It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay ill start by saying this...
I have been on suboxone 8mg/twice a day for almost 2 years now. I have never asked for medication early and never ran out early and have always had a clean urine screen with my doctors. Recently I decided paying for 2 weeks of my prescription at a time would be better for me financially. So heres where the bullshit starts. On 10/2/15 I picked of a 2 week supply(30 strips). Two weeks later on 10-16-15 my doctor called in another 2 week supply(30 strips). So I was due for a refill on Monday 11/2/15. My doctor called in my prescription and I go to pick it up....the pharmacist informs me that my insurance won't pay...huh? Why? She replies I don't know call them. I wait until the next morning and call them. My insurance company proceeds to tell me Walgreens filled my prescription on 10-16 as a 30 day supply instead of a 15 day supply. First of all that is a lie. I got one box the strips which is a "15 day supply". If I had received a whole prescription I wouldn't be without my meds right now and withdrawing. Point blank period. So now these fools will not even let me pah cash for my prescription. Nothing...naaaadaa. They will not budge. So I'm being shitted on because Walgreens made a mistake. Now I'm a very humble a honest person and I do believe it's pretty shitty for them not to admit they made a mistake and just give me my medicine...Im so torn. Do I just use lortabs until i can get my prescription because I have a full time job I CANNOT be sick....i jst cant. Im really struggling right now on the verge of a complete breakdown. You can't just stop this medication and especially if it isnt my choice to go cold turkey. Someone has to have a similar experience....help....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:40 am 

Hello Aleyak, welcome to thd forum..

I have zero experience with insurance companys or Walgreens . I do read here once in awhile that some Walgreens can pull a stunt on us Subbers..

You sound like a person of good recovery, and I would hate to see you lose what you have worked so hard for .

Will your Dr help? Any way could they. I know it is a loug shot.

I work too. I have to. I need to be here everyday and can't be in wd either. Im not sure taking full blown opiates is the best thing, but when panic sets in....Id just hate to see you go backwards. .

This is a good example as to why a small stockpile is needed or comes in handy. You never know if something in the system will bite you..This flat out Sucks..
Call the Drs office and at least see if they will understand. I never condone buying off the street, but there are times it May be necessary. .try to stay on Buprenorphine not Tabs and such...

I dont know what else to tell you Aleyak. .sorry....

Razor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:11 pm 

Aleyak14,

That is a common mistake done by your insurance company. Either Walgreens can resend it or you can call your insurance company and talk to a human. It shouldn`t be that hard to do. CVS has done this for me when it happened a few years ago. Just be very polite and someone should help you. No, do not go back onto hydro to avoid withdrawals or you`ll risk getting a dirty screen test.

Had you known in advance you at least could have cut your dose in half w/o any w/d`s.

This one is really on Walgreens to fix so go back there and plead with them to fix their error. They messed up so don`t waste your time talking to your insurance company.

Good Luck, you can do this!

rule

P.S. I moved your post to a more appropriate section. The one you had it in is reserved for our on staff doctors comments.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:27 pm 

Aleyka this sucks! I'd be freaked out like u are right now so I completely understand that. But no, don't take any loratabs. If worse comes to worse, and it's probably there already, can u buy some off the street til u get this nightmare sorted out? You'll fail ur urine screen if u do that. Like the others, calmly go into walgreens and talk this out, beg and cry if u have to. Also, I'd be contacting my Dr immediately. They can prove what u were prescribed, u need that proof. I don't understand how that's even legal if u have proof that it's their mistake. When I was on 12 and 16mg in the past (I pay cash) my doctors office called in a months worth and because I couldn't afford to get all of them at once, I'd get half then I could go bk and get the rest anytime I wanted. I could go bk one week, or two weeks later, there was never an issue. Sometimes after hearing all these horror stories about insurance, I'm almost glad that I just pay cash.

