It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: HELP ME GET OFF THIS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everyone
I have reached the point where I'm in AA and really wanna come off this crap. I have been feeling depressed every day and hate how this makes me feel at this point. I want off. I have lots of the suboxone strips, but my doc switched me to bupe pills (2mg) and I take 4mg a day. Is there a way I can relatively painlessly come off this stuff---I am a single mom and I cannot afford to not be able to function. Anyone have a taper plan for me that goes slow enough so that I am still able to function? Please let me know how I can do this and what to expect. Thanks@

Post subject: Re: HELP ME GET OFF THIS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:27 pm 

Maya,

All you need to do is search this section and Bupe in the rear view mirror. If you can't find decent taper posts then one of us will do it for you and post either the link or quote.

Keep in mind that it's a grey area when tapering. There is no "Fits All" method. Each and every one of us react differently to tapering off Bupe. For me, going from 4 mg's was easy getting to 1 mg. I dropped down a little every two weeks to give my body a chance to stabilize. It may take longer for you. Some shorter.

I went from 4 to 3 w/o any symptoms. Same with 3-2 mg's. The only problem I had was trying to go from 2 to 1. Hatmaker told me it was too much of a drop. 50%. So I returned to 2 mg's for two weeks, then went to 1.50 or 1½ mg's. Two weeks later I went down to 1 mg. That's as far as I got.

My plan was to go to .75, then .50, then .25 and stay there for at least a month before stopping or trying to taper further. It gets very hard to measure at that low amount. Some here have has success with the liquid taper method. Look up those words up top in our Search feature.

For now, just drop to 3 mg's and stabilize.

r

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Maya,

I started at 4mg as well. As Rule said; getting lower, about to 2 mg, was relatively easy for me too. Below 2mg has been a challenge, but doable. As everyone says, we all have different experiences with sub, but I bet you will be able to get down to 2mg without much trouble if you do it slowly.

I've recommended this before, but if you only have access to the pills, get a mg scale on Amazon for about $25. It's great for measuring your doses if you only have pills and you'll be able to measure a 10% drop every 1-2 weeks, depending on how you feel.

I've had somewhat random experiences with each 10% drop, but it's been survivable. I wish you the best and of course, this forum is awesome for support, information, etc. The best thing is; you can do it! If you are ready, have all of your support systems in place, etc., you will succeed in leaving sub treatment as a happy person with the tools to survive a lovely, sober life. :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maya

You will be able to get off suboxone - i deleted most of the post as i see there is a tapering thread now.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, I met with my dr., and decided to stay on for now. Here's my deal....I wake up every am really depressed and lonely and not feeling myself. However, I'm not sure I would feel any better off the bupe...my fear is maybe I would be worse? Could this be PAWS even though I'm on this? It's been almost 3 months since I've used, and I'm wondering if my brain is healing while I'm on the bupe (3mg a day now) and that is why I feel so weird? I don't know. Anyone else have this happen? I just want to feel normal again, and I"m scared I never will :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:02 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi Maya77,
Are you on an SSRI at this time? Have you talked to your Doc about possibly getting on them to help with the depression? I am sorry you feel so sad all of the time.
~Sherah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This is meand just me, I have detox from bupe two times over the last 5 years. I was on this stuff for 3 years straight this last time. At the end of my taper I was on 2mg a day. I went cold turkey from 2 mg a day to nothing. I was in hell for days. The shits, deep bone pain all over my body, Sneezing, cold chills. I gave up and was on the way to the E.R to makeup a migraine to get a fix. By the grace of god the dr seen right thru me snd sent me home with a script of tramadol, I thought shit a wasted trip, I knew trams were a weak opiate, better than nothing right? Got home and slammed 5 down my throat an hour later no buzz or warm feeling all over so I thought it was the bupe still in my system but I felt alot better not 100 percent but better. I went to a meeting and talked to my sponser and he questioned my desire to be sober and after my conversation with him and him being a junkie knowing what it is like and him knowing I was taking them to feel well "not sick" and them not getting me high. He came over to give me 3 a day for a couple weeks Knowing how long it takes for bupe to get out of my system. I got off bupe and made it with my sanity intact.. All I got to say is, this is what worked for me, and I truely beleive that you you must have a strong desire to stay clean... Before all you guys start bashing me please take in account how long I was on the stuff and the fact that I am 1 and half months sober, clean from bupe, trams, or any opiates at all, and with a honest desire to stay sober...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:37 pm 

Hi Corman,

No one is going to bash you for your post. It's your story and stick with it.

Had you joined our little forum here way before you quit we would have suggested tapering down a lot further to avoid all that discomfort. But you did what you needed to do and it worked. So far. Keep up the good work and keep going to meetings. It sure sounds like you're on the right path.

Welcome to the forum!

rule

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:54 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I was on this forum in 2008 or 2009. I just forgot my screen name. There is no way put in your e mail to find what my screen name was... The thing was I could never really go from small dose to nothing without going crazy and I had a true honest desire to quit.. My thing is WHATEVER it takes to stay sober. I can't describe how it feels to be truely free.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Maya:

I totally get it.. I am in the process of getting off (again) cause I hate the way I feel on it now.. I have a little one and cannot be sick.. I have found that, should you decide to go the direction of getting off again, I have been on about 8 weeks.. so I want off now before it get to be harder, that exercise is the most important aspect to getting of bupe (sub) it is a must.. and a lot of it.. I take my baby for several walks a day, run in the a.m. before he wakes up and go for hour walks on the weekends..

I drop and do push ups when I get a chance.. use him to do squats.. whatever it takes.. and I only take micro-doses (that is all the is really needed, I have found for me) I am talking like 0.2 and below.. when I am feeling super crappie only.. it is working for me. However, I AM also on Cymbalta (an SNRI - Antidepressant)

Whatever you decide I hope you find some peace and happiness so you can enjoy you kid(s) I had such a hard time with depression after mine was born..

Take care.. PM me if you like.. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks everyone,
I was off the forum for a while. Back on as I'm down to .75mg of suboxone. I want off. My doc wants me to taper to .5 in a week, then .25 a week later, then jump. I wonder if I will be ok? I have klonopin, immodium, Zofran for nausea, etc. Do you think I will be ok? Oh, and visteril for restless leg stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:56 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Maya, you can stay at each dose until you are comfortable to stop again. Your doctor's recommendation seems a bit aggressive with only 1 week inbetween drops. I aim for at least 3 weeks between drops but if I needed to stay at a dose for a month or more, that's ok. Talk with him about keeping you at least 3 weeks between drops.

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg