It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Cam- you have nothing to feel bad about "still" being on Suboxone. Trust me, your willpower with weaning is something I could never do. Just come on here and celebrate every step with us!

Stargazer- Thanks for sharing. I have been wanting to search for a mantra or a prayer for this step in my recovery, the Prayer of the Chalice is inspiring.

ForMe2012- Pain issues are the worst. Unfortunately doctors are forgetting that opiates are only for short term acute use and keep on prescribing long after they should. It always helped me to know the REASON that opiates worked, they pump extra endorphins in your system. Great for a short term fix, however your brain also produces endorphins and it starts to get lazy when you add opiates. Your brain basically says, "Screw it, I already have all I need". When you stop opiates, you will feel more pain for a short while but there are ways to naturally raise endorphins and pain is actually one of them. God made our brains to take care of itself, endorphins are our "natural painkillers", and your brain will pick up the slack after stopping opiates. The things that increase endorphins are:

Pain
Exercise
Sunlight
Smiling (yes even if it's forced)
Sex
Dark Chocolate
Positive thinking & Meditation
Laughing
Spicy foods
Being scared
Being around loved ones
Pressure points (including the skin between thumb and pointer finger)
Massage, Chiropracter, Accupuncture

When you feel low FORCE yourself to try one of these, and you will slowly feel better.

Well, for me it's Day 8!! I think most of the physical symptoms are improved, however I have a HUGE headache, my WHOLE head and face. Just cleaning my face in the shower hurt, like my bones were sensitive, Odd.... Sleep was MUCH better last night, no Xanax required!! The REAL work now is trying to stay positive and motivated. I wish I had a job to go to right now, that would help so much. I am sooooo bored. Trying hard not to dwell. On that note, I think I will take my own advice and jump on the elliptical!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey JByrd,

I continue to be astounded by how well you're doing. I was a little hesitant to say this, but since you've passed the day 7 mark and are into day 8, I think it's now safe to say that the worst of what acute wd you should have experienced is over. You really are doing fantastic and I hope things stay nice and smooth for you.

As a side note, I originally got on opiates for pain and when I eventually quit opiates and Suboxone, my pain basically disappeared. I think it may have taken a month or two, but for all intents and purposes, I have no pain now. If I do overdo it, I take 2 Advil and those 2 little Advil knock the heck outta whatever pain I did have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Romeo- I admit the past two days I have been paranoid thinking the w/d symptoms would come back all of a sudden. I also got started from an endless script. They just kept upping my dose with no concern- it was 6 months before I realized I was addicted. The pain did magically go away after I stopped also...
It's such a relief to be on Day 8!

I think I solved the headache mystery- I haven't had caffeine in 5 days. I have been so thirsty for just Vitamin water and switched coffee to decaf tea. Caffeine here I come!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I went on a caffeine rampage during my first 1-2 months. It got to be a problem I think. If I could have hooked up an IV, I would have. I'm back to normal now though. Coffee did help though. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:

As a side note, I originally got on opiates for pain and when I eventually quit opiates and Suboxone, my pain basically disappeared. I think it may have taken a month or two, but for all intents and purposes, I have no pain now. If I do overdo it, I take 2 Advil and those 2 little Advil knock the heck outta whatever pain I did have.

Isn't it crazy how well advil works? I never thought I'd say that but they really do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tinydancer, yes it is amazing to me how well Advil works now that I'm off all opiates. I tried and tried Advil or Tylenol or Aleve while on opiates and my body basically laughed at me and said, "give me the good stuff Romeo!" LOL

Truthfully, I'm amazed at how well most any over the counter medicine works for me. A long time ago, early in my opiate career, I had to take Restoril (Temazepam) to help me sleep. Nowadays when I have trouble sleeping, I take half a Unisom and within half an hour I'm out like a light.

I seem to be pretty sensitive to a whole host of things now. Caffeine is another one of them. On opiates, I would drink 8 to 10 cups of coffee per day, if I tried that now I'd be bouncing off the walls like a madman. I drink 2 cups of coffee per day now and that's it, anymore than that and I push the envelope of looniness.

I feel like a "drug virgin" again!! :D

Post subject: How is it going J
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi JByrd, hows your detox going? Hopefully it's going well and your focus towards the lighter side of life is still strong.
For me I'm tapered to 0.8 mg, and looking forward to jumping pretty soon.
I hope your listening to some good music that lift's your spirit and helps you relax and just be in the moment.
Doing art work of any sort, while listening to your favourite music, can really help shift thought patterns to a level that comforts and short circuits the false need to take a pill. Also magnesium is pretty good for relaxation and passion fruit flower tea helps with sleep.
Around now is also a time when you have a strong urge/excuse to take a pill, and if you do/have - don't punish yourself, just leave it in the past, and focus on your recovery again.
For me it took a long time to realise there's no cure [unlike normal people I can't have a 'one off opiate high' -period-], and the healing is only in abstinance.
Best of Luck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HEY JBYRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope ,,, really HOPE your detox is still going well,,,,,,
You know I wanted to post on here the other day, but forgot to come back to it,,,, this is a WONDERFUL
jump thread SO FAR..........
but you gotta
[marq=right]~~KEEP POSTING~~[/marq]

HONESTLY,,,, we NEED more "jump" threads that can explain to people, "what they are IN for"
Can you think of how MANY people you could help and encourage, by finishing this thing out???
I don't know if that makes you PROUD, or SCARED,,, but
HOPEFULLY PROUD
you should be!!! your a ROCKSTAR,,, and a soldier, fighting this opiate addiction, toe to toe right now........

hang in there, and do PLEASE keep us updated,,,,
if you would NOT WANT this thread used, as something for me to say, hey "read this one" to new members,
or members planning to jump, just
LET ME KNOW and I will adhere to your wishes,,,,,, No problem......

again, I hope your doing well, or at least OKAY,,,,,
hang on just a bit longer,,,,, YOUR really kicking this thing's ass, here :wink: :wink: :wink:

Here's some music for encouragement,,,,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWJXDG2i0A[/youtube]

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/