It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi - I came here in May when I first started sub...

I was on methadone for 12 years or so for chronic migraines....at one point I was prescribed 150mg a day. For the past 5 years I steadily reduced it. The past year the headaches went away for the most part and I wanted to see what life was like wo it. I was between jobs and thought that if I don't do it now I never will.

I started in the first week of May (I think) at 8mg. I had tried to start at a lower dose (I have roberts plan printer out all over the place here) but I couldn't get stable at anything lower than 4mg twice a day.

After stabilizing and a few bumps it hasn't been too bad tapering....except my anxiety over this. The first week after I stopped methadone, while waiting for cows 26 or whatever it is, killed me. It was by far the worst experience of my life. I'm a young healthy (other than headaches) 45 year old....I was big and strong when I started...but that first week before sub I felt like I was 90. So I've done this slowly in order to make it less painful.

So anyway I've gotten down to .25 twice a day. But I'm having problems. The pieces are so small that it's hard to cut them uniformly so some times I'm sure I end up with more or less than .25. I was going to stay on .25 X 2 and then slowly increase the time between doses until I was taking them 24 hours apart. However, I haven't been able to do this yet....in fact for the first time since I started I've had to take some extra.

I understand how taking extra, even if it's a tiny amount, multiplies. It takes days to fix the effects. But I'm not sure I'm ready to jump until I drop to .25 a day. But I don't know how to get there. I'm stuck. Maybe it's all psychological. Maybe it's because the pieces are so tiny...sometimes they get stuck in my teeth. All of a sudden I'm hot and yawning again all the time. I've read a lot of the stories here and some people have problems getting to real low doses.

Realistically I can cut the .25 in half but I don't know if I can ensure that they are all the same size (mine are films).

So should I just bite the bullet and jump at this level? Are should I drop to .25 and jump?

If I jump at .5 total,,which is where I am now, how,would it be different than if I jumped at .25? I'm so tired of this that I want it over with. But I don't want anything that will make this last longer. If dropping at .5 is a little tougher the first few days than .25 then I might do it. But if it also makes wd last another week,or month no way.

Btw my dr, who is nice but has no clue, said most patients of his jump at 2mg. He also wanted me to start at 16 a day. His recidivism rate must be horrendous. He claims a little clonidine takes the edge off and they are fine. I don't buy it. I've been on this stuff all summer and I'm at a tiny dose compared to the 2mg he has patients end at, and I'm not feeling perfect.

I have one last question. When i first started I was prescribed 8mg films. I bought enough that as I reduced I realized I had enough for months. However, my doctor has offered to prescribe lower dose films. Are 4mg or 2mg or 1mg films the same size as an 8mg film? Or are they smaller? Like I mentioned, these pieces are so tiny it's hard to cut them evenly. So I was wondering if all the films are the same size....if so it would be much easier for me to cut them.

Anyway I appreciate your help. One way or another I'm going to be off this stuff soon...just haven't decided when.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:52 pm 

Hi Mark, and welcome back to the forum. I take the 2 mg films and they are the same size as the 8's. The taste isn't as strong so that's a good thing. That is my recommendation for you. Take up the offer your doctor said and have him prescribe the lower amount. That way you can cut it down to micro pieces w/o any trouble.

One of our members quit at about .25 or .50 and didn't have that hard of time with it. She only took it when she was feeling in withdrawals. And then only enough to get rid of them. Eventually she got tired of it all and just stopped.

Some have a tough time and others do not. You won't know until you stop it.

So take your time. Get the new script and go from there.

Good Luck!

rule