It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,
My doctor terminated my treatment after 2 years claiming I breached my contract (which I didn't) without any explanation. Honestly I have not violated the terms of the contract or misused my prescriptions and had a good relationship with my doc. I live in a rural part of the country where there are very few sub docs. I have written him trying to defend myself and asking him to please explain what I have done wrong but have gotten no reply

My question is: do I have any recourse at all? And how will this affect me when looking for a new sub doc.

Thanks!

D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:54 pm 

Sorry to hear of this upset. That is total bull##@@ for him to release you w/o an explanation. At the very least you should be able to talk freely to him. But I guess not so you'll need to start calling again. And no, him letting you go will not affect your chances of finding a new doctor. Just tell the truth. That always works the best.

In the mean time, you can try to ask for Subutex generic or at the very least a Butrans Patch of 20 mcg's. That may hold off w/d's depending on how much you were taking.

Time to start the phone calls again.

rule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It won't help you but you can file a complaint with the State Medical Board for abandonment. Drs are required to serve notice via certified mail (at least in my state) that services are being terminated. We then are required to provide thirty days of emergency services and expedite any paperwork that can assist in transfer of care.
If your doctor is part of a system (not solo) you can ask for help from a patient advocate or group administrator.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I rarely discharge patients, because patient who struggle often get things together eventually. My only exception is patients who share or sell medication-- as that puts me at risk of losing my ability to treat other patients.

Sometimes I am notified by area law enforcement that a patient is under investigation. I may be given a 'head's up', but asked to avoid interfering with their investigation. Those are very difficult situations, and in those cases I have to weigh several things-- the information known by detectives, the number of times I've heard other reports about the patient, and whether the patient's conduct has been 'reasonable'.

For example, if several people know many private details about the patient's medication, such as the number of pills in each refill, the date the refills are obtained, how long the person has been on the medication, the name of the doctor the patient is seeing (i.e. my name), etc, then I have to wonder how and why so many people know that information. In one case, I cautioned a patient to keep that information private after hearing several reports that the patient was selling medication. But a couple months later the reports kept coming in--- along with details about the pateint's care that nobody should know.

If you truly were discharged 'for no reason', then you should contact the licensing board in the state where he/she practices. But if you have been selling or sharing medication, even a couple pills, realize that the doctor will have the right to defend him or herself, and your right to confidentiality will be secondary to those rights. I get so angry about people selling meds that sometimes I hope a patient will open that door, so that I can have an open discussion with law enforcement about my concerns.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:54 pm 

I would like to formally Thank You docm2 for all the support you give this forum of ours. Between Dr. Junig and your professional opinion we really have the bases covered with facts.

As a long term moderator here I believe I speak for all of us in saying thank you for taking the time to stop in and respond to our members questions and concerns. My own doctor never seems to find the time to log in. That's okay, you guys are just so busy with work that we are very fortunate to get some attention.

Rule62 & Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:54 pm 

I second that Rule :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:16 pm 

HERE HERE!
So very fortunate. .. Right on Rule :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks folks, I give each new patient a list of my favorite websites. This is #1, TalkZone #2, a site that shall remain nameless and the SMART Recovery homepage. The counselors have AA and NA covered. I really encourage people to come here so much to learn and support to be obtained.
Either I have been very lucky, or our law enforcement just not clever enough to catch one of my patients. What will get a person discharged from maintenance therapy with me is threatening or being VERY rude with the front desk staff, persistently 'losing' medications or persistently having unexpected results in screening UA's. Really, just don't jeopardize my practice and license.

Back to the OP: Do you have an immediate plan? How many mgs of Suboxone do you have? How long can you make them last? Are you calling, calling, calling? Try pharmacists as well. They may know docs that have their waiver but do not have their practice listed on any of the websites. Unfortunately many of the physician finder sites are woefully inaccurate. 2 of them still list a doctor in my community: but he left the state 5 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your comments! No I did not breach my contract in any way and have been honest with my Dr. at all times. He has never said anything but positive things in regards to my treatment. This all came as a shock as I had just had a great visit with him and thought I was finally making progress on some other non addiction related issues and don't understand why he would do this as I have had such success. I've never even had anything close to a warning.

I still have had no response to my request for an explanation. The only thing I can guess at is that my insurance company had become very demanding on monthly prior authorizations and limits on other meds that made more work for him. He had once said he avoided certain meds as they made too much work for him so I'm wondering if that is the case. I also found out today that he has had issues with the DEA and even was interviewed by 60 mins. once for questionable practices. Go figure. I guess the state board is my only recourse as he's a private practitioner.

I really appreciate the help!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doc wrote me a 30 day supply just last week have yet to pick up so I should be ok. However he failed again to submit my prior authorization so I have to pay out of pocket. I'm on 6mg per day down from 12 when I started. Thank you I will call pharmacies and other resources tomorrow. Trying to remain calm but really don't need this right now as I could not afford to get sick. Just focusing on today. I'm just in shock at how one day all is great then not so much. Uugghh...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi Fumanchu.

I hope this situation gets sorted out. Your scenario is one of my worst fears. Because of this fear, I do take a tad less than I am prescribed . Not to sell of course but to stockpile my meds. I just want some sort of cushion in case this every happens to me. Just a helpful hint for next time.

At least you have a 30 days supply called in that hopefully you can stretch it longer while you look for another doctor.

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:34 pm 

Thank you raudy1975 for saying exactly what I was going to type. I too am on 6 mg's and once when we were going on vacation and I was a little short of supply, I managed to only take 4 mg's for about a week or so until I had enough to cover me until my next appt.

This now has me thinking it would be very smart to stockpile some just in case something bad happens. One never knows what lies ahead and should make sure you're covered. Think of Katrina, the recent flooding in LA, etc. My first thought when Katrina hit was all the people dependant on certain medications, not just opiates, but also anti-depressants & benzo's. I bet the pharmacies got looted immediatly by people trying to get their meds.

Some food for thought.....

r

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:00 am 

Good morning, First, Yes,I agree with Doc, Rule,and Jenn...Thank you! I also just want to add that I try to always have a stock pile for an "emergency!" It has been easy as I was tapering down so I had a good sized pile! Now, I am at 4 mgs but my doc is still writing the script for 6 mgs. So, it is still easy for me to do. I still do have days where I will take 6 mgs and that is why I have just left it the way it is. Have a wonderful day!