It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:36 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been trying hard to ween off of Suboxone for a LONG time now. I kept going back up, back down, back up, -- yo-yo--ing. I could NOT deal with the sensations in my legs. I feel like I get it so much worse than a lot of ppl, since I have nerve problems, and other health issues and problems (including kidney/CRF). I took the suboxone b/c I was becoming dependent on opiates. I was given opiates for my RA, and other probs, and here I am today.

After being prescribed a zillion different things by the doctor over these last years, nothing helps me. I have a sensitive stomach, so some of them made me crampy, made me go running to the restroom, or nauseous all day or when I woke up (my legs/feet get so bad it's not just at night, it's all day), or like a raw sensation in my stomach. And I had been trying to get rid of these sensations for over a year it's been annoying bad too, so.. I'm elated so my first thought was that I need to help those that are going through the same thing as me!!

I went to a shop where I get my supplements, and told him what my problems were.

I feel like it's not even RLS really. It really feels like, spasms in my legs and feet, at a rate of 1000 spasms a second! Literally, that's how uncomfortable it is, keeping me up all night, uncomfortable during the day and then creeping up on me in other parts of my body too?

So, maybe it really wasn't RLS. And that's why the homeopathic stuff didn't work, and maybe that's why the Mirapex only hurt me & didn't do any help, and that's why the Requip didn't help.. etc.

For anyone --- ANYONE else going through what I go through, I have always had nerves problems, and this Suboxone just intensifies it to the point of driving me crazy --- please take my advice and go get yourself some Magnesium 250mg tablets.

Don't get the liquid as I wasted my $ on that thinking ooo, so it will cross the blood brain barrier right away? Sure, okay! Nope. I couldn't stomach it. My tongue wasn't even havin' it! Blagh!!

I just ended up going to GNC this time, and getting their brand of Magnesium, the 250mg tablets, they are white and round, and like the size of an aspirin. I can deal with that. And affordable.

I took one last night around 7, b/c I couldn't handle it anymore and I was going crazy after not sleeping for 2 days. Several hours later.... hmmm.... nice.... the spasms are not as spasm-y.
So then I took a second one about 1/2 hour before I went to bed since it was late anyway. OMG!! It took all of the horrible sensations away from my legs and feet (which are the WORST), and even my arms, and it felt like - ya know that 'relief' feeling where your just sighing like 'ahhhhh' and slunch down like, b/c your so tired from the discomfort n lack of sleep from it? That was me.

So.. I had to share my small story, and I hope that I can help someone or a lot of people, to stop their RLS (I don't think that's an accurate word - in my experience anyway), or spasms at a 1000 spasms per second in their legs and feet and even other parts of body..

Go grab a plain ol' bottle of Magnesium. The guy told me I can take up to 500MG a day, but I'm going to do some research and see if I can take more if I need it, b/c it's a life saver at this point. I have hope that I can get over that final hump now to be DONE!!!! I wish I'd of found it sooner!

(What the Magnesium does, is help with the nerves - hence the spasms go away - and cell growth. Works!!!)

Thanks, and happy Mem Day everyone!! :)

Day'

Last edited by In2MyOwnAgain on Tue May 27, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:53 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Glad you found some relief! I get the leg thing, but not nearly as bad as you described, or heard from other people. What dose are you at now? I am tapering as well, & Magnesium is not a part of my vitamin "plan", but I've heard from a few different sources that it's great for the nerves. One of the mistakes I made early in my taper is I bought a whole bunch of supplements, on top of the ones I was already taking for certain health reasons, & I took them all at once which upset my stomach even more on top of tapering off sub. Now I take a couple in morning & with lunch, or alternate days with certain ones. Thanks for sharing. Let us know how the rest of your taper goes.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi Mama,

Thanx for responding to me :)

I'm so happy for you that's not one of them, so bad anyway..

I'm currently up and down, I am at one whole one, 8mg.
I have been stressed, and spoiling myself in a way b/c of it, and I have gone up to 12mg, down to 8mg, down to 4, back up.. not good, but stress is at an all time high and it's hard to not feel so good when you've got so much on your plate ya know?

