It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My husband and I have been cleaning going on 23 months. Next month is a big month for us, its our 2 year anniversary. We quit drugs and got on Subutex and got together on the same exact day. April 12th. We've been doing so well. We had a beautiful baby girl in September and my husband is starting college in May. He's doing amazing things with his life that nobody thought he ever could do because of his opiate addiction.

This month when we went to our doctor's appointment we found out that the pharmacy that we normally use is closing because the store it's located inside of is shutting the doors. We were able to get our scripts filled this time but it was hard. We got his the day we went and had to make a special trip back the next day to pick mine up. They didn't have enough the first day. I called 34 different pharmacies trying to find our medicine. Nobody had them and most of the pharmacist were rude. One even cussed me out and threatened to call the cops on me just for asking if they had it.

We travel almost 2 hrs from WV to PA just to see the doctor and get our scripts filled. They won't fill them in WV. I know of 2 pharmacies that carry them but when I called they said that they weren't taking any new patients. I need help finding a new pharmacy that will fill our medications. I don't care if its in PA or WV as long as its not a huge trip for us. We go to the doctor in Greensburg, PA. I'd be willing to drive at least an hour or so out of the way to pick them up. I also need to keep the price affordable. We have 2 children and live on a very fixed income. The only way we even get to go to the clinic is his parents help us and they won't pay much more than what they are now.

We both need this medicine to stay clean. I can't go through withdraw right now. My 5 month old baby gets a small amount of Subutex through my breast milk and the baby doctor has already told me that I can't just quit giving it to her cold turkey. She had a little bit of withdraw when I first had her but when I started pumping my breast milk it went away. Thank God. Can anyone please give us any information on where we can get our scripts filled and what the cost is? Also do they take any discount cards and which one do I need? Thank you very much for your time!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:32 pm 

I have a question. Do you realize that Subutex is no longer being produced and that there are now 4 companies making the generic (Buprenorphine Hydrochloride Sublingual)? Maybe the reason you are striking out with pharmacies is that you're asking specifically for Subutex and the pharmacy staff is not helpful enough to let you know about the new generics?

Apparently, an 8 mg pill of the generic is still somewhat expensive, but I couldn't nail down any actual price. I did find a discount coupon here: http://www.goodrx.com/subutex

I don't know any of the pharmacies in your area, so I can't give you any guidance there. However, I have noticed that pharmacies are reluctant to talk about any of their controlled substances over the phone. Perhaps they are afraid it would invite a robbery.

Instead of calling, I suggest visiting a few pharmacies with your prescription in hand. They might be more receptive after seeing you in person. Also, if your doctor is prescribing the generic subutex to others, ask where they are getting their scripts filled. Your doctor should have that information and should be able to tell you.

I hope any of these ideas help you and I wish you luck getting your prescription filled for a decent price.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Our scripts are wrote out for the generic. I'll have to try just going into the different pharmacies. I'm not really familiar with the area. I think next trip I'm going to have a printout with all the pharmacies and take the GPS with us and just go on the hunt. I'm just so afraid we won't be able to get it filled. They've made it so hard for us to get our scripts filled, especially in WV where we live. Next month we start getting taking down off the medicine. We both have been looking forward to this. I know everyone has different opinions on this but we don't want to be on it forever. We both want to be completely off of everything in the next 2 years. We've decided to wait until Spring so that we can get outside and keep ourselves busy to keep our mind off of everything. I'm a firm believer that its mind of matter. I know we can do it but I don't want to be forced off of it because we can't get our scripts filled. I know that's just a recipe for disaster. Thank you for your reply.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

First off, congrats on your baby and success staying clean! I once had a prescription for the generic subutex while switching insurances and all the pharmacies i went to told me it was a special order. So you drop the script off and they order it and get it in a few days. That's my experience with it in GA but I can't see why a pharmacy won't fill it or claims they aren't "taking new patients", whatever the hell that means for a pharmacy. That's messed up that they'd give you some excuse like that. My only advice would be to keep trying to take the prescription to different pharmacies. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:24 pm 

Any pharmacy should be able to fill your scripts. They order it if it's not in stock, then it comes in the next day or two later. There is no such thing as not taking on new patients. It sounds like pure discrimination through and through. Call the corporate offices and complain. Write letters to presidents/CEO's of the companies, that works better than anything else does. Email just goes to the spam folder.

You deserve to be treated just like every other person getting a prescription filled. If they say or do anything negative or even mention what the medicine is for, file a complaint. They have violated the HIPPA laws. We have strong laws regarding personal medical records. It is none of their business what your doctor has prescribed for you to get better. These kinds of posts just get me so darn mad! Whatever happened to dignity and respect for customers?

Go in, hold your head up high, look them in the eye, and don't take any crap from ignorant workers. It is just the reverse on the West Coast. Rarely ever a problem with attitudes unless it's a small town and local pharmacy.

Sorry for ranting so long. I must be spoiled. My pharmacy techs order in advance for me so I don't have to wait. Plus, they are all as friendly as can be.

Good luck finding a good RX.

rule

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Actually there are only 3 companies that make generic Subutex. Roxanne, hi-tech(those tiny pills) and TEVA. Although teva brand is ALWAYS on Backorder... Unforortunate as teva brand is in my opinion the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am having same problem most pharmacies say they aren't taking new patients. Have you found a place. I know this is old but I'm struggling to get mine every month

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Oops

Last edited by brandonroney1 on Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:53 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I live in Morgantown and see the doc in Pittsburgh. The answer is Phils pharmacy in Monroeville. They for some reason are the only ones who will fill bupe rx for a WV patient. They charge 7 dollars a tablet for the 8mg. Buprenorphine. Our script for 60 cost us 420 bucks plus the 250 office visit brings the grand total to 680 plus 40 in gas...720 divided by 60 tablets makes our cost 12 dollars a tablet. Pricey but worth it. No matter how you sugar coat it the naloxone in the suboxone does get to your opiod receptors and interferes with the effectiveness of the bupe. I don't shoot it either and an 8mg. Subutex tablet has me feeling energetic and upbeat for the entire day whereas the same amount of the suboxone leaves me head achy and stomach upset and they taste so foul its nauseating. Once Phils stops filling for WV patients I don't know what Ill do and I was hesitant to give you this info because everyone is so tight lipped about it, they see it as a supply and demand opportunity for themselves. Typical addict behaviors for those who sell half their script to fund their habit don't want you to find a way to fill your script. While I don't think it is illegal for them to fill it for you, a pharmacist told me the DEA has placed limits on how many out of state scripts for generic bupe they can fill so most if not all pharmacies now aren't allowed to accept new out of state patients. I called about fifty pharmacies and all said no new bupe patients. This cant be legal and would certainly fall under discrimination but that's just how it is and the ma and pa pharmacies were living off of bupe scripts and would love to fill your script but if the DEA audits them then they will get shut down and they aren't willing to risk that. Go to Phils while u can and work on finding a backup plan so you don't end up back at square one