It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:50 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have never really been a big drinker but is it okay to have a few beerswhile on suboxone? I have only been on subox fun for a month now but did not want to do anything to screw it up

Post subject: hey!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have read and heard from others that suboxone can help eliminate the urge to drink. I Havnt yet drank while taking subs but my husband has. He said that he felt fine but didn't have the urge to continue drinking after a cpl beers. I think that as long as alcohol isn't a problem for you and as long as you don't drink too often its fine.
Also, I know with my Dr I had to sign a contract saying I wouldn't drink alcohol. She said it was fine on occasion but the concern is that with our addictive personalities we might start drinking as a way to get high or escape our problems and end up with another addiction.
Congrats on starting suboxone by the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:23 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey lulubelle! Thanks for the reply. I was just concerned because I don't want to do anything to screw up since I'm now just getting used to my subs. I am going to a festival for Cinco. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt me to have one or two beers. Im not really into alcohol but do like to have a beer or the occasional bloody Mary. I haven't been in too many social gatherings in the past year because I was so into pain meds I of course withdrew from being very social....... Trying to get that part of my life back :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:27 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I'm the same way...not a big drinker but when I want the occasional cocktail I want to be able to enjoy it! Enjoy the festival!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:05 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I have to reply to this thread and you might not like it but that's ok. I say this with all due respect to those of you who disagree.

A drug is a drug is a drug. Alcohol, opiates, meth, methadone, Sub, pot, crack, cocaine, LSD.....etc. They are all drugs, all addictive, all change how you feel. That is why we use. To change how we feel. So to drink while on Sub is counter productive. Just because alcohol is not your drug of choice doesn't mean it won't hurt you eventually. Alcohol is not my drug of choice. But every time i drank alcohol it led me back to using. EVERY TIME. That was why I ended up in 3 treatments. All because of alcohol which led me to using again.

You can say that was just me and yes, that was my experience. But read about addiction. Educate yourself about your disease. You've gotten this far, now you are spending a lot of money on Sub but you're going backward by drinking in my opinion. Alcohol changes your brain, it can easily trigger you to use. Addicts and alcoholics cannot use any mind altering drugs. Some people have marijuana cards, some people are on benzo for anxiety or social anxiety or whatever...that is between their doctor and them. As long as the dr is informed and everyone is in agreement and someone else is running the show (the dr, not the patient).

I guess a good way to look at this is if you tell your Sub dr you are drinking alcohol what would he/she say? if you cannot tell your sub dr what you are doing on the side then obviously you shouldn't be doing it. My opinion.

This is a very common thought process especially for people new to recovery. That alcohol is not their drug of choice and a couple of beers won't hurt. It's a lie. I would advise any of my clients to consider seriously the effect that alcohol will have on their brains and to not drink.

It's your choice, obviously, but I'd be very careful. It's a part of the addict denial system...and its easy to lie to ourselves. believe me, I've lied to myself for years. And I'll say it again....every time I relapsed I ended up back on opiates....it just became easier and easier to rationalize, justify and minimize...that's because alcohol changes your brain...it lowers your ability to make good decisions and once back in active using, which alcohol is, it's a short jaunt to full blown relapse.

Please think about this, read about addiction and alcohol, and be careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:39 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have to respond to this also....

I was never a drinker myself. A beer here and there. When I was on sub I couldn't drink. I remember going out to eat crabs and had a beer. I was shit faced before I even started my second beer and had to switch to near beer. So... in my case the beer really double the affect of the sub as it would any other opiate. I went home and passed out.

I just want you to think before you act. Your taking sub since you abuse opiates and the plan is to "recover" from your addiction. Then you want to add a beer to the mix? If your not a "big" drinker then why take the chance and mess with your recovery?
I know the world is not black and white but somewhere in the middle. I have been shown in not uncertain terms that for this guy addiction or using is very black/white. I either am using or I am not. Alcohol is a drug that does lower inhabitation, change the way we think and feel. Will cover up feeling we need to work thru. I hear way too many say they stopped using dope only to replace it with alcohole. I can not help to think that if your asking here if you should have a beer or not then you already know the answer for yourself. I see you allowing mind games go on... your allowing the old addict self think for you. If it no biggy then dont do it.

