It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I recently moved, and my new doctor dropped my dose from 18mg down to 8 right away. Is this safe?!? I am so scared. I do this dose for the first time tomorrow and I am frightened I am going to experience withdrawal symptoms or cravings. THANK YOU!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, that seems like a really abrupt way to decrease someone's Suboxone dose. Did your doctor say why he was changing your dose like that?

In any case, I don't think you're in danger. It is a large decrease and you might feel some symptoms because of it, but 8mgs is still well above the ceiling level dose (usually about 4mgs). Hopefully any symptoms you have due to the drop will be mild and will pass in a few days. At worst, you will be uncomfortable, but there shouldn't be anything dangerous or harmful.

One thing I would suggest is to make sure you really get good absorption from the 8mgs when you take it. Leave it in your mouth for as long as you can before you spit or swallow so that you get as much of the medicine as you can.

If you do feel like you're having any w/d symptoms, please let us know because many of us will have advice for how to get through them for a few days until you're adjusted to your new dose and feeling better. And don't hesitate to call your doctor and tell him if you feel like you're in danger of relapse or if you experience anything that you don't think you can handle on your own.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your quick response. I moved to a small, hillbilly town (my husband grew up here) from Sacramento and my new doctor is a jerk basicallly. He told me that my old doctor should never have let me stay at such a high dose for so long, and that I need to come down immediately. I hav been clean since 12/16/09. I have done so well for so long and I have thought about dropping my dose again because I get sleepy at my desk almost every day, but not like this! I started at 24 but I am so scared of having symptoms. I was hoping/praying that since the seiling effect is around 4mg that I will be okay, so I am hoping you are right!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi emmasmom,

Yeah, that's a pretty decent size drop, but since the 8mg dose should still be well over the Suboxone 'ceiling' you won't feel it near as bad as you would have a drop from say 10mg to 4mg. Most people don't feel any siginificant symptoms until right around the 4mg mark. Some feel it at 5mg, some don't feel until well under 4mg. You should be good at 8mg in that anything you do feel will be slight and temporary.

If you can keep from psyching yourself out too much about it, that'll help tons too!! Suboxone wd symptoms are so much a 'head game'. Try to stay busy, keep your mind occupied and do NOT stress over the dose reduction, OK?

DOQ brings up some excellent points, trying to maximize your absorbtion at 8mg is a fantastic thought. That will help you physically to get more Suboxone in your system AND it'll help you mentally knowing that your getting more Suboxone in your system!!

Let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:52 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey emmasmom, I hope you the best with this abrupt decrease in your dose! Just curious about how you plan to take your 8mg dose? Are you going to take 8mg at once of split it into two 4mg doses or maybe even 4mg and two 2mg doses? Again I wish you the best luck and when you figure out how much you will be taking and when I am interested to know your progress. thank you ~joseph

Post subject: Thank you!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Can you tell me how to maximize my dose? I was thinking of taking 2mg 4x a day. Is there a better way I should take it? I appreciate all of your answers. I am trying really hard to not freak myself out but I am scared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Diary really gave you some great advice. To maximize your dose, like she said, just let it completely dissolve and keep your saliva in your mouth as long as you can before spitting/swallowing. Also, there are many, many threads in this same category about maximizing dosing as well as on Dr. Junig's blog, "Suboxone TalkZone". If you can't find any of them, just let us know and we'll find them for you.

You should be fine taking the 8 mg all at once, rather than splitting it into 2 mg doses. When do you see your doctor again - in a month? Do you happen to have any extra "back stock" of sub saved up? If you do, over the next couple of weeks you could also go a bit slower to get down to 8 mg. Go down to 12 first for a week then drop to 8. But of course that's only if you have any extra subs saved up.