I really hope u get this nightmare worked out. Definitely let ur Dr know what is going on and tell them ur in danger of relapse here! They have to listen. This is not ur fault. And I would absolutely switch pharmacies in the future after this fiasco.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys....
Thanks for such a quick response....
1st and foremost I recieved my prescription. My doctor called with me on 3 way and threw out all kinds of DEA regulations over the phone until walgreens admitted they screwed up royally. But before all this CVS contacted me harassing me again saying i coupdnt have my medicine.Stupid ass holes. The pharmacist at Walgreens called and said "i have your prescription in my hand i am so sorry please come get your medicine" they were sooo apologetic and she was truly sorry for the mistake. This was a total nightmare!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:08 pm 

Awesome news Aleyka!! Glad ur feeling better. Everyone needs to take a mental note of this situation cause it happens a lot actually. If u ever have an opportunity to put some extra bk every once in a while, just to be prepared for something out of our control, it's definitely a good idea. I always worry about something off the wall happening. Ppl make mistakes that's out of our control sometimes, but we'll be the one's that suffer until it's straightened out. Something to definitely think about. Again, awesome news that it's worked out now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad it worked out. I, too, had similar experiences a couple of times, so for anyone reading this thread... Rule is right, this kind of thing happens often. In my case, I called the pharmacy manager directly, and also my doctor called on my behalf. ALWAYS save your last refill label. The OP's label would have proven how many she received. Be calm and persistent. When the truth is on our side, things usually work out.
I know very well that fear of going into WD, but try not to panic. On a high dose of Sub it would be three days min. to go into WD. So don't do anything rash like take painkillers or buy on the street unless it absolutely can't be avoided. I also agree with stashing a couple extra. At high doses you can skip a dose occasionally, especially if you've been on them a while.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It honestly amazes me how they could keep a medicine from me. Like holding it hostage. The funny thing is they cant seem to find the "extra box" anywhere. If this ever happens to anyone the first step is to remain calm and contact your insurance comoany and the doctor. Once you have confirmed what they called in what right call the pharmacy and tell them "to shut their pharmacy down and do a count because someone messed up". The truth was seriously in my favor...i had no reason to lie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:55 pm 

Thats great news, and you are right, staying calm ,calling your Dr, who see ed to really go to bat for you in all of this, was the best thing.
Sometimes the right thing does happen, jhst gota have some faith in people...

Glad it worked out for you.... :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Right im not gonna lie i wasnt sure if i was going to use or not. I was actually on the way to an old "friends" house when my doctor called and said everything was worked out. Shes my angel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rule made the point about a situation that comes up often. Insurers fill the vast majority of medications on either a 30 or 90-day time frame. Buprenorphine products are unusual, in that some docs provide only a 14 or 15 day supply. Very few other meds are filled that way. Opioids used to treat pain, or antibiotics, may be written for 10 or 14 days.... but in those cases there is no intent to provide refills.

That is the basis for the problem. I have my struggles with pharmacies... but in this case, I can see how the mistake happened. I have seen this situation happen so often over the years that if I am writing for less than 30 days, I write on the prescription '14 day supply' or whatever.

Because of the severe misery that people are forced into if bupe is stopped, there is a great deal of anxiety when things go wrong. Doctors contribute the the problems-- as do pharmacists-- by assuming that all patients are trying to do something dishonest-- and treating patients like criminals. And patients often make things worse by going into panic mode-- which only reinforces the negative attitudes in the doc and pharmacist.

Speaking to everyone, and not specifically to the poster-- things will ALWAYS go better if you stay calm, and make the assumption that people are NOT working against you. Every now and then, I'll have patients who are totally convinced that I'm going to act like a total asshole... when I'm actually already on their side, and trying to help them.

If an insurer other than medicaid refuses to cover your meds, ask the pharmacist to dispense a couple day supply for cash. Often you can get an insurer to reimburse that expense later, when things are sorted out. With medicaid, pharmacists are told that patients are not allowed to pay cash for meds. At least in Wisconsin I've spent considerable time looking into that issue-- and there are no 'laws' to that effect. But from a policy standpoint, medicaid says that they will allow patients to pay cash for meds ONLY if there is a formal denial of the patient's request for that medication. From a practical sense, that means that if a patient really wants buprenorphine but medicaid only covers Suboxone, the patient can pay cash for buprenorphine-- as long as there is a denial on file for buprenorphine.

BUT... patients covered by medicaid are NOT allowed to pay cash for early refills. In this case, the insurer saw the refill as 'early', and therefore denied it. It sounds like the doc eventually made it clear that the refill was NOT early-- and then things worked out.