It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:10 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi friends!! So I have been on the sub program for 7 weeks now. Started with suboxone and two weeks ago switched to generic brand subutex. I would say in those 7 weeks I have only felt stabilized about 25% of the time. Cant seem to find the right doseage . My doctor and I thought we found it at 8mg in morn and 4mg at night.

I switched to the generic for financial reasons but I have had the worse problems this whole last week.

I keep feeling that it is weaker because the past week I have woke up feeling very weird. Almost like Im in withdrawls. My ankles feel cold,but I am just in the weirdest fog. I feel like Im walking around like a zombie when I first wake. Except for yesterday and today, when I would take my doseage I would feel fine.

Here is where I need some OPINIONS PLEASE.

So yesterday I woke up with that same zombie feeling..also feeling a little depressed. I take my doseage and then I really feel weird most of the day..I feel like Im on speed or ten pots of coffee. Almost high, but not a good high. Very speedy and uncomfortable. So anyway about 7pm last night I start feeling much better..nice and relaxed. I just couldnt figure out why I felt like that. Then I thought...is it possible that I have been taking to much? So I decided not to take my evening dose of 4mg since I was worried I would get that speedy feeling again and not be able to sleep. So I slept great and woke up not feeling like a zombie, but did feel like I needed my dose. So Im thinking that I should only try 4mg instead of 8 so I do and twenty minutes later I start feeling speedy again...like Im high on caffeine. Clamy cold feet.

Is it possible that my body is getting too much bupe? what are the side effects from too much. I am by no means sleepy or lethargic. I mean I can fall asleep feeling like this but I will have weird dreams. From my knees down I feel warm;hot. I dont feel depressed. Im just confused as hell becaue last Sat and Sun when I woke up feeling like a zombie I took my sub and felt fine..Now I take it and feel I have coffee running through my veins.

So is it possible that Im getting too much?

Anybody know if these are side effects of too much?

thanks everyone!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey tj,

Usually when someone is on too much suboxone, one of the main side effects of it is extreme lethargy and somnolence. Plus you'd have more of the usual side effects like excessive sweating and even worse constipation.

Is there anything else in your life that's changed? Any other new meds? Also, you said you've been on sub only 7 weeks, right? In the grand scheme of things, that's really not very long. Think of it this way, you're still adjusting to living life without numbing your feelings. You now have to deal with all of your emotions, even the ones you never wanted to feel and those you used drugs to drown out. Perhaps what you are feeling is anxiety? I believe I've heard some people say they've had some anxiety on suboxone. (I honestly don't know for sure or not if that could be related to your dose or not.) If it is anxiety, then I'm thinking that you getting upset about it when you dose is just making it worse.

If indeed it is anxiety and it's related to the suboxone, then I would venture to guess that yes, dropping your dose might actually help. But these are only one person's thoughts and I'm no doctor.

Have you ever tried meditation? It's a great way to learn to deal with anxiety without popping a pill every time the normal ups and downs of life hit us. I used to take a shitload of xanax which I stopped when I started suboxone. I was so afraid of my anxiety without that benzo. My therapist guided me into meditation, which at first I thought was a bunch of hooey. It turned out it worked really well and I have next to no anxiety at all in my life.

Sorry for going off on that tangent....Those are my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure others with different perspectives will come along and weigh in as well. Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:51 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hey hat
thanks for the reply..I definitelyhave more anxiety because it seems like I live dose to dose....its all I think about because I cant seem to feel right more than 25% of the time.. I know I will get there, but its taking forever..I just want to go about my day and not think about my dose, but Im not there yet.
I do understand what you are saying, but when you wake up and you feel like a zombie that is not normal..It feels like Im in a diff world.. There is something going on inside my body. Now dont get me wrong...this has only happend the past 5 days, I definitely know anxiety and this isnt anxiety that Im feeling..its just down right weird.

I also am on xanax which I was on before subs...I am in the process of tapering off.. I know its not good to do together (before everybody gives me a hard time about it :) As you know you cant quit ct on xanax or you will have issues. You would think though the xanax would help...Scared to think how I would feel each day right now if I didnt have it.

