It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Long story short, I have had 3 other attempts on suboxone that have failed. Two while in rehab (horrible doc's with horrible taper plans that left me 30 days out of rehab sick as a dog both times), and once on my own with absolutely no support and living on the streets.

Flash forward to now. I have been on subs since early may, and despite a few new (what appear to be) side effects, I'm doing great! I have had a full time job since June and I'm pretty good at it, I've reconnected with my family and for the first time in 5 years they are actually acknowledging I exist and are helping me out!, something I never thought would ever happen because my family views addiction as a weakness and their way of helping is doing nothing (tough love). My life is 100x better than it was 6 months ago.

This time around on suboxone has been completely different for me, I realize now that the reason it wasn't working before was because I wasn't making the necessary changes to live a better life. I still have my concerns about suboxone; when/how to finally taper off, are some of the problems I'm experiencing in my day to day life side effects of being on long term sub? However, I can say with 100% sureness (coming from someone who previously hated it) that if it wasn't for suboxone I would still be out there on the streets, hand out-stretched for my next fix and meal, living in a tent by the railroad tracks wishing I was anywhere else or dead.

It's a pleasure to be here and I hope I can help anyone less experienced than myself as I hope those more experienced can help me.

Have a good day everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:39 am 

Welcome MadSweeney!

I have been around ppl at my clinic that have came in and out of this treatment a couple times before finally having success.

The first lady I met when I started my treatment told me this was her third time and she'd even got kicked out for failing a drug screen. She said she called the clinic a month later begging them to take her bk. They eventually did and she's actually the person who's been at my clinic the longest of all patients. Sometimes it takes ppl a bit to be completely ready to surrender. I'm so glad ur at this place now :)

I'm glad u found us and hopefully u will stick around!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Jennifer.

Yeah I totally get it I've been battling this demon for the last 10 years, I've easily spent 3 years of my life doing the tour de' rehabilitation up and down the california coast. I still don't have much hope of ever becoming "completely" sober, but this is a huge step in the right direction. I found the main things that are helping this time are having a good support group, which I always had in the rehabs but then after 30,60,90 days I'd be right back on the street, and cutting out literally ALL of my old aquantences. The down side of this is I often feel lonely I have only one friend I still speak to, but the payoff is worth it. I never dreamed I could ever lead a normal life much less have my own apartment and job again.

I need to expand my support group and I have found that I don't really like the local NA/AA groups, they present to many opportunities for trouble/drama and suboxone isn't accepted as a form of sobriety sooo, figured this forum was my best bet. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 pm 

I'm very happy for you, MadSweeney!

Sometimes we addicts have to repeat recovery until we get it right. And yes! A positive mental attitude makes a world of difference in your success on suboxone.

I hope things keep going well for you and definitely stick around!

Amy