there again. Now in saying that I do not think it is optimal to be on methadone forever but for me it's the next best thing because sobriety never works for me. AND IF I HAD TO CONTEND WITH PAIN WELL THEN FOR DOUBLE SURE.

The greatest thing about this community is there are more people with good attitudes and support than there is bad so take what you want and LEAVE THE REST so to say. To each his own. Good Luck my friend. If it works stick with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

finallyachance wrote:
Jonathan I am rather new to this site maybe two months or so but found out quickly that it is always the same three that want to get all negative and up in somebody’s thread like their gospel is the truth and the light. I am sorry that some people get thrills from minimizing and degrading someone’s thoughts and ideas and then feel the need to become rude and combative in their defense. This is supposed to be a supportive and therapeutic tool for us addicts but some people get their therapy in causing dissention and pain for others. I apologize.

Everyone has their own reasons and needs for ORT and no one is right or wrong it is what it is and that’s better than using dope everyday etc...We all agree suboxone and even methadone is better than the streets. I am fortunate I have no pain, but I do have thirty years of relapses and never been clean more than a year here and there except one time and then I worked in the recovery community so I had extra insurance for a little longer than my other attempts. I am saying this so as to tell you I have no thoughts of getting off methadone. I am fifty years old. I relapse when I do not take anything and when and if I got off methadone I am sure in time I will be there again. Now in saying that I do not think it is optimal to be on methadone forever but for me it's the next best thing because sobriety never works for me. AND IF I HAD TO CONTEND WITH PAIN WELL THEN FOR DOUBLE SURE.

The greatest thing about this community is there are more people with good attitudes and support than there is bad so take what you want and LEAVE THE REST so to say. To each his own. Good Luck my friend. If it works stick with it.

Thank you for the words, I've been molded and shaped into a callous person when I have to be one, so I can argue with ANYONE who wants to argue, but I'm NOT...NOT NOT NOT going to do it over my chosen method of using Suboxone as my pain management selection.
In fact, the doctor that i mentioned earlier in this post is a doctor that writes HUNDREDS of lortabs and oxy's to people daily...I could have EASILY gotten in to see him, told him of my Suboxone, and told him it wasn't working for the pain that I get from arthritis and dental problems...and I could've been given 120 Lortab 10's YESTERDAY. But when I hung up the phone with his nurse, the last thing I said was "I'm not looking to change ANYTHING any time soon, and I have an appointment with MY doctor in a couple of weeks...so I'll just stick it out and see if he gets his BC/BS papers done so he can also be in-network for me."

When it comes to being an intelligent person...I don't think I'm missing much brain power. I've been a self-taught computer repairman for 10+ years, teaching myself everything I could get my hands on to learn about computers. I can put them together, troubleshoot, repair, reinstall Operating systems, and I also play with Ubuntu Linux and other forms of OS that aren't Windows-based. Right now, I'm using my desktop, which is a rig I built 1 year ago, a 6-core AMD system with 8gb of DDR3 ram and 1TB HDD and a 750GB backup..I don't have any friends that I can call with computer problems. In fact, I'm the guy who has all the friends calling when they have a problem...so when it comes to being somewhat smart, I am by far NOT a genius, but I passed a college Entrance Exam last year and the last time I had ANY type of school-testing was in 1997...when I graduated H.S.
I only say that because I possess enough intelligence to see that there are SOME people here who only are here to be counter-productive when it comes to helping people. In fact, they aren't here to help at all...they are only here to make themselves feel superior or feel more adequate in their ACTIVE addiction and seeking habits.
Being told "I would be on the GOOD SHIT" is a MAJOR form of the analyzing that an addict does when they don't want to lose their high, and the reasoning they do with themselves to continue using the D.O.C.

