It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I really need some help locating a doctor for my friend. He lives near the NW subs of Illinois and the doc he is seeing now wants to take him off suboxone ( he has been on it for 4 years) He has no money and I need to help him find a doctor. I know most of the docs I called said $200 to $300 for the initial visit! My lord he can not afford that. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can sign him up with the suboxone company to get the pills for free for 1 year, they have a program which I was told by them that for people with low to no income and ge the suboxone for free for 1 year THANK GOD! But finding a doctor that is willing to work with you $$ wise is so darn hard! Should he go to cook county? Is it worth the 8 hour wait? I mean he would wait no problem. But he is ready to get cut off from his doc now that charges him nothing, they charge the state. HELP!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wonder if doctors would be willing to charge a little less if someone didn't need induction. If you are already on Suboxone, seems like paying for an induction is silly doesn't it? I'm sorry you are having problems but thats the way it is unfortunately

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:28 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Almost all Buprenorphine docs will make you pay the full induction price even if you're already on Suboxone. I switched docs from the one who did the initial induction to another one I felt more comfortable with. And even though she gave me a little discount, my visit was still ICD9 classified as an "induction" visit, and I had to pay a large sum of money. Damn these docs. I'll be filling out the waiver to be approved to prescribe Suboxone once I complete my ASAM (american society of addiction medicine) certification. And after that, I won't be doing what these other docs are doing. Also, try finding a doc that has been through what we have, their level of understanding and compassion surpasses other docs. The SAMHSA (don't know if that's the right spelling) has a list of every Suboxone authorized prescribing doc in the nation. You can do a search in your area. That's how I found mine. Most of them will actually talk to you on the phone, since most of these docs run small private practices. And then you can even ask around if any of the docs are in recovery. That's exactly what I did. Really make a point when you see the doc that you are financially challenged. There are many ways they can help you out, one example is documenting the appointment on a weekend and instead of 45 mins only 15 mins (weekend rates are significantly cheaper at most private practices, ironically). Anyways, hope this helps. If I were in the position to help your friend personally, I would do it without any hesitations, but I'm still a couple years from that point. Be well.

MD

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Bless your heart MD and everyone else out there who I know is working their way to helping people like ourselves. I myself am also thinking very seriously about finding someway to help people like me in my community. As I have said on here before where I live is very small and very rural. The opiate problem here is truely an epidemic. The only people I know for sure that aren't using are my mom, brother, and kids, and a few people I know through them. And the first 3 are the only ones I can be sure of.
I live in appalachia. The whole area is like this. When you walk in the local Walmart pretty much everyone you see is either using, knows someone who is, spending money from selling, or in some other way related to the opiate trade here. What is even more sad than what has happened to the place where I grew up and plan to raise my children is that there is no help. As I have said before it took me almost a year of waiting on a list to get to see a doctor. After that we have one mental health facility for a 3 county area. I have had one appointment in the past 4 months and am waiting on my second. There are only like 4 counselors they told me for this whole area. The nearest "big" town is an hour away but help is still hard to find there. We have a small FACTS place here (family addiction counseling and treatment services I think) but they are so backed up with the court orderd stuff that thy don't have room for anyone else.
I want to help. To do something that will have a positive effect on my community. Lord knows we need it, and I think where I have "been there" I can have an even greater impact. It just does my heart good to hear that others are trying to do something to help out where they live. Because I know that even though drug use here has reached epic proportions that it's not just isolated to here. It's a problem everywhere. Thank you! :D