It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Please help me help him. He's been an addict for 10 years. He had a prescription for Suboxone and stopped taking it several months ago. He realized recently after several relapses and a near overdose that he needs to be on Suboxone again. Went back to the recovery center and now they want him to do a 30 day inpatient stay before he gets another prescription. He has a wife and two kids counting on him to pay rent and buy food. If he goes to rehab he will lose his job. I wish I could help keep them afloat financially but I can't without going under myself. What can we do? He has been buying it under the table from someone else but that won't last long because the supply is very limited and he will run out. Thank you for any ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:28 am 

Welcome, Does the agency that wants him to go inpatient offer an IOP? I would look for an IOP in the area or a private suboxone doctor. Good luck! I am sure more will respond soon!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:51 am 

Hey obelisk, welcome!

Right on Michelle, that's exactly what I was going to say too :)

I totally understand not being able to just walk away from a job for 30 days, honestly there's not a huge amount of ppl that would be able to do it with a family depending on em. Just tell ur friend to find another doctor.....he/she may have to drive farther but it would be worth it in the long run. If I had to drive an hour or two farther for this treatment, I absolutely would without a doubt. And getting them off the street is definitely not the way to go because that's extremely unreliable, they could run out any min, all it'd take is their doctor calling them in for a count and that could end it. So try to talk ur friend into looking for another doctor, that would be the best solution I could think of.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

He's been going to IOP, and he requested to go back on suboxone. His IOP counselor told him if he wanted to go back on it, that he'd have to go to 30 day inpatient treatment. He could start the suboxone during treatment but he'd still have to go.

There is exactly one doctor in this town who can prescribe and is taking new patients.. but insurance is a problem. I will check out other options. Thanks so much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:15 pm 

I hate to say it, but your friend needs to go farther afield to find a suboxone doctor.

I am very pissed off at whatever facility he has been going to! Suboxone makes you less desperate and better able to live your life as normal. It seems like this facility is just trying to bilk people out of their or their insurance company's money rather than treat people the best way they can!

He needs to be willing to look elsewhere!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh, he is totally willing to go somewhere else. The trouble is there are only so many places who will accept state health insurance--he has double coverage (covered through work, and because low income, covered through the state). But the work coverage has a $1500 deductible, which they can in no way afford, so they have to find a place that will take the state health insurance. I hope that makes sense.

I am absolutely furious with the facility--it's a branch of Catholic Community Services, and they apparently just aren't willing to let him go back on subs without inpatient. And he would happily go to inpatient if it weren't for his job and the fact that if he loses his job his family is screwed. He barely makes enough money to support them as it is. So frustrating. We are now looking up to an hour+ drive away and he will be out of subs tomorrow. I know buying under the table is really bad, but I don't see another option at this point until he can get into a program, because if he doesn't have any he'll just go use.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

We've got an appointment Monday.. 90 minutes away.

I'm so pissed that the place in town won't help him. I mean, if he's buying them under the table in an effort to stay clean, he's probably serious enough to be on a program.. but no, they are inpatient or nothing, and he simply can't afford to take a whole month off plus would probably lose his job if he did.

The place where he has an appointment has an initial visit, one in two weeks, then monthly. Does anyone know if we can expect a rx to be given at the initial visit?

Also would appreciate any thoughts on NA meetings vs. IOP vs. private therapy. His wife and I feel strongly that he needs some outside support. He says meetings aren't really his thing. Ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:26 am 

My initial visit was the consultation, blood test, urine test and what rules to follow with ur induction BUT I'm sure most places don't go through all of that. What I'd do is just call and ask. Call and say....hey will I be getting a script my first appointment, do u need to be prepared for an induction.....absolutely nothing wrong with calling to get that information and u better believe that I'd find out lol.

Some places provide group counseling and also an addiction counselor, so maybe the place ur friend is going will provide that. If they don't then maybe they can recommend a counselor or something.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

good ideas all around... I agree that it makes no sense to require 30-days of non-medicated treatment before starting buprenorphine. The only exception though would be if a person is addicted to mutilple substances. I will occasionally have patients who are as addicted to cocaine or alcohol as they are to opioids, and in those cases the only good option, if the person cannot avoid the destructive consequences of those addictions, is to refer the person to residential treatment. Success rates are very low after 30 days in residential treatment, but they are better than doing nothing in those patients.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Should he tell the Dr that he has been taking them without a prescription?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:55 pm 

I find it is always best to be honest when starting out in a new treatment or dr. They will more than likely ask for his history and what he has been useing.
They will also want to know how much Buprenorphine his daily intake has been. This will help with the RX amount the dr will be giving him.
Im glad to read you all have found a new place for him to go to. He needs stablized and to be craving free. Sound s to me that he has a good foundation to build on.
I believe I read where he is in IOP. That is a good start to be around others with tthe same type of issues. Doing this alone with nobody else is hard ,especially in the begining. Group therapy,therapist or sitting in aa/na had myself involved more my first year. Hopefully he is agreeable to one of them.

Hope Monday goes well.

Razor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The recovery center here said they could get him on suboxone if he went to 30 day inpatient treatment (like he'd start it while he was in treatment) but that he'd still have to go. It's just not an option and they don't understand that.

He is in IOP but he isn't feeling it does much because it's from the same center that won't let him do suboxone without inpatient treatment, and almost no one in the group is serious about being clean. Some of them actually get high in the parking lot afterwards. I will look into private therapy, though, or groups..

Thank you all so much, I would never have figured this out otherwise!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:53 pm 

Also, unfortunately sometimes u have to take the good with the bad in order to get urself help. There's always gonna be ppl that aren't taking their recovery seriously and ppl that's on this medication that is going to make it look negative. Does it tick me off, yes absolutely, but sometimes u gotta go wherever u can to get help right now. U can always be looking for a better fit in the meantime (I'm talking about the ppl in the parking lot not the 30 days inpatient treatment). Being too picky can leave u sitting without help. That's just my opinion on it, there's always those ppl that just don't get it, still using and u look at them thinking....wake up dude ur blowing the chance at a new life. I see it constantly at my clinic. But I love my doctor and those ppl will finally be let go if they aren't doing right. Ur friend may just need to overlook a few negatives to get help more quickly :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After a very long day of driving, we have a filled prescription, a recheck in two weeks, and a doctor who really, really got it--plus a referral to a closer doctor who hopefully has a spot!

I am so happy-thank you all so much-I saw real relief on his face for the first time in maybe ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:20 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

obelisk wrote:
After a very long day of driving, we have a filled prescription, a recheck in two weeks, and a doctor who really, really got it--plus a referral to a closer doctor who hopefully has a spot!

I am so happy-thank you all so much-I saw real relief on his face for the first time in maybe ever.

yey! how is it going?