It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Help im going bald!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Help i am freaking out. I have been on subs for over 2 years and my hair has slowly been thinning. I take 3 different hair vitamins and i have spent so much money on shampoo and conditioner-i tried the Nioxin- doesnt work so dont waste your money. I am going bald you can see my scalp any longer im going to have to invest in a wig. I am taking 12mg a day and i am starting to taper down i got to get off these. I have read all these post about hairloss my question is does it grow back when you get off? Im terrified of the withdrawls god if i had know about all these side effects i would have just went through the withdrawls off loritab. Someone please give me a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. I just want my life and my hair back. Im so depressed and emotional and mean all at the same time. ANd watching my hair fall out makes me even more emotional and depressed. Please someone help!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:39 pm 

Hi CF914,

Welcome to our forum of recovery. I don't recall any posts about hair loss as a side effect of Suboxone use but then I haven't read all the threads here.

It is unlikely that the Buprenorphine or Naloxone in Suboxone causes hair loss. Have you talked to your doctor about this? Hair loss can be caused by many different things including stress. The more you stress about it the more hair you lose. I'm just worried it might be something serious so please talk to your doctor.

If you still swear it's because of the Sub, well, you have a choice to make. Going back on to Lortab is NOT one of them so forget that thought. Read all the success stories here from those who stopped Sub and that may give you some hope and suggestions on what and how to do it.

Let's see if anyone else has had this problem.

Once more, Welcome here!

rule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you lost weigh since you've been on suboxone? Are you eating right? I know you mentioned "hair vitamins" but our bodies don't always absorb the right amount of nutrients from vitamins. Just a thought.

My hair thinned out my first year on suboxone, but I also lost a dramatic amount of weight that year. I was coming from methadone which made me overweight and bloated. When I switched to subs, I went back to pre-methadone weight very suddenly (but a bit healthier than when I was actively using.) I attribute my hair loss to this sudden weight loss. When my weight evened out, my hair went back to normal.

This may not be the case for you.. just putting it out there. Anti-depressants are also known to cause hair loss. Have you been taking any or switched to a new kind?

Here is an excerpt of what the Mayo Clinic has to say about Hair loss that is not caused by a typical medical illness:

Quote:

Other causes of hair loss
Hair loss can also result from:

A physical or emotional shock. Many people experience a general thinning of hair several months after a physical or emotional shock. Examples include sudden or excessive weight loss, a high fever, or a death in the family.

I'm not saying that your hair loss is not related to suboxone, there are enough people who bring it up which makes me question the possibility... I'm just trying to play devils advocate to see if there could be another reason.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the reply I had my thyroid checked and its not that its got to be the subs. I'm not on any anti depressants and I go to the gym and eat healthy.I'm healthy I just don't get it. I read a lot of old threads about lose of hair and I just want to know when and if it stops. I used to have thick beautiful hair and now I can see the white scalp and no regrowth. Im freaking out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

And my scalp itches. Im scared to wash or brush my hair it just falls out and not only am I losing hair it also breaks. It is crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds like an underlying issue to me. What about Alopecia? Besides getting your thyroid checked have your doctors had anything else to say on the matter?

It's impossible for us to tell you when it will go away because this doesn't happen to most people. Avocado oil should help if your scalp is itching. I'm sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not sure that we are going to be able to give you the answers you are looking for. Although I have seen it mentioned here that hair loss may be a side effect of suboxone by some members, it is usually related to men and issues with the endocrine system resulting in lowered testosterone levels.

From your posts I gather that you are a woman. I hope I'm right, what follows will be directed to you if you are. If not, just ignore the rest of the post. You need to rule out all other possible causes of your hair loss before you jump right into blaming it on the suboxone, as this is NOT a documented side effect of the medication. Again, I'm not saying it's impossible. Just that it's not something we see alot of complaints about. However we do see alot of people willing to attribute any perceived side effect they have to to this medication. Seriously, we've seen some pretty riduculous stuff here at times. It's easy to blame effects from normal changes in your body due to age, or other naturally occuring ailments, on the medication because it was noticed "around the same time I started taking suboxone."

After doing a google search I came across some information that might be helpful to you. The most common endocrine issue that causes hair loss is indeed hypothyroidism, which you have already ruled out. But, there are other things that relate to the endocrine system that can be of concern to a woman and cause hair loss as well.

