It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: HELP ME :(
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have posted here before about my side effects and how they scare me. I started to come to terms with the fact that Suboxone just gives me anxiety and that the muscle fascinations are normal... but now I am scared and let me tell you why.

It started out by me starting to get massive anxiety attacks at work over stupid things like health anxiety. Then, my finger started twitching and this of course made me lose my mind as I thought I had some crazy disease. I went to a neuro and she said I am fine since I have no other symptoms like muscle weakness. I thought I had something called BFS which is benign twitching. I actually accepted the fact that I am fine... but here is where it gets tricky!!

MY TWITCHING IS GETTING WORSE, every single day. It has not gotten better, it is getting worse. It is not like it impairs my movement or anything, but now I twitch pretty much all over. My mouth, my legs, you name it. Often, I get these heavy twitches in my thighs. I also get them in my hands and I get these jerks throughout my body. The jerks started when I was falling asleep, like a hypnotic jerk. Those actually stopped, but now the regular jerks (when I am just sitting still), are more frequent.

I started to research about the twitches and suboxone and came across Suboxone side effects! I have pretty much all of the not-frequent ones (less than 30% of patients). But one thing is scaring me. One of the non-lifethreatening side effects is Muscle Spasms and Twitching but then one of the life threatening ones are severe muscle spasms and twitching. HOW DO I KNOW what classifies as SEVERE???

I was getting Suboxone illegally as I do not have a doctor to ask about this at the moment, but I start real treatment on Monday morning (I scheduled an appointment after doing a ton of research to make sure I got into a good program, not a money hungry one).

Post subject: Twitching
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:54 pm 

JayDub,

There aren't many responses because no one really knows what to say. This particular side effect has not come up for discussion before so we don't have any answers for you. Going to see your doctor is about the best thing you can do. The Suboxone is either causing it or not. Maybe your anxiety is playing a large part and that will need to be addressed.

We are all guinea pigs when it comes to taking any drug. What works for one may not work for another. When you do finally pinpoint the cause of your twitching, please post it so we all know whether it was the Suboxone or not.

All I can do is wish you well and hope you find out and fix this problem. It sure doesn't sound like much fun.

Hang in there,

Rule

Post subject: Re: Twitching
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

rule62 wrote:
JayDub,

There aren't many responses because no one really knows what to say. This particular side effect has not come up for discussion before so we don't have any answers for you. Going to see your doctor is about the best thing you can do. The Suboxone is either causing it or not. Maybe your anxiety is playing a large part and that will need to be addressed.

We are all guinea pigs when it comes to taking any drug. What works for one may not work for another. When you do finally pinpoint the cause of your twitching, please post it so we all know whether it was the Suboxone or not.

All I can do is wish you well and hope you find out and fix this problem. It sure doesn't sound like much fun.

Hang in there,

Rule

Thank you for your reply even though you weren't sure what to say.

Today, I thought the twitching was better, but it actually isn't. It has come back and it actually hurts a bit. Like a sharp little needle spiking different areas. Also, my ears seem to ring.

I don't mean to just come on here and yell HELP ME like an idiot because I am having a panic attack, or come across as self absorbed. I always feel like I am being selfish when I cry out for help because the health anxiety has me always feeling like I am so focused as to what is happening to me and not others. But I just want my normal life back.

Suboxone has been a blessing as it saved me so much time and money while also allowing me to cut down and not feel high all day. I am down to .75 twice a day of suboxone which is amazing in my opinion and I am not too far from being totally clean.

But it is hard to start focusing on getting better when there is this new problem that arose. I get wet feelings on spots of my skin, sharp muscle fasciculations constantly at rest (only) and high anxiety.

It is just that the side effects section of Suboxone is so ambiguous. It says muscle twitches is a side effect, but then says severe muscle twitches is life threatening. They really should clear that up or disclaim what would be considered severe. I do not want to wake up one day and I cannot feel a certain part of my body because I didn't address this thinking it was a normal side effect, if that makes sense.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey JayDub,

I just wanted to comment on this and let you know you are not alone with the muscle twitching. Rule said earlier that nobody knows a whole lot about this issue because it is not commonly discussed...which is true. However it has been brought up before, by me. I posted about this same side effect in a post titled "muscle spasms and soreness under tongue" (or something like that???) about two weeks ago, not long after I started suboxone. How long have you been taking it? The reason I ask is because mine has almost gone away. I still have occasional twitches but nothing like I was. I believe mine was because of higher than necessary dosing. My doctor started me with 1 8mg strip once per day. In the first weeks of my treatment I was still having MASSIVE cravings. So I tried taking extra sub to combat my cravings. That is when I started noticing increased anxiety, a general edgy feeling all day, and terrible muscle twitching. Mine was worst in my legs, arms and hands. But I would feel it also in my abdomen, face and pretty much everywhere else at certain times and it seemed to last all day and night. I was also having swings in my energy levels ranging from an energy high I would compare to a caffeine buzz to practically falling asleep when I would sit still. I never experienced any kind of high from my dose so I don't know if this would be considered nodding but that's almost what it felt like. This was when I was taking doses from 10-16 mg. I found that sticking to the 8mg dose has helped me tremendously! I have been on subs for just shy of a month now and I finally feel normal. I guess you just have to find that right dose for you and STICK TO IT. So I guess my advice to you would be to try and lower your dose a little bit and see if that helps. It may take a few days to notice any difference because of the long half life but it would really be worth a try if your side effects are bothering you as much as it seems like they are.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This has actually been discussed quite a bit on this forum. Some has described it as zings.........I had this problem very early in my sub treatment 3 yrs ago. Especially before falling asleep- thighes, calves, shoulder and hand. Sometimes when really relaxed and just sitting in front of the TV.......the same thing. You said you have been getting it illegally......what dose are you taking?

I started at 24mgs and I am now down to 6mgs. I noticed as I lowered my dose the less this occurred. I do believe this is just a side effect of sub as some have mentioned it and others have not. Now that I am at 6mgs............this happens but it is rare maybe once a week. Again just one of those side effects .....but it is tolerable...Good Luck with your treatment and glad you are now going through a doctor.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:22 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I too noticed the random muscle twitching. Espiecally if I smoke weed on top of it. However, I think but cannot recall for sure that weed has always had this effect on me.

Post subject: Zings
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:54 pm 

It's good to be wrong once in awhile. I do remember the zings discussion and night time RLS. Hope you find some answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You should def. speak to a doctor about it, it could very well be a side effect of the Sub but it also could be something that the pain pills were masking and when you got on Sub the problem surfaced. Good Luck and please let us know what you find out.

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*

Post subject: Re: Zings
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

rule62 wrote:
It's good to be wrong once in awhile. I do remember the zings discussion and night time RLS. Hope you find some answers.

Rule, if this is your only instance of being wrong today you are doing great! I'm wrong ALL the time...just ask my 10 year old son. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

qhorsegal wrote:
Hey JayDub,

I just wanted to comment on this and let you know you are not alone with the muscle twitching. Rule said earlier that nobody knows a whole lot about this issue because it is not commonly discussed...which is true. However it has been brought up before, by me. I posted about this same side effect in a post titled "muscle spasms and soreness under tongue" (or something like that???) about two weeks ago, not long after I started suboxone. How long have you been taking it? The reason I ask is because mine has almost gone away. I still have occasional twitches but nothing like I was. I believe mine was because of higher than necessary dosing. My doctor started me with 1 8mg strip once per day. In the first weeks of my treatment I was still having MASSIVE cravings. So I tried taking extra sub to combat my cravings. That is when I started noticing increased anxiety, a general edgy feeling all day, and terrible muscle twitching. Mine was worst in my legs, arms and hands. But I would feel it also in my abdomen, face and pretty much everywhere else at certain times and it seemed to last all day and night. I was also having swings in my energy levels ranging from an energy high I would compare to a caffeine buzz to practically falling asleep when I would sit still. I never experienced any kind of high from my dose so I don't know if this would be considered nodding but that's almost what it felt like. This was when I was taking doses from 10-16 mg. I found that sticking to the 8mg dose has helped me tremendously! I have been on subs for just shy of a month now and I finally feel normal. I guess you just have to find that right dose for you and STICK TO IT. So I guess my advice to you would be to try and lower your dose a little bit and see if that helps. It may take a few days to notice any difference because of the long half life but it would really be worth a try if your side effects are bothering you as much as it seems like they are.

Good luck!

Besides the sore tongue, this is almost EXACTLY what I am going through. All the way down to the energy swings. It is really scaring me and to be honest, I am on such a low dose already (.75 twice a day) and it definitely seems to happen more when I take any more. But when I reduce my dosage any more I get cravings and I don't want to relapse.

Nevertheless, I also get these cold/wet feelings randomly on my skin. I have no clinical weakness or anything that makes a Neuro think I have anything serious, but it is DRIVING ME CRAZY. This morning I had to get up an hour earlier because I was having fascilations all over. It used to not be as bad in the morning, but it definitely seems to be getting worse and I am just hoping the medication isn't doing something bad to my brain since it is not getting better. I almost have a CONSTANT twitch on the bottom of my foot. You can see it and it constantly feels like worms are crawling in the middle of the bottom of my left foot. It is like torture.

I also get these jerks now... more than ever. I will just be laying down in the morning and my thumb or my shoulder will slightly jerk (move). Not a fascilation, it is like someone is pushing me lightly. Not the type that makes u jump up when falling asleep, these jerks actually wake me up. The PHYSICAL act of me jerking wakes me, it is not a hypnic jerk as I know the difference.

One time I got some scary sensations when I was tired. I was getting hypnic jerks while AWAKE. Like, I would just sit there reading and relaxing then I would jump like I got startled. Like someone scared me.

I am just really nervous and I don't have a good Suboxone doctor to talk to. No Neurologist knows about Suboxone and I don't know where to go for help. Severe muscle twitching is considered a severe side effect and I hope it is not negatively effecting something permanently.

I need help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You also mentioned cold/wet skin....are you also having hot sweats? The sweating is definitely a side effect of sub. Then you mentioned "fascilations"....I think you misspelled that because I'm not sure what you mean and that's not in the dictionary. Could you clarify?

You're on an extremely low dose yet you're still having some pretty bad side effects. That's definitely a conundrum. Are you planning on tapering off or staying on this as a maintenance dose? I do recall many posts about the twitching, most often at night if I remember correctly. I don't have the time to reread all the responses above, but how long have you been on sub? If it hasn't been very long, it could still subside, as it did for many of the other posters. I know for many it subsided when they dropped their dose, but I also seem to recall that for some it went away on their own - but I could be wrong about that.

I'm sorry you're going through all this and I hope it does subside on it's own. Keep us posted as to how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey JayDub,

I was getting those same jerks during the day too. Mine has continued to improve but I still have some residual muscle twitching at times. If you don't have a good doctor to talk to maybe you can try to call the phone number listed in the paperwork in your suboxone box. I called them and talked to a nurse who told me not to worry to much, but I was taking from 8 to 16mgs at a time when I was getting the worst symptoms. You getting them at less than 1mg is very interesting. Maybe you are just extremely sensitive to the drug? One of the reasons I worried so much about it at first is that I read somewhere that this side effect might be dangerous for people who had a history of seizures, I had one induced by a tramadol overdose last year so it concerned me a bit until I spoke to that nurse. She said it was not a common side effect but not something that concerned her overmuch. She did recommend I talk to my doctor about it but I haven't done that for fear he would lower my dose too much....I'm doing well now on 8mg per day.

I think the number I called was 1-800-782-6966 if that isn't for Reckitt Bensicker post back and I will try to find that card I had for here 2 help...that may be what I dialed. Also you can try reporting your side effects to the FDA. Their number is 1-800-FDA-1088. That number is also listed in the suboxone prescription papers.

I hope you find the answers your looking for. Please keep us updated on your situation. I am curious what you will find out.