And the person who keeps on saying "there, I said what I have to say" over and over, they think in some way that by saying that, it lets them get around the rules "just that one time" so they can slam another user. But saying it over and over in the very same thread, just so you can get your smart remarks out there and posted, is NOT very subtle. If you don't like what I've said, I frankly could give 2 sh*ts. Say what you want to say..I really don't care about that either, if you're going to post the accusatory statements like what's being posted when you use the term "there, I said what I have to say." If this thread was such a bother to you the first time you said "there, I said what i have to say", then why did you come back, and use the SAME term again so that you could excuse yourself for posting ANOTHER accusatory comment to me??
Wait, DON'T answer that. I already know the answer, and I already gave the answer to that question in the sentences about 6 lines back. I am not going to go into analyzing what has been said by different ones and trying to piece together some explanation as to why they've made their comments...but something tells me that either 1) there are people here who are jealous of the other folks who are ACCOMPLISHED in their recovery and treatment, and by belittling, they think it gets them a step above or accomplishes something...or 2)there are those who aren't happy with their own choices and not happy with their lives, so it's the goal to make everyone as miserable as they are by posting as much negativity as they possibly can, without saying too much that gets them banned or in trouble with the moderating/administrating staff.

I have been a moderator and administrator for MANY different sites, from satellite hacking to file-sharing movie sites...and have helped build sites using vBulletin...so being staff as long as I've been staff on websites, I've see people who are only registered members so that they could post threads that pick and instigate arguments with other members. I've seen every attempt at getting attention that there is from internet forums, and have had to make some hard decisions and ban members for FAR LESS than what I've seen here in this site...
You guys that are stirring trouble are lucky that there are people here who aren't on a power-trip, or you'd be forced to scream at the monitor..because you damn sure wouldn't be able to post without creating a new account on here...unless you did enough to get an IP ban, then you'd have to use a proxy to re-register and come back...
So you're lucky that you still have privileges and are able to instigate the arguments. But you're accomplishing VERY little in your big world...though it may seem that you're doing something huge ....what you're saying means nothing to me, so in MY big world, your LITTLE words mean VERY LITTLE and don't affect my overall gameplan and strategy AT ALL. But thanks for wasting the time to post what you think will be some sort of eye-opener. Just don't expect me to be all like "you're right, I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow, request opiates again, and flush my remaining 43 Suboxone strips so I can start eating pills again and build up that good ol' tolerance."

But for those who ARE truly here to listen and help..I am grateful for your words and if I can offer up any advice or experiences that you feel I may be beneficial to you with, please feel free to ask openly or send me a PM...I'll be happy to do what I can with a keyboard for ANYONE who has questions. (well, anyone who has questions besides "why don't you get on the good shit and start eating opiates again")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jonathan,

I am also new here, and not into dealing with the drama that some people bring to the table here. So back to the topic at hand. I also have pain issues, (had a couple of back surgeries) that is how my addiction started. Oh yea, I was on "the good shit" that's for sure. I went from Norcos to Percs to Opana's and Roxy's. Pretty good shit if you ask me, and they were my scripts, I could have went on a long time like that, in fact I had already before I decided, I wanted my life back, I was tired of waking up sick, going to bed sick. Running out of pills before my script was up. I couldnt start my day without snorting my Opanas in the morning. Yea, it was bad. I wondered what my pain would feel like once I stopped and in my case, my pain level decreased so much I was amazed. I'm thinking, most of my post operative pain (3yrs post op) was from my addiction and Suboxone is taking care of the rest. I stopped using my cane, I can walk up stairs, my whole situation improved. This is just my story and my pain issues.... I still have back pain, but everything else is gone. Suboxone was the best thing I could have done. I sleep great !! That's the best part. Not waking up sick, shaking, cold sweats. I've only been on Suboxone for 12 days now, so I'm not even thinking about getting off at this point in time. But I can totally understand it assisting with my pain issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The rules are clearly posted and you know your post is breaking them. This is an official warning, if you continue to question and show no respect for the op's recovery further measures will be taken.

I do not understand why anyone would assume to know what is best for someone else. This is a support site for people that have made their choice. Once again the saying applies, if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all.

OP, I think it's great that you've turned your life around. If staying on Sub gives you the best quality of life then you are doing the right thing. Of course taking medication for the rest of your life isn't ideal but you weren't dealing with ideal circumstances. I am glad you can let this criticism roll of your back. I do not know why there is so much negativity here lately but I can assure you it is not the norm. You deserve support and respect for your choice of recovery and any further judgement of your recovery will not be tolerated. I apologize for your treatment in this thread and hope you stick around. Congratulations on your recovery and realizing what you need to do to make it last.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I want to add to Breezy's post about this being an official warning. Ironic - this is your FINAL WARNING. No further infractions and will NOT BE TOLERATED.