It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Help Me!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

:x "I'm Mad as Hell and I'm Not Going to Take it Any More!" I'm mad because I am living in the USA in 2013, I'm disabled, on a fixed SS income and I am supposed to be covered for all my medication. But there's something fishy going on in our USA. The Doctors are involved in a huge clandestine operation. It's all about money and it's hurting many good folks and I'm fed up.

My Doctor gets 100 dollars every time I have an appointment for a new script of my 16 mg of Suboxone. I'm just about destitute, I've lost my apartment with my girl (she lost her job) and moved in with mom. If it were not for my 76 year old mother we would be in even bigger trouble. I get 1140 dollars a month and it's not enough to live on, even with no rent. Car and insurance payment, phone, food and other monthly expenses have made it impossible for me to come up with the monthly 100 dollars.

Fortunately for me my Doctor has extended me credit for the last 6 months. I now owe him 600 dollars and he's not happy (I've managed to pay him for the last 3 years) . I have another appointment this week and feel I have to come up with at least the payment for this month in order to get my script.

I have 100% prescription coverage through my Medicare and this is supposed to take care of my prescriptions right? I don't think so. I don't know if there are any alternatives, but tonight I decided to Google for a place to find out if there is, and ended up here.

Does anyone know of alternatives for me? I can't afford a dime so it needs to be 100% free. I'm deathly afraid of the withdrawal process and hope this is a way to find a solution to this dilemma.

Please help me. - Jeff

Post subject: Re: Help Me!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, and I know it has to really suck being in your position. I do have one idea for you that may save you some money in the end, but first wanted to say you actually have a doctor that seems to be a really caring one. Not only does he allow you to to keep a running balance and have a 6-month bill owing right now, his $100 monthly fee is well below what many of these other sub doctors charge.

You can read stories right here where members pay $300 and more per month to get their scripts. I have even heard of a couple people paying $300 every two weeks! :shock: Those doctors are only after the hard-earned money of the patient it seems. I would consider yourself very lucky to only have to pay that $100 each month although I do realize it's a heavy debt on you right now Jeff.

My idea is for you to maybe reduce your sub dose and that can save you a little money each month. The 16mg you take is quite a bit and if you could perhaps lower that to 8-12mg then you could save some money on the scripts themselves. And I bet you could get by fine with a little lower dose of subs.

I was on 24mg in the beginning, but found I could lower my own dose and I was just as good on a lower dose as I was on the higher one. Just a thought for you to consider.

I have also read on here that some are able to obtain "coupons" for a little bit of money off the sub prescription. Maybe someone that knows more about that will chime in here. I feel really bad for you Jeff and hope you can figure something out soon for your situation. Thank God for mom huh? All the best to you and please keep us informed how or what you are able to figure out.

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 pm 

Welcome Jeff to the forum. Have you applied for the patient assistance program through your doctor? I think that most all Suboxone doctors are allowed up to three patients on this program per year. You have to re-apply every year. More information can be found at the NAABT.ORG site.

Is there any job at all you can do? Earning an extra hundred bucks per month shouldn't be all that hard. Can you drive? There has to be something you can do that pays money. I agree. It's impossible to live on what you're living on.

Good luck to you.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I tell ya one thing, and I am not trying to be an ass about it but I have gotten by with alot less than 1140 a month. First thing you need to do is look for any government assistance possible whether that is SNAP or food stamps, heating assistance, Section 8 anything that knocks some of your monthly bills down. Also, if you have a house phone call the company and see if they offer Lifeline. Lifeline is a service that makes your phone bill cheaper if you are getting any type of Medicaid/Medicare or Food Stamps things like that. You are disabled so if they offer Lifeline you can get it. Something else, coupons are your best friend. I know how to make it on less than nothing, because I have done it. My husband was drawing 344 unemployment a month, and I somehow paid most of our bills. We sold alot of crap on Ebay, yes we received help from my mother but Ebay was a BIG helping hand in keeping us afloat. I basically sold whatever wasnt nailed to the floor. I found a software package in the back room that I had got when I was taking online classes that was worth 400 bucks, I split the money with Mom for the help she had been giving us. I sold our home theater speakers for 100 bucks, my Guitar Hero guitar (seafoam green, so pretty it was a Fender) for 65 bucks. I sold every stinking DVD that we had, yes you can do that Hastings will buy em back. Amazon does too.
My doctors visit at that time was 280 a month, thank heavens I was on free medication at the time. If I hadnt been on the free meds program, I would have been in serious trouble. There are ways to stretch that money, if you need assistance doing so let me know if I can give any help. I can pinch pennies so tight, I can shoot boogers out of Ole' Abe's nose. You learn to stay at home ALOT. I dont mind it anymore, we actually love staying at home and watching TV. We have never been "outside" people, dont really care about going out on the town.
There are so many things you can do to save money. We have found that groceries are the hardest thing to get by with every paycheck. We had foodstamps when he was on unemployment and we drawed a HEFTY amount and even then it didnt get us from month to month. It did help and we were thankful for it. He tried to find work, but there was NOTHING out there at the time. I am thankful that he has the job that he does now.
You WILL get by, it may look bleak right now but you will get through it. If I can give any advice or help let me know. I would love to have the price that you pay for a doctor but where my doctor lets me come when my meds run out instead of every month, that helps ALOT.
He wrote me for three months last time, well it was for three a day but I only take 1 a day so I can stretch that 3 months. He charges 320 a month, but I pay half and get half a script when I see him, but I seen a different doctor the last time so he wrote me for a full script. I got lucky that time, oh so lucky and I am grateful for it.
I hope that I didnt come off bitchy or mean. I just know the ways to pinch pennies and stretch whatever income you have because I have done it and lived on nearly nothing for a long time. It wasnt that we wanted to live like that, we tried our best to find work or do anything to make life easier but the area that we live in, the job market is just terrible.
Good Luck with everything, you will get through it. Just keep it together.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for your great suggestions. As far as me making money goes I am currently putting together my business plan for a real hot selling product which I use. It's Vaping units and supplies (electronic cigarettes). It will be a website. I have a supplier for the goods and a good friend that is going to build my website on spec. I'm an expert on the Internet as well. I've was in a successful business as a television producer for 26 years until 2005, when I became disabled so I have plenty of business experience.

As far as selling my stuff goes I've sold just about everything, I still have a couple of items on Craigslist if you want to purchase them, LOL. I'm out of stuff to sell. I've sold a lawn mower, a piano, my surround sound system, my 2 electric guitars and a plethora of other stuff.

My 1140 per month is too much to qualify for food stamps. I've cut out my house phone and only use a cell. I grocery shop in 3 different stores comparing prices and use coupons. For me 1140 is nothing, but at least it's there monthly. I am used to 200K a year after taxes (not to brag at all, please). I was hoping there was some way to eliminate the Drs payment of 100 per visit but it does not seem so. I am so bent over this clandestine operation that even if I was wealthy, I would want this practise of suboxone gouging stopped.

Again, thanks for the advice. - Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI Jeff

I got the impression you were looking at how to cut the doctor fee because the script is covered? There are a few doctors in my area that take insurance. These doctors are internal medicine doctors not psychiatrist or just sub doctors. With Medicare as your primary insurance you may be able to find someone by looking on line under doctors that accept insurance for suboxone treatment. I found 2 doctors in my area, one doctor I can't tolerate (i know her via my job) & the other didn't have an opening but i am on the waiting list. I also pay out of pocket & it sucks. My RX is covered in full because of insurance & the coupon i got on line. Some pain mgmt doctors also take insurance.

Hope this helps a bit.