It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I have been on suboxone for about three years now and been clean off pills for the whole time until recently I keep running out of suboxone early and had a relapse last month. Now this month I did it again and am scared because I know I'm going to go into withdraw until I get my sub refill. My problem is that I don't track how much I take and I use it correctly up until the past few months I keep taking more than I should but feel like I can't control it I feel like I need more even though I know it won't change how I feel. I want to find a way to only take the right amount but can't trust anyone to give my exactly what I should have every morning with out putting myself at risk of someone steeling my medication. I just don't know why I keep doing this to myself knowing if I take extra I won't get any feeling from it and will then run out early. Any advice on what I should do?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Kchism,

Running out early tends to happen at the beginning because WE ARE ADDICTS. Are brains seem to be wired on the thought that More is More. but i see that you have been on them for 3 years. Has something happened recently why you are reaching for more. How much are you prescribed on a daily basis??

If you don't trust anyone to give these too, I would at least try to avoid having subs with you. Make it a " PAIN in the ASS "to get ahold of them. For instance. Buy a lock box. Put you medication in there and go to work. Do NOT take your meds with you to work . Keep them locked up. So every time you need one you must be at home and unlock the lock box. If you have your meds "On you" at all times, it can be too tempting to take more that you need to.

Plus...just knowing that the more you take does ZERO for you. I would look at some of DR J's videos on youtube regarding subs and how the less you take the better.

Do you see a Doctor that prescribes them to you? Just wondering if the doctor has some sort of counselling program that you can go to. Counselling or meetings might help you get more insight to addiction as well as helpful hints to take your meds the way you are supposed to.

Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the advice I'm on 2.5 8/2 mg a day. I recently started going through a lot of stress I think that is a big part of why I do it and I also do have my meds on me at all times so I really am going to take your advice about not doing that. I think I need to go up in dose but am nervous about asking my doctor because he wants me to start tapering but I'm not ready at all.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:19 pm 

Kchism another thing that Dr Junig suggests is when u have those thoughts of taking more suboxone, immediately go do something, anything, for 20 minutes or so. Once u can switch ur brain onto another thing, those feelings of wanting to take more go away. It really does work. U may have to do this several times but u will eventually kinda train ur brain into not taking extra. I hope I explained that well lol.

Don't beat urself up to bad, a lot of us have reached for extra at one point or another in the past. It's definitely not unheard of. But u don't wanna keep running out early, that's a horrible feeling. Maybe use that as ur motivation. Every time u think of taking more, remember those awful times of being out....that's a motivator for sure!! ☆☆

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the advice yes it is such a horrible feeling right now I'm going through wd until Monday n I've never fully went into wd before from subs but this time I will I'm scared of how bad it will be.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:27 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Kchism. Best of luck. I have been on suboxone almost 11 years. I have a few suggestions. If you let your Dr, know that you are struggling he/she might agree to weekly scripts. Suboxone
is class 3 controlled substance so can be called or faxed to the pharmacy. I have also used a pill container with compartments for each day of the week.
You mentioned having a lot of stress in your life currently. What are you doing to manage your stress?
Buprenorphine is a very potent opiate. When I took a large dose, 16 mg a day, I worried that if I missed a dose that I would go into opiate withdrawal. I once went out of town for 4 days and forgot my medicine and did not experience any withdrawal.
When I got home I just went back to my normal dose of 16 mg a day and was fine. If you are on 20 mg a day, my best guess is that you could skip your dose for several day consecutively and have no withdrawal symptoms at all.

I realize that everyone is different, but I am not the only one who felt better on a dose lower than their starting dose. The dose that I felt best on was 8 mg a day. Sometimes less is more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I struggled with this for a long time. My wife and I both were in horrible sHape and couldn't afford to both go to the doctor so I went and got the max he would give me and we split it from day 1. She's OCD as all hell and would never run out but I worked away for long periods of time and wouldn't have access to hers if I ran out. A Dr will most likely not tell you to do this but it worked for me. I started taking half my dose as soon as I woke up in the morning and as soon as I would start to feel anything abnormal I would take the other half. I did this from 24 MG a day all the way to 1 MG a day over 8 years and I stopped completely taking them 6 days ago. Still having problems sleeping and having pretty severe anxiety but no physical withdrawals other than being restless when I try to sleep. Hope this helps. God bless you and your journey. I'm convinced there is a life without pill colored glasses.