It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I took Suboxone every night for about a week and a half at doses ranging from 4 mg to 8 mg. I didn't like the way I felt so I decided to stop. After a few days I started to feel absolutely horrible. No appetite and insomnia were my worst symptoms. I also had absolutely no strength and couldn't out of bed. I decided to take another 8 mg strip last night and I felt fine. All the taper plans I'm reading take place over the course of months and I'm not sure if that's necessary for me. Any help is really appreciated :) I don't want to be addicted to these!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Even when you taper off slowly, you are going to have to accept some uncomfortable withdrwal symptoms (ie your insomnia, no appetite, no energy). Take this from a person who has taperered to a very small amount and quit, but has also jumped from 16 mgs a day!

My question to you is why were you on the subs for a week and a half? And why do you want to stop?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on it to kick Oxy. But then I read some horror stories about Sub being harder to get off than Oxy so I just don't want to dig myself into a hole.

However I'm afraid I may have already dug myself into a hole :(

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Not I personally am familiar with being on sub short term to go through detox. I know one guy who went to a detox center for about a week where they gave him subs to get off dope, and he came out and stayed clen.

I myself was on subs for years as a maintenance treatment. And during that time I got myself on track and found myself very far away from my old ways. So deciding to come off it I'm not too worried about a relapse. How about you? If you were doing oxys a week and a half ago, have been taking subs to stop, quit the subs now, how likely are you to return to the oxys?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

qom wrote:
Not I personally am familiar with being on sub short term to go through detox. I know one guy who went to a detox center for about a week where they gave him subs to get off dope, and he came out and stayed clen.

I myself was on subs for years as a maintenance treatment. And during that time I got myself on track and found myself very far away from my old ways. So deciding to come off it I'm not too worried about a relapse. How about you? If you were doing oxys a week and a half ago, have been taking subs to stop, quit the subs now, how likely are you to return to the oxys?

When I went a few days without the Suboxone I wasn't craving any opiates at all. I'm not sure if that is permanent but I really want to stay clean. I just need to get through this withdrawal phase because I cannot handle not sleeping for days. I was delirious!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The current short term detox we are using is:
4/1 twice a day for 6 days;
2/.5 twice a day for 6 days;
2/.5 a day for 6 days.
Supplement with catapres, gabapentin, Zofran, Imodium, trazadone, benadryl, vistaril as needed for comfort. Not all of these but often 2-4 in some combination.
we don't use benzo's.
Some transition to Vivitral, others request maintenance after a few days off all meds and some choose to continue in treatment off all meds. Unfortunately some choose to leave and most relapse very quickly. (One in the parking lot as they drove away)
It is not easy, quick or pain free. But in an environment with 6+ hours a day of programming it is possible.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

docm2 wrote:
The current short term detox we are using is:
4/1 twice a day for 6 days;
2/.5 twice a day for 6 days;
2/.5 a day for 6 days.
Supplement with catapres, gabapentin, Zofran, Imodium, trazadone, benadryl, vistaril as needed for comfort. Not all of these but often 2-4 in some combination.
we don't use benzo's.
Some transition to Vivitral, others request maintenance after a few days off all meds and some choose to continue in treatment off all meds. Unfortunately some choose to leave and most relapse very quickly. (One in the parking lot as they drove away)
It is not easy, quick or pain free. But in an environment with 6+ hours a day of programming it is possible.

Thanks! Sorry but what does 4/1 and 2/ .5 etc mean?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks! Sorry but what does 4/1 and 2/ .5 etc mean?

I apologize, brevity can lead to confusion.
First number is the Buprenorphine and the second the naloxone.
There are 4 different strength films; 12/3, 8/2, 4/1, and 2/.5. Some people can cut a film to get the dosages I described. The important number is the first one, the buprenorphine dosage.
You could use the taper I described with the 8's, 4/s or 2's.

You also mentioned sleep difficulties, Trazadone, remeron, even Benadryl, can be helpful. I know some posters have used Ambien and similar sleepers but we avoid them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:40 pm 

Let's not forget that you were coming off of Oxy's too, not just the Suboxone. And no, you have wrong information regarding coming off Sub vs Oxy. Full agonist opiates will have the most severe withdrawal symptoms. Suboxone is a partial agonist so your symptoms won't be as bad but do tend to last longer. And that is dependent on the individual. We all have different systems when it comes to w/d's. Mine were never all that bad coming off of Hydrocodone.

The closest I got to getting off of Suboxone was after having surgery and being put on Lortab 10/500's. One every 4 hours kept the w/d's away. But I was only at 1 mg before the surgery.

Hang in there. We have several members here who have done it and will help you along the path.

rule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey LCD
They are all right. Every post i read here makes sense. I just jumped from 16mgs sub CT (cold turkey) it has been toture. Today is Day 16..I'm. Feeling alot better. That said. Subs are alot less physical wds from my own experience. But for me alot of RLS and super anxiety. But i had anxiety b4 the subs too. So it's all individual. If u arent craving opies, and don't fear a relapse back to them. Then coming off Subs should be ok for you. But you are still feeling the effects the oxy had on you. Not the subs at this point. Subs may take the wds away. But to come off either the subs or the oxy completly you will have to find the will to stomach the wds. As they are an unavoidable consequence of our abusing and using opiates. And our brains must heal in the end. There are alot of taper plans and ways to ease wds. I hope this helps. If you fear relapsing, you might as well stay on subs and get a support system and your life together 1st. Just my opinion. I wish you luck and the very best in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey LCD
And yes the energy loss is a real killer. I still suffer from that. .ALOT. But its getting easier. I have also went through the wds of oxy/ then Roxanol i.e.(liquid morphine), then Fentanyl. Fent was the worst for me. Oxys were early on for me. But weren't any where near the others. (I was younger then too...lol) could make the difference. But i couldn't stay clean for longer than a few months maybe 5 tops. Relapse happens when you're not looking. (Seriously) Subs can be a life saver for some people. (People like i was/am). Good luck. Be well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all your input guys! I'm going to try to do a quick taper with the Subs I have left. I have about six 8mg strips.