It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Help Wanted :/
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Real quick back story. I was addicted to OC for the last three years and was taking 600mg daily when I sought help from a Sub doc. He put me on 16mg daily and after two dreadful days of bad bad WDS (rapid detox) I felt fine. My question is this; have the two weeks that I've taken Subs just prolonged the WDS from OC or are those in the rear view mirror? If I wean myself off of Subs now after only two weeks of use, will I be in for WDS from the original OC habit and the Subs or just the Subs? Hope this makes sense to someone out there. Is it possible to use Subs to get through the nast WDS of the OC and then rapid taper off of the Subs with minimal WDS? Anyone ever done this successfully?

-TMD

Post subject: Re: Help Wanted :/
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Regardless of your 2 weeks on suboxone, you will most likely feel some level of opiate withdrawals. You have not fully rid your body of opiates, as you are still taking a partial agonist. The difference is, it's easier to taper down on suboxone and get to a low enough dose, where the acute withdrawals should be minimal, to non existent (compared to oxy.) You still have to deal with the post acute withdrawals which are more mental. Your brain will need to start making it's own dopamine again. This process varies for each individual, depending on lifestyle, underlying mental health, length of addiction, etc.. Usually people feel sluggish, unmotivated, depressed and/ or anxious, during the time the brain is learning how to take over in the dopamine department, once again. There is no way to cheat this process, other than healthy living and giving it time.

The biggest problem, though, is that most people who use sub or methadone as short term detox tools, usually don't find out about the level of withdrawals, because they get right back to using shortly after. Not many can use a short term detox and have the "willpower"/strength/cajones (whatever you want to call it) to stick it out. Usually we need much more time to develop the tools to stay clean without a safety net.