It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My husband and I had our baby son on Weds evening, and never in a million years expected to go through what we are going through now. We have both been on subs since the end of October, and dont do any other drugs. We have been working the program religously and see our doctor once monthly and take random drug tests. We have also been decreasing our doses gradually and had planned on quitting completely here in the next month or so. We are both responsible, capable parents and are now being treated like absolute garbage at the hospital.

Our baby was born with a cord around his neck and needed to be taken to the NICU to be monitored. This went on for days, and I was not allowed to have the baby in my room. Every day I had social workers and everyone else under the sun coming into my room and interogating me about drugs and why I take sub etc.etc. One even threatened to call childrens services on me if my child tested positive for drugs which I didnt understand bc I have taken so many drug tests in the past month or so which were all clean. Obviously there is a failure in communication throughout the hospital, but it was still offensive and uncalled for.

My discharge date came and went but they would not release our baby. They had excuse after excuse including his vital signs needed further monitoring to he needs to eat 40 cc of food instead of 30 cc every 3 hours. Finally they told us that he is experiencing NAS and that he will not be released to us until he is better, and that there is nothing we can do about it unless they call child protective services on us. Yesterday he was doing very well, but then this morning they told me he was inconsolible last night and that they were going to put him on methadone. WE ARE NOT OK WITH THIS!!!!! What rights do we have as parents as far as not letting them put our child on methadone, and removing him from the hospital? We feel very strongly that he needs to be at home right now, as he can receive the EXTRA TLC that he needs here with us. When we are at the hospital he does seem fussy, but we are the only ones who seem to be able to quiet him and he doesnt want to eat anything except for breast milk (I am finding it harder and harder to keep my supply up with a pump, and only having minimal time with the baby). Honestly, I do not know whether or not he is withdrawling, because alot of the things on the chart they are using can be normal newborn things that happen. For example he has a diaper rash which they say is a sign of NAS, but there have been several times in which I have arrived at the hospital and opened his diaper to find that he had dried poop on his butt so obviously they were not changing him often enough:( What in the world are we supposed to do?

Thanks in advance for any help, as I am at the end of my rope and dont know what else to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:40 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I can't even comprehend how you and your husband must be feeling right now. My heart just hurts for you....

I have a couple quick questions. Did your ObGyn know you were on Suboxone? Is so, have you spoke to him/her? If your Md supported your decision, it may help to have him talk to the neonatologist. I would also contact the doctor that prescribes the sub for you....have him talk to the doctors (or whoever will listen) about the medication, your care, and the fact that this medication does NOT interfere with your ability to be a responsible parent. He may also be able to talk to them about alternatives to methadone for the baby (assuming the baby actually is having NAS).

I would look into finding another pediatrician or neonatologist (call around to other hospitals) to come in and give you a second opinion on how the baby is doing. Try to find someone who is completely outside of this situation so that they aren't influenced by other people's opinions.

It is my understanding, and I'm not a lawyer, that the hospital cannot do anything to your child without your consent. In situations where doctors want to treat a child against parental wishes they have to obtain a court order that would allow then to do so. So, the can't give your child methadone without your consent unless a judge steps in. In fact, you can probably take your child out of the hospital against medical advice if it comes to that. I wouldn't advise this until you have the child evaluated and cleared by a doctor (you don't want to inadvertently make him worse).

Another option is to look into having your child transferred to another hospital and having him evaluated and cared for there.

I would also look into hiring a lawyer, do some research and maybe contact a few....I know, not a fun proposition. Even if you end up not needing one, it would be good to have the legwork done, so that you have one you can retain should it come to that. I'm not sure what state you live in, but many state bar associations run free hot-lines where you can call and get legal advice (my husband is a lawyer, and he volunteers for this periodically). They may be able to at least give you some general information about your rights as a parent. Do a search for your state's bar association.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything else to tell you right now. Maybe someone else onthe forum has some more concrete advice. I'll be thinking of your family, so let us know how things go.

Take Care,

Elizabeth

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:55 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Ok, so my baby is due May 11th the OB did clear the med, i have the note but you fuck it I am not taking it for the next 9 days and I am not saying shit to them, you see I should have stopped a long time ago and every one was like the CPS won't take your baby so you fuck this I am not going to go through that shit

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:08 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Kris,

What is happening to her is the EXCEPTION, not the norm. Look at all the other people on the forum who have had great outcomes being pregnant on Suboxone.

People have told you this over and over and over, but.....YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR AND DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!! Stop trying to be your own doctor....that's addict behavior (regardless of how you justify it).

If nothing else, think about your baby, and what happened to you last time you went off the Subutex....you need to keep that baby healthy and stop worrying about all the "what-ifs"....you can't possibly deal with all of them. The fact is, you're an addict and you used while pregnant....do you really think that stopping Suboxone a few days early is going to stop the hospital from fucking you over if that is there intention (which it isn't)? My point is, stopping your Suboxone does nothing to reduce the chance that you MAY (slight chance) have issues after the baby is born.