Other endocrine causes of hair loss are hormones, the sexual hormones to be specific. Women who have higher than normal levels of testosterone in thier system often see hair loss as a symptom

High levels of testosterone are usually but not always due to a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome. It’s often abbreviated as PCOS, and this is also a very common situation that has a lot of manifestations in women. But it usually manifests itself as irregular or no periods, extra hair growth on their face, acne, lack of ovulation, often women have trouble getting pregnant when they have PCOS –it’s usually associated with obesity and weight gain, although not always. And women with PCOS almost always have a high testosterone level.

Being tested to see if you have PCOS usually includes having your testosterone levels checked. However turning points also measure what’s called their bio-available testosterone, which is the active portion of the testosterone as it’s bound up to a binding protein called SHBG, and in PCOS often the SHBG is low so the total testosterone may be okay but the bio-available or the active testosterone is high.

Having bio-available testosterone which is high can often cause hair loss, and there are many drugs out there that can decrease the testosterone and get the testosterone in a normal range and can often correct some of the hair loss.

The other causes of hair loss also can include low estrogen. It is common for women who are pregnant to have great hair. It can become thicker, grow longer and faster than normal, and generally be more "healthy looking". Doctors believe this is due to the increase in estrogen in the system during pregnancy. A big percentage of women who go through menopause will have hair loss, this is an indication of the lowered estrogen levels in their body.

However, having hair loss due to estrogen problems isn't a great reason to go on estrogen replacement therapy if there aren't other symptoms that need to be addressed. There can be risks and you and your doctor should carefully weigh the risk vs. reward of it.

Most of the information given here was taken from an article by Dr. Theodore Friedman.
Dr. Theodore Friedman, M.D., Ph.D., M.Phil., specializes in hard-to-diagnose-and- treat cases of adrenal, pituitary, thyroid, and fatigue disorders. He's been with the University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine since 2005 and serves as Chief of the Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine Division at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. He also served as Director of the Multi-Disciplinary Chronic Fatigue Clinic at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center from 1998-2000.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes I am a woman lol. I am going to talk to my doc. Thanks for the info. Also has any one had there nails turn a yellowish color?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nail and hair conditions can be related to vitamin deficiencies. None of this really sounds like it's related to the suboxone to me. I hope you get it figured out!

Q

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know what else causes hair loss, itchy scalp and yellowing of the nails? Fungal infections.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:55 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Good info Q.
See your Dr, this isnt an uncommon problem with women so dr will know what tests to do quickly. Doubt related to sub but some other underlying condition. Especially if nail discolouration as well. Get treatment sooner rather than later. Things are easier to treat early.
I cant say Ive heard of hair loss to be a side effect of sub.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

@ crazyfool914,

I have been lurking for years but decided to join just so that I could answer your question about the hair loss. I too am a female and experienced EXTREME hair loss, I lost more than a third of my hair. It was coming out in CHUNKS in the shower and also when I brushed it. I had the thickest hair in the world my whole life. My psych/sub doc said it was my thyroid cause I had itchy skin and I was losing my hair. I went to my regular physician and he ran blood work on two different dates, two weeks apart and also did a UA. Everything came back PERFECTLY normal both times. I then went to my OB-GYN...she said it's not my hormones. I KNOW FOR A FACT it was the subs cause it started 2 months after going on them. That was the only difference I had made in my lifestyle.

I started taking biotin in the form of plant derived liquid vitamins called Buried Treasure "Hair Skin and Nails" as well as Buried Treasure "VM-100 Complete" to offset the acne from too much biotin. (liquid vitamins absorb better than pills) I am using Buried Treasure brand and I buy it off of Amazon. My hair is DEFINITELY growing back around my crown and my hair line is no longer receding. I don't notice NEAR AS MUCH hair loss in the shower. My nails are super hard and long and my skin is not dry and itchy anymore. I have also lowered my dose all the way down to half of a milligram (.5mg), (I was at 12mg when I noticed the hair loss) I am trying to come all the way off of subs now. I'm tired of people saying this is not a side affect. Just because it isn't for one person, or even a group of people, doesn't mean it isn't a side effect for a few. :roll:

Also, take Metamucil or some sort of psyllium fiber. It will help you absorb more nutrients from the food that you eat if you get constipated from the subs. Believe it or not, if we are constipated, we aren't absorbing our nutrients correctly which leads to deficiencies. :wink:

Oh yeah, don't forget, most importantly DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!

I hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:11 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have also had hair loss that I believe to be associated with Suboxone. I had all the thyroid and hormone tests done, all within normal levels. My hair wasn't affected immediately, this is over 10 years of maintenance on medication. I am in the last part of my taper off of it right now.

