It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone, this is my first post in the forum, but have been lurking for over a year. I want to start off by saying, Suboxone definitely saved my life! It's a miracle I didn't lose my family, friends, job and my life. I had a hardcore oxy habit for around 5 years after 2 bad wrecks (2008), one on a 4 wheeler and the other on my motorcycle. Long story short, i broke many bones, tore many muscles/ligaments and pain meds relieved all the pain. Five years later (January 2013) still on pains meds, around 300mg oxy a day and fed up with what has happened to my life, so I took action and got prescribed Suboxone. I was prescribed 8mg strips 2x a day. The subs worked great, I felt happier, motivated and excited to be free from the oxys! I had a few cravings the first couple weeks of starting subs, but none whatsoever since then. I started the subs on January 31, 2013 and my goal is to finish my taper after 6 months on July 31, 2013. I am also prescribed Adderall 30mg 2x day for my ADHD and it doesn't seem to be working that great anymore. I am sleeping good every night, but I wake up feeling exhausted and unmotivated lately. Could my sub tapering cause me to feel this way in the mornings or could it be that i'm dehydrated? I drink a few Mt. Dews everyday and maybe a glass or 2 of water a day and i'm in good shape 33yr old male, weigh 150lbs 5'11" tall. What has helped other people with the exhaustion in the mornings? My gf and I just found out 2 weeks ago that she is pregnant and expecting our first child (very excited), therefore I need to get in the habit of being woke up at anytime and not getting 8+ hrs of sleep a night lol. Any help is greatly appreciated and I wish the best for each and everyone of you on this forum.
"Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

1st of May I tapered down from 16mg a day to 8mg a day (4mg 2x day) with no side effects at all
June I tapered down from 8mg a day to 4mg a day (2mg 2x a day) and felt fine
July I have tapered from 4mg a day to 2mg once a day (in the mornings) with small side effects
July 15th I tapered from 2mg once a day to 1mg once a day, no problem

So, my question is what should I do next to finalize my taper process? Should I continue with 1mg till the end on July and jump to 0.5mg for a couple weeks? What has worked for other people? Iv'e read other posts about tapering and most of them are from people tapering after years of being on subs.

Thank you!
Justin

Post subject: Hello Justin!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Have you tried taking vitamin B-12? That seems to help a lot of people in the motivation department. It couldn't hurt to try. I remember the Sub hangover every morning feeling. I felt that way once I got down to 4mgs every morning so I would say the taper could be part of the problem and just something you will have to deal with until you jump. When you jump then you have to deal with a whole list of other symptoms. The acute withdrawal from suboxone is not as bad as trying to stop full agonists, but it definitely has its own list of un pleasant symptoms. Once you jump I don't think you will have to worry about waking up at night for the Baby. A cricket can wake you IF you are asleep. Sleep in itself can be a challenge after you stop suboxone. It does improve with time and patience though. Why are you stopping the Suboxone now? Are you ready? Is this the best time to stop seeing as you have a new born on the way? I know myself personally I wouldn't be able to go through this with a new born, but that is just me. I jumped off 4mg 36 days ago.

I am not trying to be discouraging in any way, I am just concerned for you. You sound like you are doing well with your taper so far. That is Great! I can tell you that Mountain Dew is probably the worst soft drink for your health. It is pure sugar and caffeine. My doctor told me to avoid it completely. I would suggest eating a healthy diet, eating the right amounts at the right time, starting some form of exercise daily. Brisk walking just any exercise helps. Starting now will help you down the road. Make sure you are getting plenty of fluids, Water and Juice are best. 6 to 8 glasses a day. Take a multi-vitamin, it does help. Take care of your body the best you can and it will help you a lot now as well as when you stop suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:08 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I am new as well but have been studying this issue for a while much like you. There is a whole list of supplements that will be helpful but the one that stands out to me is L-Tyrosine (actually think its an amino). All I can say is get as low in dose as you can. The drop to .25 and held for a while worked great for me but I do know some people have issues getting here. If I did it again I would have gone even lower as I had zero issues there, but I didn't and it is now day 14. In my case I could handle any of my children being a newborn again. Days 2-8 might have been an annoyance but I say that with all the love to my 3. Needless to say .50 is doable and as thegreatestlove has shown (and many others) that higher doses are doable, but since this was my first and last WD's I was really looking for painless. Did I achieve? Not so much, but if you read my post before the issues you would see that compared to many I had a cake walk (in case you have never done one your odds are high for success generally).

