It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello board, so tomorrow morning I have my induction, my first time getting buprenorphine from a doctor. Now I have had a physical dependance to opiates for about 2 and a half years or so, but have used them longer than that. My main concern about tomorrow, is the fact that I don't take full agonists anymore (and honest to goodness don't even care for them anymore, my main concern being avoiding w/d). I have been taking buprenorphine acquired from the street for i'd say about a year and a half and am 100% dependent on that. Now I told the physician over the phone (when asked if my DOC was pills or heroin) that pills were my issue but didn't mention that I already take bupe. I would like to be completely honest with him but am afraid that if I tell him I took bupe already without a script that he may boot me from the program or not accept me, what have you. Did anyone here take bupe before actually seeing a doctor? Should I tell him this or omit it? Thanks for taking the time to read my thread, and I am glad I found a forum dedicated to the light side(as in recovery, not active addiction like bluelight, opiophile, etc.) Thanks a lot! :D

Post subject: Honesty
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:55 pm 

Hi RMAdam,

I would suggest being totally honest. Plead ignorance and throw yourself on their mercy. I doubt if you'd be banned if you told the truth. The program is meant to help opiate addicted people get their life back. You are asking the same.

The problem that may arise is you are supposed to be in mild to moderate withdrawal before being introduced to Sub and that won't be the case. They should be able to tell when someone is going through w/d's. If you tell the truth, then it's self explanatory.

Good luck tomorrow whatever you decide to tell them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree that being honest is probably the best way to go. Other people have been in your shoes and had no problem getting on legitimate sub treatment after having gotten it off the street for some time. And in addition to the doctor expecting you to be in withdrawals, they may also want to do a UA. Again, if you are honest, then no explanation will be necessary. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks all! Well, the withdrawal thing is NO problem as I haven't done a thing in DAYS and I have been sick as a dog since then. I just moved and couldn't even get anything off the street if I wanted to. I can't stand one more day of being in w/d and wondering how I can possibly get well today, and considering I haven't gone sick for 4 days straight since I can remember i'm at my wits end, so it will be no problem going in sick tomorrow as I have been sick for days (or might as well be weeks for how long it SEEMS like it's been) LOL. But i'm glad I posted this because I have decided I will admit to my sub use, as the main reason I want to go to a clinic is to get stabilized under a physician, and then slowly begin to ween myself off. Thanks for everything! Tomorrows appt cannot get here sooner but the wd's aren't AS horrible knowing in less than 12 hours they will finally be gone. Thanks for responding everyone,and again, it's great to be part of a message board focused on recovery, not active addiction. One step at a time, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think you made a good decision. Hope you come back and let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well guys, just got home from induction, and oh my god what a relief. For the first time in years I feel at peace, knowing that I won't have to chase down pills on the street. It's an amazing feeling for the first time in years to not have to worry about w/d's, it is now a non-issue. And buprenorphine really is a great medication. Sure, they cause their own w/d's but it is much more important for me to stabilize myself rather than spend the whole day as a useless bump on a log, without even the energy to do a load of laundry. Not to mention my doctor is amazing, I got so lucky to find someone that cares. He told me I can call him anytime 24/7, and actually wants me to call him around 7pm tonight, on a freaking FRIDAY NIGHT. He obviously really cares about me and treated me as a person, not a useless junky as i've heard some sub docs can be, and also has very similar spiritual views as I do, even giving me a list of books to read. I probably sat there for almost 2 hours, just discussing life in general with him and he really is an amazing physician. Thank you for those who took the time to respond and I will definitely be sticking around here! :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh I'm so happy to hear it went so very well! That's great news - both that you fit so well with your doctor and that your induction went smoothly. Thanks for letting us know, I was thinking about you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I wish I could say the same about the techs at CVS. The woman I dropped the prescription off too was nice to me, but the woman who was at the window when I picked it up seemed quite judgemental. I had a newspaper I was looking at in line while the cars in front of me were taken care of (which I put down every time I moved up) and I folded it up after telling her my name at the window, to which she sneered at me "You should pay attention when you're driving" in a very rude tone and was quite short with me (which she wasn't at all until she saw what the medication I was picking up). That sort of stigma was exactly what kept me from going to a clinic in the first place, people shouldn't make you feel ashamed, don't they freaking realize that we KNOW what we're going through. Why look down on somebody because they have a problem? Everybody has issues, be it substance abuse, depression, anger, greedyness, etc. At least I am seeking help. Does she really think that I don't regret becoming dependant? For goodness sakes, it's by far the biggest regret I have in my life, and I most definitely don't need people treating me like i'm an alien for it, after all I am the one suffering, not them!

Edit: Oh and THANK YOU all for your kind words! If everybody were as supportive as you guys are, recovery would be a much easier process!