Get into the solution, and meet with a nutritionist or practitioner who can help you create a program of nutrition vitamins and exercise to get your system back on track. Nioxin shampoo has been recommended to me, I'd give it a try, everyone is different, it could work for you.

The crucial thing is to accept what you know in your gut. When you ask for opinions you'll hear a lot of folks say Suboxone has no effect on female hair loss. It may not be a common problem but I am here to tell you that you're not alone and other women are dealing with the same issue.

If you're working on your taper, great keep that front and center. It's scary to lose hair, what woman wouldn't be afraid of going bald? But try not to obsess on this, keep your recovery first, otherwise it's all for naught.

I've been taking hair, nail and skin vitamins for 2 months, and just started the Nioxin shampoo. I'll post about my results. Feel free to PM me, there are many resources available to research strategies to restore your hair. It will come back!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It happened to me. Nioxin does work, I'm a stylist. It works for me, my family friends and many clients. It has to be used properly

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi, longterm opiate use ( even at therapeutic levels ) messes with your endocrine system. If affects the adrenal gland and cortisol is messed up. I'm going through this now, it was very hard to find out because everything looked "normal" on the tests, but testing had to be done at several intervals throughout the day. Luckily I got a good endocrinologist, but it's a bear. Not much has been researched in women, but it's called hypogonadism (sp?) Google long term opiate use and the endocrine system and you'll find enough info to get you directed to a dr. Good luck, CC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

WARNING: heavy use of parentheses ahead.
Yesssssss!! I am new new here. The side effects I've experienced are multiple. I wasn't even thinking about the hair loss being due to the suboxone. I wasn't connecting it. Now that you mention it……Yes, I'm losing hair, noticeably. I've been on Sbne since September of 2013, and I thought I was going to taper off ASAP, but my doctor has been sort of snailing forth on this. I NEED to get off of this stuff, because I have to take care of my twins (27, adult disabled dependents), my mother (94) and a web page I'm trying to start because I'm poooor folks, and I don't want to be old and in the gutter. ( I live in the united states and the US has this strange attitude about not helping anyone except the rich.)( in this country old age is so awful no wonder people die of it!) Anyway. The hair. I've realized over the past few months that in addition to the insomnia and the tremors and myoclonus (jerks) I can't seem to put a clip in my hair without seeing my scalp shining through. And definitely this is progressive. In fact, since I started this marathon, I have entered a period of accelerated aging. Weird. I really hope it IS the meds. Cause I'll be off of it, and there's a chance that it will all have been yet another bad dream. I'm down to 4mg -- 6mg alternating days. Is that a low dose? See how much I know! Please. Please tell us more. By the way: if anyone is going to have strange special effects from a med, it's I. My doc loves to take down notes and notify the pharmaceutical companies. So…I'm not alone. That feels better. I must be crazy about something else. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:00 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I experienced hair loss on sub. Now that im off, i notice my cousin is starting to lose his hair and he's on sub. Since i quit sub 5 months back, my hair has become Very thick and it did grow back. Its also very dark which i dont remember before. :|

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I forgot to mention that i lost almost 60 pounds during this process

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:21 pm 

Wow! Someone is missing the information we have here. It can't be just a coincidence that so many people, plus so many women are losing their hair as a result of Suboxone use. I encourage all those who have had this symptom to report it to the FDA. Ask your pharmacist for the phone number. They want to know all the side effects of every drug on the market.

Now that this thread has some depth to it, it will be easier for others to find it later using the search feature.

Not being in the medical profession I have no opinion on this subject anymore. We'll just leave it to the members to post their experience.

r

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh SAY! This is so helpful! So I am not alone!! Since I wrote my verifying response to "Help I'm going bald!!!!," I've spoken to my Subxne doc, and she dismissed me summarily. "No no no. It's something else." She's the one who's turtling on my taper. She also was dragging her feet because she consulted my shrink and they both felt I was depressed. I WAS. Of course I was! Because it's going so slowly and I need to ge my life back. I'm not driving (my 94 yr old mother is my chauffeur), too tired to do my creative work, have twins to help, life to reclaim…of COURSE I'M DEPRESSED. She won't speed up this taper. She will, of course, but she's arguing strongly with me. (I fear she wants me to stay on this forever). With the information here, I think I can back my suspicions up and at least get her to think twice about "It can't be the subox because you've been on it so long (8 mo.) and nothing's happened." I think this has to do with prolonged use, not how much you're taking. Anyone agree? It is also SO SOOTHING to know that with some people here, at least, the hair comes back. But will the time I've lost come back? nope. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Blessings on everyone!