If you have to go directly to 8, like was already said, you might not feel a thing. If you do feel anything, it might be just a small amount of discomfort for a day or so. Stay active during that time and stay distracted.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:22 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi, 8mg is still alot Suboxone, you may not even feel the decrease... the only bad thing about breaking up your dose is your brain gets used to 2 doses and it is so difficult when you want to go back to single dosing.. If you can take all 8mg at the same time I would, Mike... you'll be fine, I can almost guarantee you

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hate myself! I had a hard time dropping down so now I only have 4mg a day until my next apoointment. Miracuously I am not having any cravings, but I am having temperature fluxuations and achy legs and insomnia. How do I mnaximize my dose???? I have tried keeping the liquid in my mouth for like 45 minutes and it still feels like is dissolves too quickly. I tried breaking it up and painting over my whole mouth and it does not seem to make a difference because I get too much saliva too quickly. Any suggestions would be great. I have to do this. I do not want to relapse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First of all, please, please, PLEASE, try (I know it's hard) to stop being so hard on yourself and stop hating yourself. You're doing the best you can. What you are feeling is some withdrawal symptoms. As for maximizing your dose, it doesn't matter how quickly it dissolves. Just hold that saliva ("juices") in your mouth for as long as you can. That will help maximize your dose.

When is your next appointment? How long do you have to stay at 4 mg?

This is going to sound really yucky, but there was a guy here on the forum a long time ago who actually saved his spit after the sub dissolved (and he held it in his mouth) and froze it to save it for the next time! Some of the other old-timers around here probably remember this too - in fact they might even remember more about it than I do. I know it sounds gross, but apparently it had enough suboxone left in it that he could use it again. I know, gross, right?

When you start feeling the withdrawal symptoms, try to keep busy and distract yourself. Also, and I know you won't feel like it, but try to exercise. It will make you feel better. And get some OTC sleep medication, that might help also.

Now that you've been down to 4 mg, when you go back to your doctor and go back up to 8 mg, that might actually be enough for you.

Until your next doc appointment, please feel free to write about how you're feeling as much as you need to. It will help you to express yourself and it will take up some of your time. It's what we're here for. And again, please take it easy on yourself. You cannot change the past. You can only look forward. Good luck and hang in there. And do keep us posted on how you are doing.

Post subject: Cravings
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

All I can think of is taking a handful of my husbands norcos right now. I feel so awful, have to work tomorrow and I cannot do this!!!! I hate this doctor, I hate myself. How can I get through until a week from tomorrow???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Please, take a breath and try to calm down. I know that's easier said than done. But when someone is this upset, it's hard to think straight. So stop for a moment and take a deep breath.

Remember, you are not out of suboxone. You have enough to take 4 mg a day for the next week. Yes, you will have some withdrawals from the drastic drop, but they will subside a bit. YOU CAN DO THIS. Please do not take the Norcos. You will end all of the hard work you've put into your recovery/remission thus far. The fact that you're freaking out the way you are is making it worse, if you know what I mean. Take a lot of hot baths and like I said above, try to stay busy, active, and distracted. Before you know it the week will be over. And again, please stop beating yourself up so badly. It's over and done now. Do what you can (besides taking the Norcos) to get through the week. And write here as much as you need to. It's what we're here for.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much. This is so frustrating!!! I still cannot believe that I am in this position. I know and will do it. I am glad that my tolerance will be lower when I get my next prescription so that it will be easy to stay at 8, but the 11th seems eons away. I am going to go take a hot bath. I know that it will help. My husband has tons of Norco but I will not take it. I cannot blow what I have worked so hard for. This is just no fun. I know that it will be worse in my head if I make it that way, but when your heart rate is up and you feel like there are spiders in your legs it makes you crazy. Plus considering the fact that I have not experienced this in so long I think it is making it worse. I HAVE to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You sound SO much better! I'm happy to hear that. Do you like to do any exercise? Walk, jog, aerobics, yoga, anything like that? It will keep you busy plus it will help you to feel much better. I think you're doing just great. I know how very hard it is, believe me - hell, we all do. Hang in there and keep up the good work. :)