Also, how will your Ob react if you go into early labor because you disregarded his orders and did your own thing? Do you think that will look good?Does it make you look committed to your sobriety?

Calm down , take a deep breath, and think this out.....

Elizabeth

****Also, we may want to move this thread (or you can just start another one about this concern) so that we can help StudentRN here....I just don't want her thread to inadvertently get hijacked. ***

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First off, CALM DOWN Sweetie. I went through almost the same thing and you will be able to take your baby home soon. Your baby would have gone to NICU because of you taking the subutex. They are required to monitor a baby on that drug for a minimum of 72 hours. So, he would have stayed there for four days anyway.
Some nurses are judgmental and very rude however, try to just ignore them. It is a relatively new drug and what they are doing is rating him using Finnegan Scoring chart. Every four hours, they use the chart. Here is a link:

http://img.medscape.com/pi/emed/ckb/ped ... 704221.jpg

The thing is, some things are very subjective: like excessive sucking, etc. So be nice to the NICU nurses, they are the ones who score him, and talk to the head NICU pediatrician. She will tell you how long he has to stay after having so many low scores. It is up to her whether if he scores three eights, to put him on methadone. We went through the same thing, luckily he was fine. So just try to stay calm, and ask the staff to post his scores so you can see them. Be as involved as possible. I didn't know diaper rash was on the scoring list-ask why they are using a different system. As long as he is in NICU, they will medicate him because he is hospital care.
Are you at Upper Chesapeake? That's where I was -horrible. I tested positive for benzo's on urine test and immediately requested a blood test. I never took anything but subutex and zoloft, and the zoloft caused a false positive. I didn't get the results back until two weeks later, child protective services where notified, had to come to my house, BUT the worst thing was that they wouldn't let me breast feed. Even though I had an emergency C-Section and they gave me some type of benzo while they were doing the epidural because I started having a panic attack. They would have let breast feed after that, but not because of a flase urine test. It was horriible. I thought CPS got involved cause of the subutex, but it was benzo's the urine test. The case was closed as soon as I got my blood tests back, BUT It was terrible.
THIS LINK IS AWESOME:
http://speciosum.curtin.edu.au/nas/Neon ... eSheet.pdf
Just try to stay calm and talk to the head of NICU about how long you have to wait after his scores are normal, and your concerns that he is being rated too high sometimes.NICU nurses told me they never had a baby monitored for NAS for Subutex before, so I think that they kinda treat it like meth withdraw. And you should be able to visit anytime to feed, except I think like an hour a day, they had a meeting.

Let me know how it goes-much love
Katie

PS Make sure to ask for a copy of all his scores to be posted for you everytime...It helps to be there if it quiets him and you can see exactly what the nurse rated him and why

[/size]

Post subject: To Kris
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Please don't stop taking the subutex. I could be fatal to your baby. CPS cannot get involved for SUBUTEX. Bottom line.
Your baby will be in NICU for 72 hours, but mine was fine and didn't have any withdraw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry for what you and your husband are going through. I can only imagine. And I'm sorry I don't have anything concrete to offer because I've never been pregnant and know nothing about such a situation, but I wanted to offer my support.

Do take lots of deep breaths and do spend as much time with the baby as you can. Print out the chart katie offered and go to the link she posted. Get as much knowledge as you can. She offered great advice and personal experience.

I know it must be scary as hell and of course you're insulted and offended. Hang in there and please let us know how all three of you are doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My Ob-GYN did know about the Subutex. I had my prenatal care at a clinic that is attached to the hospital, so they work hand in hand. I detoxed at the same hospital where I gave birth, so they knew about the situation right from the get-go. I was originally put on methadone while in detox, but I ended up leaving against medical advice because they accidently gave me klonopin instead of clonidine (something they routinely give to patients in detox to help with anxiety/sleep) so they set me back in getting out of the hospital and being able to get into the methadone program. I guess you have to test clean of benzo's to be accepted into the methadone clinic, so I left detox because I could not afford to take anymore days off to be at the hospital as I was a full time student and mom. Besides that, they didnt even know that they had made the mistake, and came into my room one morning accusing me and yelling at me about why there were benzo's in my urine and how I had no right to sneek drugs into the hospital. When they realized the mistake, they simply told me that it would take some time to get me out of the hospital, as I would not be accepted as things were. Luckily, because I left detox against medical advice, and because our insurance only allows one detox per pregnancy, my doctor had no choice but to put me on subutex, something he had not wanted to do because methadone is the protocol treatment for pregnant opiate addicts. So I feel very fortunate that things turned out the way that they did, as I knew little about methadone at the time and now KNOW that I would have been much worse off had I been put on methadone.

So YES my Ob-Gyn DID know about the Subutex. My doctor who prescribed it was very comfortable in doing so, and worked with me throughout the pregnancy. So its not like I was getting sub off of the streets and illegally taking it. My Ob-Gyn told me that she PREFERS patients to be on subutex instead of methadone, as methadone is a very heavy hitter and babies have a much harder time when they are born. She told me my chances of having a baby with NAS was about 15%.
Part of me wishes that I was NOT so HONEST with the clinic, but I felt as if I was doing the right thing. I guess I still feel like I did the right thing, I just wish this was not happening.