I am so with Chinagirl here... if your sub doc says sure have a beer if you want it.. then I would question him but if your real honest with yourself I htink you know already.

I could very easily smoke a bird when I get into a rough spot for me. I actually had it confront me already. I left a meeting and sorta angry at a friends sponsor. This person is not being honest with her sponsoree.. on sub and not sharing that. When I got home without thought I nearly reached for a joint to "get over it". It hit me right in the face! What am I doing? Why do I need to smoke this away? What is it that I cant deal with? I didnt smoke that joint and glad for it. Just another opportunity to work thru something without the aid of a mind altering substance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree with Birdie and China. I am in recovery for alcoholism, but alcohol was not my first drug. Methamphetamine was. It's easy to switch. You start out just drinking a little, and you think to yourself that it's okay. Then, it becomes a little more. Then, you have to check yourself and maybe give it up for a bit. You try again and the same thing happens. Addiction is so dang insidious. If I were you, I'd just watch my own back very carefully and not even bother with the alcohol. I actually didn't have an opiate habit before Sub, but nonetheless, I'm an addict. Opiates are dangerous for me, just like alcohol is. Tread carefully, my friend.

laddertipper

Post subject: johnboy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i drank a lot for many years.ive been on subs 16 to 12 to 8 now,and drank for beers
a month ago,after the forth beer i just felt full! its like i drank 15 but with out the hangover.
and i also felt i needed more sboxone". thats a no-no-no for me!! i do go to AA+NA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I drank heavily while using, cut way back on sub, and now that I'm off sub only a couple of glasses of wine in the evening. My only concern is will two glasses of wine a day lengthen the PAWS that I am going through now. I have been off sub for 24-25 days (lost count, short term memory sucks).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:16 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

rockblaster wrote:
I drank heavily while using, cut way back on sub, and now that I'm off sub only a couple of glasses of wine in the evening. My only concern is will two glasses of wine a day lengthen the PAWS that I am going through now. I have been off sub for 24-25 days (lost count, short term memory sucks).

just curious what kind of PAWS symptoms are you having?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Positivetj- Disoriented at times, major memory issues, depressed, emotional, pretty much the way it is described elsewhere. But the last thing on my mind has been using. I guess I just didn't realize all the BS that is required for recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Spare us the 12-step dogma please. I've seen plenty of ex-heroin addicts who can drink manageably, have good careers, normal (only semi dysfunctional) families.

Sure there are those people who will desire to switch drugs. Usually it's the people who already have alcohol as a part of their addiction, even if it's just used to bring out their high more or to tie them over while hanging out. Seeming as this is a part of your story, it's probably smart to steer clear :(

Common sense is the key. If you have the feeling alcohol may jeopardise your recovery then you're probably right. Otherwise, use your head.

Of course, if you have any issues with your liver as a result of your using, more reason to steer clear. If you're worried about overdose, it's unlikely if you drink in moderation and are on a stable dose.

As for PAWS, in my limited knowledge I don't know how the odd drink would prolong it. the PAWS people talk about for opiate addiction is related to stabilising your natural opioid system, and this takes a long time. But alcohol is a different class.

If you're drinking for relief of your PAWS, that'd be a big issue though cos you won't learn how to work through your uncomfortable feelings. PAWS can be a gift like that in that if you learn to live with it, you can live through anything later in life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