So? .50 can be done, .25 can as well, but get the numbers to .1 or even .075 and I think some could walk off with just a few minor annoyances for the acute period. I don't think anyone gets to walk from the reprogramming, sleep issues, and some lethargy but it can be minimized.

Last thing to point out is just make sure you are ready. I knew where I was in my head and only had my issue much like you due to a medical problems which got me hooked and softly pushed me into an addict without even knowing it. I remember so well when I felt I wanted of hydro and couldn't. Was weak, my head was not there yet and Suboxone gave me that time. As my Doctor said, "you can stay on it for life or you can choose to get off. If you choose to get off, only you will know when its time." He was right.

Last edited by DBMB on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:28 pm 

Hi Justin! I'm glad you've started posting! I'm hoping that your plan is going to work out.

I have a couple of concerns/suggestions. Since suboxone has such a long half life, you may not yet be feeling the full effects from your latest taper. When you get down to lower numbers, the withdrawal side effects tend to increase. It could be that you will have no problems from your recent drop from 2mg to 1mg, but it also could be that the withdrawal symptoms don't show up until the next couple of days.

There is nothing wrong with sticking with your original stop date of July 31st, but my suggestion would be to drop from 1mg to .5mg on that date and perhaps choose a date in August to step off. I think that you would feel fewer withdrawal symptoms jumping from .5mg and that they would not last as long. Also, have you talked with your doctor about comfort meds when you do step off? Clonidine is a good med for withdrawal symptoms.

I would like to know what your plans are for staying in recovery once you've stopped suboxone. Will you be in therapy with an addiction counselor? Will you be going to some sort of group meetings? Do you have anyone you can call if cravings hit? Has your doctor mentioned the Vivitrol shot you could have every month to keep cravings at bay? You need to have a plan of action, otherwise your addiction could sneak up on you again!

Sorry to be sticking you with all of these questions, but it's necessary to think about these things before you stop sub completely.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sorry Justin. I hope we haven't over loaded you with all our questions. I want you to know No ONE is trying to pick your brain, we just care! Amy is the best. She always knows the right questions to ask. Keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Justin,

Welcome to the forum!!!

I'd say the issues you've been having in the morning are because you're most likely in wd in the morning. After you take your morning dose of Suboxone, do you all of a sudden feel better? If so, I'd say you're in wd in the mornings.

As for how to finish off your taper, if I were you I'd get to .5mg, stay there for a week or two then start skipping days. We've had several people who did this and they just stopped taking their dose altogether after a few days of this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for all of the replies everyone! Sorry I haven't been on since my post, I thought my profile was setup to send me an email when someone replied, ugh!

I will be tappering to .5mg this week, since my progress has been at a 1mg standstill due to a death in the family and was out of town almost 4 weeks. The morning wd's are still there somedays, but have toned down and slightly diminished, thank god. My sleep has become full of tossing and turning and waking up my pregnant gf (not good, those hormones are CRAZY right now lol.)

(Thegreatestislove), thank you for the info, it looks like it will be very helpful. Well, I said to myself in the beginning of starting subs that I didn't want to be on them long term (years), so now I feel that I am strong enough and can do this, I have zero cravings of opiates and am motivated to put them in my past. I had been going to (CBT) Cognitive behavioral therapy for 2 months (May, June) and got a tremendous amount of help with my anxiety and adhd. My Dr was amazing and helped me develop tools to eliminate my past addictions and social anxiety I had delevoped from the oxys. I also have my gf to help me with staying sober, she is my biggest supporter and has been amazing through this whole ordeal. I will not risk losing her and especially my baby due to a little pill. I have worked too hard to overcome this addiction, regain my familys trust and be back at my job to just throw it all away. I'd rather die than lose everything and my family again! I forgot to mention in my first post that I overcame alcohol addiction (by myself with no help) and have to say that it was a walk in the park compared to opiate addiction. Anything is possible if we put our minds to it!
Thanks for the help everyone, and if anyboy has questions or needs help regarding their taper, just let me know. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:26 pm 

Thegreatestislove wrote:
Sorry Justin. I hope we haven't over loaded you with all our questions. I want you to know No ONE is trying to pick your brain, we just care! Amy is the best. She always knows the right questions to ask. Keep us updated.

What? It's so not like me to pepper people with so many questions!! :roll: :D

Sorry Justin, my bad! Greatestislove is right though, we just care!

Amy

I'm kind of an expert at this: :roll: :roll: :roll: Lol! I see it from my teenage son all the time!!