It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Help Lost My Insurance
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:36 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Okay so i am a 21 year old College kid who works full time barely scraping by at a gas station. I became heavily addicted to opiates and other substances for around 2 years until i finally seeked help through the here to help program. I am currently seeing a wonderful psychiatrist who has changed my life completely and am currently taking 4mg suboxone singular film twice daily. My alcoholic parents apparently received about 5 letters from the insurance company telling them to mail in verification forms or i was to be kicked out of the insurance program. I have been battling Blue Cross Blue Shield for almost 2 months now and am soon to run out of my script my doc has been very helpful with this situation by doing phone consultations to save money but my script prices are just way to expensive for me. I'm deciding whether to pay Electric bill or pick up 5 days worth of suboxone. I am extremely worried for 3 reasons.
1. I have come so far in the program and i don't wanna resort back to my old habits, i am trying to stay positive, but the increased tension between my insurance company has created a horrible amount of stress and is affecting my school and job terribly.
2. The prices on this medication which i have been on for nearly 7 months is way too expensive their is no generics and it seems that no assistance programs deal with substance abuse.
3. I don't want to withdrawal i have done it too many times i finally have my life somewhat in order and i know i wouldn't be able to cope work, school, fiance, and friends around another horrible withdrawal....

I feel like a small fish trapped in a giant sea, if anyone has any pointers ideas or thoughts on this please feel free to post anything.....

It amazes me i have had this insurance nearly my whole life, i have never really used it other than for a couple eye exams or teeth cleanings, now that i finally had to rely on it they just say your kicked off like the greedy people they are leaving someone trying to change their life for the better out to dry... Thank you corporate america

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

What does "greedy corporate america" have to do with the fact that you got addicted? Or the fact that you trusted something as important as your health insurance to people that ignored numerous requests to fill out information?.. I don't say this to be mean- I say this to point out that your pattern of blaming everyone else raises red flags all over.. You have to stop wasting energy blaming everyone else for this mess and start using that energy to fix the situation.. There's NOTHING more important than that right now..

Congrats on finding the subs on your own and staying clean for 7+ months.. It sounds like you still need the subs to stay on the right track- which is TOTALLY understandable and I'm right there with you.. So, knowing that losing your subs will lead to bad results makes the decision easier..YES, you absolutely should look into getting your subs before you pay your electric bill. I've been in this same situation in the past and I called the electric company and told them I was hurting for money.. They'll help you.. They can take your current bill and spread it out monthly over the rest of the year.. They do this interest free and without hurting your credit once per year... There is also numerous aid programs that will help you with all of your utility bills.. You just have to find them- the numbers are usually located on the bottom of the bills.. If you're pretty close to current on your payments and you give them a call they'll work with you..

So, yes, you're right, getting aid for your addiction might be tough to find, but financial assistance for other stuff isnt.. It's out there, going unused because people don't know about it, or aren't sure how to get it.. That will buy you some valuable time to focus on your health first- without that it all crumbles anyway..

Good luck with this- think outside the box and you'll see there IS help.. And congrats on being clean so long- just gotta keep working at it.. You CAN do it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It sounds like your doctor knows about your financial troubles, and if he does phone consultations to save you money, maybe you could ask him to prescribe you the generic Subutex? Since you have been a patient for a while and if you don't have a history of using IV drugs (?) then he might be willing to do that for you. I have never used the generic, but I've heard they are half the price of Suboxone.

And as nogroovin said, there are many financial assistance programs out there, and yes, most people do not even know about these. I know because I used to work for one that helped low income people out...depending on their situation. If you are attending school and living on your own and don't make much money, I'm sure there are programs out there that would help (even if you weren't going to school and were just low income). You could do a google search on 'financial assistance programs' or something like that for the area you are in.

Or, you could cut down you dose a little bit and make each strip last you longer. If you are taking 8mg/day, try taking 6mg or even 4mg. You might not even feel a difference. If you do feel it and start having withdrawals at lower doses, then this idea wouldn't work...but you could try and see if you are ok at a lower dose. A lot of people say they tapered really fast, starting at a higher dose than you are on, and didn't even feel any different until they got down to 2-4mg.

Just some suggestions. :wink:

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have u talked to your DR at all about switching you to generic subutex?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

BBoy brings up a GREAT point.. Why is subutex so hard to get prescribed? Like they said, if your DR has been supportive, and it sounds like he has, that might be a doable option.. That, along with Taurus' suggestion of lowering your dose might help you.. Don't give up on it.. I know that if I had to give up the subs I'd probably relapse fairly quickly..Keep trying, it's worth it..