I have thought about having the baby transferred to the childrens hospital, and have thought about having second opinions and all that but the staff at the hospital almost refuses to work with us, and we just dont know how to go about getting things moving.

The baby is no longer in the NICU. He was moved up to the regular nursery two days ago. He originally went to the NICU because of complications, not because of the subutex. I had an epidural and so I had a urinary catheter which started bothering me so they came in and increased the epidural. Right after it kicked in, he started having variable decelerations and it was time to push but I could barely even move my hands let alone push AT ALL. It was very scary and got pretty ugly QUICKLY. Once he was born, he was floppy and blue with a cord around his neck. After he got to the NICU, they found out he had a pleural effusion so he got a chest tube and stayed in the NICU. He is doing really well now, aside from showing signs of NAS. As far as the diaper rash thing, they consider the rash as skin breakdown which is what is on the chart. There is not "diaper rash" on the chart. Sorry about that confusion. The chart they are using IS the one that you mentioned, and they do assess him every few hours like you said.

I mostly just want to know at which point I can step in and say NO. Even if he DOES score three 8's I am NOT OK with methadone. Because he was in the NICU and because of the complications I did not want to just take him out of the hospital, but I want to know how long they are planning to let this go on, and when the baby can come home :cry: Are we going to get arrested if we take the baby out of the hospital :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know nothing about this topic but I feel for you and your husband and am confident you will make it through this WITH the baby. I also know nothing about babies but I wouldn't think diaper rash is the same thing as skin breakdown. I would also think that a poor new infant with a chest tube MIGHT BE A LITTLE EFFING CRANKY EH? I know I would be.

I agree with the advice already given to speak to someone in charge. I would calmly tell them that you are feeling very out of control with the situation and want to be more involved. I would tell them you are very concerned about the methadone and would like to be present for the evaluations and also have another party present for the evaluations in order to ensure the child is being scored properly. Clearly you don't want things to be more difficult for the baby if they don't have to be. I would ask about this diaper rash thing and mention the dried poop also and indicate this is one of your concerns. I would just make it clear you want to work with them but clearly putting the baby on methadone is serious and you want to make sure this is only done if absolutely necessary and that you would want to feel it is necessary. Without your questions being answered you won't feel comfortable with it. Remind them somehow, and nicely, that you have followed all of your doctor's orders and instructions throughout your pregnancy.

This is just CRAP! I have run into some real shitty and nasty nurses in my time and they can make life so damn miserable. The good ones make life wonderful, but the bad ones are really bad. I am so sorry you are going through this.

KRIS........you need to do what your doctor tells you and I really wish you would think FIRST of the baby and FIRST and FOREMOST it isn't good for the baby for you to jump off the subutex. I understand how concerned you are about the baby being taken away, but your behavior PRIOR to the birth is causing and will cause you worse problems. Constantly changing your subutex dose and jumping off of it has got to be tormenting that poor baby. Your anxiety gets WAY too bad as is let alone jumping off again. STOP IT!

Both of you take care of yourselves!

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

From what I understand ( I am on a parenting forum with other moms who are on subs) it is the norm to give babies Methadone to wean them off if they are having withdrawls. Lots of moms go through this, many nurses have a chip on their shoulder and treat you like shit. Don't let them. But, do talk to the docs (not the nurses) about the methadone. You don't want your baby to withdrawal in my opinion it is best to put your baby on methadone, they wouldn't do anything to hurt your baby not matter their feelings about you. Imagine how you feel and then think about the baby. Like i sad, demand to speak with a dr and and NOT the nurses so you can hear exactly what a dr thinks. Contact your OB and sub dr and see if they can get involved in anyway in regards to how you are being treated. Good luck and keep us posted. Just remember, all sub patients go through social workers and interviews and drug tests, just stay calm through everything and it will be over before you know it and you will have your baby.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:55 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hello there StudentRN ,
First unfortunately I don't have any specific information for you... I have never been thru anything like what you are going thru!!!! I just want to wish you & your Family the best.. I would suggest getting a lawyer or Health care advocate of some kind involved just so you find out what your rights are under your states law??? From the outside looking In it sounds like you are being treated like a Second class citizen.....( That Sucks) Easy for me to say But , I would get some Second & Third Opinions regarding Your Baby's health.... Remember to take care of yourself during this stressful time!! My prayers are with you & your Family during this difficult time..

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:41 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

This whole thing is shity. You know I am only dosing 2mg. How much were you on? I just as so damn scared because I don't want to go through this at all. I mean this really sucks and if I had to deal with this, it would be horrible for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Kris, all babies born to moms on sub will need to be in the NICU and kept a little longer to monitor for w/d. You will get visits from social workers and asked questions as well while in the hospital, it's protocol. I know a mom who just went through all of that. But, advice from her to other moms is just to be honest and cooperative with everyone and patient and once your baby is going to be ok, it will be sent home with you. