It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Help!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi. I really do not know where 2 post this, but I started Suboxone about 3 weeks ago & I'm taking 2 many. More than prescribed. I am prescribed 8mg a day, but am taking about 10mg a day. Please help me understand why I am doing this or feel like I need 2 take more than what is prescribed 2 me. I guess it's my addict behavior. Idk. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Post subject: Re: Help!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:54 am 

You are exactly correct! It's your addict behavior that is leading you to take more than prescribed. It is not uncommon at all for new suboxone patients to see if they can get a high from using a little more. Or that the new suboxone patient reaches for more sub to fix everything, even when they feel nothing different.

My suggestion is that you split your dose in 2. Take 4 mg in the morning and 4 mg at night. Then you're fulfilling that (hopefully) temporary need to take more, without actually going over your prescribed amount. Although your ultimate goal should be to only take sub once a day, it might be smart to take it twice a day for now. Try that and see if it helps. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes---- it is likely 100% psychological. I agree with Amy's suggestion, and that is what I usually recommend to my patients. But there is another approach-- and that is to 'take on' that addictive part of yourself, directly, and extinguish it. You do that by refusing to take more than one dose per day-- and when you get urges to take more, just distract yourself, any way that you can. Take a walk, listen to a couple songs, do some homework, or wash the dishes.... anything to take your mind off. You will find that the cravings pass-- and if you do that for a few days, they will stop coming.

I'm always a little torn over the two approaches to psychological cravings. Buprenorphine is a LONG-LASTING med, and easily covers an entire day. Since on average, only 25-30% of a dose is absorbed, people who feel like they aren't getting enough can do some simple things to increase the amount of Suboxone that enters their bloodstream: http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/optimizing-absorption-of-buprenorphine/

But the risk is that a person will take the whole dose in the AM, and then give in to those cravings-- and then you run out of meds early, which can cause all sorts of trouble...

So instead I'll usually tell people to just take half of it, twice per day-- and use distraction if necessary. Just don't fall into the silly trap of taking it more and more often; I've seen people go to 3, then 4 times per day--- which is really silly. In some cases they end up taking a dose when their last dose hasn't even fully taken effect! So in no case should you divide it into more than 2 doses per day. And when things are stabilized, consider changing to once per day-- just to reduce the amount of 'involvement' you have with the medication.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank u so much 4 the responses guys. U have no I sea how much I appreciate the suggestions & the responses. I'm gonna hang around & let u guys know how I'm doing. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I also seem 2 obsess over my evening dose. Like it cannot get here fast enough!!! Idk why I do that either. I wish I could just forget about it :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I have gone all day & only taken 4mg of sub today. But now I'm really anxious & feel like I "need" 2 take another dose. Idk if I should or not

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:01 pm 

I wouldn't take under the amount that you are prescribed for right now. Are you asking whether or not you should take the second half of your dose right now or at all? The timing is up to you, but it wouldn't hurt to practice distracting yourself for a half hour to build up your ability to do that.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy. I appreciate the response. I meant if I should take it at all. But ur absolutely right, I should just take what I'm prescribed 4 now. Thank u again :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi there! I'm so so so new to this! I'm on day 2 gah! I just wanted to add that (even though it sounds silly) try a few breathing exercises when you feel the anxiety coming on that's telling you get more pills!! I was doing this yesterday: laying on the couch breathing slow in and out, and saying no that's the old addict talking, the NEW me doesn't need that extra dose, I'm just fine! Also the distraction was another good thing, try asking someone if they have any work issues that need sorted out lol sounds nutty but my hubs has about a billion he needs help figuring out. It was a 20 min discussion, calmed my anxiety and I felt a little good actually helping him, better then a pill high!! Good luck! Let me know if you need any support along the way, I'm just getting started with suboxone but I'd love to give support! :)