I am interested in hearing more about meditation for sure.

I am going to try and lower my dose and see if that is the cause of my issues.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You mentioned that you are in the process of tapering off the xanax. Is your doctor helping you do that? It's possible that the xanax taper has something to do with how you're feeling. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say I'm out of ideas.

If you are interested in meditation, there's a sticky post in the Chronic Pain section. It's entitled something like "Meditation/Guided Imagery/Self-hypnosis". It's a pretty long, detailed explanation of how to start, based on what I've learned over the years from my own therapist. (Just keep in mind I'm explaining it as a lay person and am not in any way a hypnotherapist.) It might help you.

I'm sorry I don't have any better ideas for you. I'm sure some others will come along and share their thoughts though. Be well.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have definitely heard people report feeling wakeful or energized or "speedy" after dosing, and I experienced it myself to some extent. The effect seems to lessen over time as your body adjusts to the medication and more of the bupe builds up in your system. It doesn't really sound like you're on too high of a dose if you're sleeping OK and feel like you need to dose in the morning.
I would guess that tapering off of Xanax is contributing to it. Taper very, very slowly - some say reduce 10% every 3 or 4 weeks. If you need a benzodiazepine because of your anxiety, it might be safe to stay on a low dose under a Dr.'s supervision. Many people recommend a longer acting one like klonipin.
Another factor is that the generic probably has a different absorption rate than the Suboxone, so you probably went through an adjustment there, too.
Hope you start to feel better soon. I don't feel like I was fully adjusted to the med until the 2nd month, so this isn't unusual. Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:57 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Positivetj
As I stated in the pm I sent you, (and this is only how I'VE felt), the generic Subutex from Roxa labs does give me a little energy boost sometimes. Not any sordof high, more like I drank coffee. This dosen't always happen though. My doctor has me dosing twice a day (actually on the bottle it sais take 1/2-1 tab 3 to 4xday). I never dose that often. And, sometimes I'll even take a whole 8mg tab in the morning and just skip my evening dose. Anyways, what Im getting at is....I find when I've skipped that evening dose, and don't dose again until the next day, is when I tend to get that little burst of energy. Which probably means not all of my receptors were being occupied and "I felt" my dose a little. If I take it EXACTLY as directed, I don't feel anything (probably because when taken throughout the day@12mg, theres a higher and steady level of medication in my blood)
So, I agree with Hatmaker. You haven't been on the Sub for that long. It wouldn't surprise me if you just haven't stabilized yet (meaning your not on the right dose yet or that your body hasn't adjusted to your dose). I know you stated that you are prescribed the Xanax, but this concernes me. Dosen't seem like a good combination....and especially if you're tapering off it right now too. No wonder you feel weird. How long have you been on Benzos? Also, and please don't get upset....I don't think its such a great idea to drink. I know you were asking about drinking in another post. IMO, even if alcohol isn't your DOC, its still a mood altering substance, and MOST OF US know how easy it is to switch addictions. Finally, my Sub Doc did tell me that he belives Subutex is stronger than Suboxone. I don't have any proof of this tho. Ask Ur Doc. If this IS true, maybe a reduction would make you feel better. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:20 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Marie,,,Im not upset about you saying something about a drink but I do disagree with you. I have a drink about once every six months like a bloody mary. I think people got the wrong idea in that post. I was just making sure ONE drink wouldnt hurt me or even a couple of beers. Im to vain to drink and worry about getting fat :) Like I said I very rarely drink.\

the reason Im on xanax is because I am being tapered off of it. Before I started suboxone with my doctor I had taken xanax for exactly 45 days.. a 2mg pill every night before I went to bed...
So when I went to start suboxone I informed my doctor that I had been on xanax for the past 45 days and didnt want to take it anymore and he didnt as well. So we started my taper 7weeks ago...very,,very slow. The drops are very slow. He switched me to XR etended release. Anyway, I have been on 1mg xanax for the 3 weeks and he will change it next time I see him so I have been on a steady dose with that so I dont feel like it has anything to do with my subs. I have been on subs for 7 weeks now and have yet to stabilize. Between that and switching to generic subutex I still cant figure it out.