It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi ya'll, okay some background i've been an addicted (in one form or another) since i was 16 and now am almost 29. have mostly been on methadone for the past 7 years with some cold turkey detox from methadone, clean for awhile, then using street methadone, then back on a clinic where i only went up to 30mgs then detoxed from there got down to like 11mgs and relapsed on heroin so used a few times got down to 3 mgs got a sub doc stopped my 3mgs of methadone 5 days ago but used 7 bags for two days then went 31 hrs n started my induction today, started slow w/2mgs then an other 2mgs then 4mgs then 8mgs (cause i was def feeling better but still feeling w/d's n my doc just sent me home w/no info on how to do this) Soo my question. i'm still sweating, runny nose, some aches, it gets better n worse at times i dont wanna be on a high dose but should 16mgs be enough?? should i try 4mgs more? can i lower my dose tomorrow or in a couple days if i still feel bad 2morrow? thanx for listening.[font=Arial] [/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi thunder,

I can only offer advice from my own experience. I've had three Sub inductions (two failed attempts from H and a successful induction from methadone.) Not one of those times was I ever able to knock out the withdrawal symptoms completely, no matter how high of a dose I took. This is the reason it's hard for most people to make that transition. The fact that you have waves of feeling good and your withdrawal symptoms seem a bit slight, is a good thing. It can't hurt to try more but the reality is that your body just may need a few days to let the sub build up and start working. Your body is still craving those short acting opiates. At 24mg, I still felt the way you describe.. so... take more if you'd like. I won't hurt you and maybe, just maybe it will help, but don't be surprised if you feel a little icky the first couple days. Hang in there and let it start working, you WILL feel better.

GL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:50 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

thank you i've decided not to go up. and your answer reinforced my decision. i've read n watched so many horror stories about coming off suboxone and now i'am terrified to go up n i dont wanna stay on it for long at all, like two weeks max to make sure the methadone detox is mostly done, i dunno if this is a good plan but if anyone has heard or has themselves tapered off okayish i'd like to know cause all i see is mostly bad and long w/d's. there are a few one's that sound not so bad at all but everyone is so contradictory.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey matey and welcome...

The transition from methadone to Sub is never easy. Some precipitated withdrawal is to be expected, just because methadone has such a long half life that it's nigh impossible to time your Sub dose without it booting some of the methadone off your receptors.

An extra dose of Sub will not relieve your withdrawal in the same way that the short acting opioids will. Because of its ceiling effect, taking more over 16mg will only give you some minor benefit. Tinydancer gave you some good advice. Inducing on Sub from methadone is largely about riding out the uncomfortable feelings for a few days. The first 2 days are the most difficult, but if you hold on and stay strong throughout, within 3-5 days you'll start to notice yourself feeling human again. Sub doesn't numb and mask emotions as much as methadone (IMO), and it won't be long before some of your emotions are revealed again.

Re staying on Sub for 2 weeks. Have a look at your addiction history. I bet it took more than 2 weeks for your addiction to get to the level it is now. Those that do well seem to reduce gradually, get down to a low dose and go slow. Take your time and keep your eye on the big picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:14 am 
New Poster
New Poster

thank you ya i'm just riding it out now the thing is i don't know when i'm supposed to take my day 2 dose 24hrs from the time i started? or when all was said n done? cause it was like 5 hours inbetween. and also if i took 16 the first day what do i take the 2nd day? do i half it? like 8 in the morning and 8 at night? or what i wanna do is 6 and 6, get down to 12mgs. my doctor really didnt tell me much n really half of what they told me i dont remember. i guess my memories a little off with all the using. i know two weeks may not be long enough and this is what i'm debating the big picture or w/d's? cause i can trick myself into thinking i can stay clean but history tells me it hasnt worked for very long in the past. i appreciate your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

thunders23 wrote:
thank you ya i'm just riding it out now the thing is i don't know when i'm supposed to take my day 2 dose 24hrs from the time i started? or when all was said n done? cause it was like 5 hours inbetween. and also if i took 16 the first day what do i take the 2nd day? do i half it?

like 8 in the morning and 8 at night? or what i wanna do is 6 and 6, get down to 12mgs. my doctor really didnt tell me much n really half of what they told me i dont remember. i guess my memories a little off with all the using. i know two weeks may not be long enough and this is what i'm debating the big picture or w/d's? cause i can trick myself into thinking i can stay clean but history tells me it hasnt worked for very long in the past. i appreciate your comments.

you can definitely try that and see what works best FOR YOU... really doesn't matter too much on HOW you take It throughout the day,, especially going from methadone to subs.. IN MY OPINION, anyways.....

I did this transition, too.. and just so you know, I'm in total agreement w/tiny and TJ, in that it's probably not going to relieve all symptoms, but it should definitely take enough of the edge off for it to be do-able...

I was taking around 150mg/day of methadone right up to a week before going on suboxone... just tapered to 50/80 mg a few days before, and no methadone, 48 hours beforehand...

Basically,, you can take 6mg, 12 OR 24 hours from the time you took your first dose,, Id wait til you start to feel the w/ds kick in a bit..... if it's not enough to "kick the w/d down" then take some more...

In MY personal opinion,,, two weeks will BARELY be enough time for the methadone to get outta your bloodstream.. well I don't know If I'm saying this right... but FOR ME,,
when I went thru this crap,,
I had like MAJOR RLS, and crampy muscles everywhere,,, sweats, shits, ETC ETC for two weeks....
my journal says on day 15

''feels like SOME of this poison has left my body... actually slept last night, but still feel like death warmed over ... waiting for things to get easier... BUT, at least I don't have to figure out how I'm gonna get something today. I want my life back badly enough, that I will wait this out"

short entry, yes.... I was still not feeling great...

Good Luck my friend....
I hope you are able to "make" this work.....

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/