I actually found out about the Mag. from a guy at the Vitamin Shop, b/c I was going to purchase Potassium. I should still take the Potassium, since blood tests revealed my Pot. levels are extremely low.. but.. one thing at a time.

What health issues do you have? It makes it harder in my opinion to get off of the sub. when you have other issues - especially nerve issues..
I suffer as well. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Spondylosis, Scoliosis bad and progressive, and RKF (kidneys), as well as BP disorder, and Major Anxiety Disorder. So I've always had prob's with anxiety and panic attacks, passing out, spasms in legs n all.. so, for me the magnesium is like a God-Send at this point.

My thing the last 3 days now? I feel like the Suboxone isn't helping me as much b/c of the mag? The spasms n all have been pretty good being absent, except for when I wake up, I can't sleep for more than 5 hours (in all ways n many reasons), and if I do get a chance to, my legs n feet n all make it impossible. The mag has helped, SO much but still not to the point I can sleep 12 hours if I wanted to n could - god I remember that - when you could take a 'rainy' day every once in a while , sleep the day away? I miss it..

What other supplements do you take?

I did the same thing, and I had the same reaction as you, with the tummy. Horrible.

So, now I take L-Tyrosine, depending on the 'happy' I want up to 4 a day, since that helps the dopamine and it really DOES help so that's cool, and then B-12 as well, for the energy, dissolvable ones up to 6 a day depending on when I need more energy. And the Magnesium. That's it.
I took L-Dopa, 5-HTP, and a slew of others that I had researched trying to replace what the Suboxone had messed up in my brain/body, but it all messed with me so much that I am doing just those ones for now and I'm going okay.

Yet - I am about to go down to either 1/2 or 3/4 in 2 days. I'm scared, but I'm also confident, since the mag has helped me so much that I feel like I can do it without major problems. I expect the temp. irregulation and the lower energy, but the supp.'s help with the low energy and happiness, so it's just the temp. thing I have to deal with really. As long as my spasms don't kick up when I do go lower. I have so much hope though.

What dose are you at currently? What do you take, the Orange tabs, or the generic white or the films?
I take the generic white dissolvable tabs, I feel like they work better than the films for some reason. Plus w/the law out there for some reason they pretty much banned the orange tablets around here - stupid, b/c it's not solving the problems still.. anyway.. Could be just me though.

I've rambled enough.. I'm so glad you responded to me, it is really nice to have support in this, where there's no one here in my world that I have support from or can talk to about this journey - it's like a nasty secret that I have to keep like I'm lower than those around me.
I didn't even do anything 'wrong'. I noticed my body was becoming dependent on the opiates that my doc gave me for my health issues, and so I didn't wanna be one of 'those people' that were dependent on a pill to keep them going, so I started taking these, and now am wishing my doc would have never given me the narcotic in the first place... live n learn right?

What's your story, how did you start taking the Suboxone, what were you taking/doing before... I'd love to hear more about you?

Thanx!

Day'

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:17 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Glad you're sharing your story on here, and that you're planning on cutting your dose. As for me, I was prescribed a ridiculously high amount of subs for a relatively small, and short, relapse with norcos, percs, etc. I am currently down to between .375 & .5 daily, but I plan to at least start skipping days next week, if not jump completely. I have been keeping this a giant secret as well and so glad I found this forum. Keep reaching out to people, it helps a lot! It's perfectly normal and okay to be experiencing that fear of lowering your dose, but it really isn't that bad, at least not as bad as we tend to make itin our minds!

The consensus on here seems to be the slower the taper, the better. I'm on somewhat of a time limit, but there are people on here who have tapered down/jumped with minimal withdrawals after reducing then stabilizing on each drop, about 5-7 days. Also, exercise, anything you can do to vet yourself moving & occupied. I forgot if you said you had clonodine, but I have it & it works really well for me. I just have to go really easy on it during the day. I'm also taking L-Ty, B6, glutamine (I have ulcers) omeprazole, and a multi.

Keep posting, whether it's good, bad or ugly! You are not alone and I have found some great support here! Let me know how it goes when you drop!