People, what the hell is the point of life if you cannot have abeer with your burger at a cookout. Or a glass of wine with an awesome fish fillet? Come on. It's called moderation. If you have to have all or noithing, then I suppose you still have some issues to work out. As for the rest of us, it's time to practice mental discapline. Have a few beers and stop, don't get drunk. Drink for the taste, people do it all the time ya know, in the real world :) One drug is not the same as another drug at all. What the person who said that ment to say(I think) is that all mind altering subtances are the same to an addict. So does this mean that coffee or tobacco will throw you back into an addiction? I think not. Same thing with marijuana, if used in a responsible manner, there is no harm that came come of it, in fact quite the opposite. This of course is not true for everyone, just like all drugs don't have the desired effect on everyone. Pretty much any drug can be abused, and become addicting/habit forming. Hell, eating can become addicting, not eating can become addicting, TV can. Shouls we ban all these things too? Should we, as addicts not indulge in anything that could possibly become a habit?? I think we ought to practice a bit more self control and positive thinking. Took me alot of shit to finially realize these things, but thank Goid I have. Now I don't have to completely exclude things like that from my life. Obviously I've lost the privilage to ever use opiates again, but thats just as well. And that goes for all synthetic drugs. Except maybe a multivitiman, and my suboxone untill I taper off them, sooner then later. :) Life is good my friends. Life is good. :) P.S I even grow my veggie garden with organic fertilizer now. I guess I've turned from damaging my body and not giving a fuck when i was useing. To being a new age hippie health nut! lol

Post subject: Be carefull
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:39 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

The whole organic think can turn in to an addiction, next you'll be buying organic cookbooks , remember moderation. (That Painter is such an idiotic and ignorant smart Ass )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I actually had the opposite experience as birdie. I was never much of a drinker, never liked the buzz. But one time while on Sub I was at a big open bar party, and many rounds were ordered. I drank quite a bit and I felt like it wasn't affecting me at all (before Sub I could get buzzed on 2 drinks). But then when we left I realized I couldn't walk a straight line, so I was much more impaired than I thought I was. So for me Sub covers the effects, which I guess makes sense in a way.

Personally, I'm wary of alcohol. I feel it's caused more misery in this world than all than all other drugs combined. Just my humble opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Lilly you're absolutly right. Alcohal is looked upon as more acceptable for people to use then other illegal drugs. Everyone views drugs in a bad way because they are illegal, and the goverment wants it this way. If heroin was legal, like it was in the early 1900s,(yet not the entire world was addicted to heroin, Hmmmmm) then people wouldn't have the ghastly impression of it then do today, because they media portrays it in a certain light. Just like marijuana, you think it's illegal because of the detremental effects it has on public health on society? Not a chance, it's illegal because they cannot regulate it. The pill companys put out reports that is has no medicinal value, even though they have made many marijuana pills that are dirrived from the marijuana plant, Hmmmm lets think rationally and for ourselfs for a moment here. The drug compaines cannot patent a plant. They don't wanna hear that it's helping cure cancer, because then people could simply grow s very hardly annual plant, in their own homes and cure themselfs! Meaning they won't be needing any expensive chemo drugs or anything like that. Please people, lets open our eyes and become a bit more indipendant of this cycle of bullshit. Reasearch things for yourself, but take EVERYTHING you hear or read with a grain of salt. Then complie the info you find to be true and go from there. This applies to anything. Thanks for listening guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh and by the way Painter, I am TOTALLY addicted to organic veggies, fruits, and anything organic BIG TIME. I cannot seem to go a single day without something organic. I think it's doing something to my body, I find I have this weird burst of energy and well being. :wink: lol, ANYTHING can be addicting people, there are good addiction too! :)

Post subject: OK Cutty ...............
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:32 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Cutty, If I blindfolded you , could you tell the difference between a radish organically grown "vs" a radish grown on farmer Smiths Farm, be honest now Cutty... Or is it just the fact the package has the word organic on it... You seem to have a good attitude, be carefull around here... Good Luck with Suboxone Cutty, Mike .... at 1mg and holding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Marijuana is not helping to cure cancer, there is no cure for cancer.It can help some people with nausea and some other symptoms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

STP, go and look up Simpson Hash Oil. Get educated, form a valid opinion, and then come back and talk to me. It stops the growth of certain cancer cells. As for the organics question, I don't really buy any store bought organics. I think thats rip off too. But I can certainly tell the difference in my homegrown veggies, compared to grocery store kind, and I use organic stuff.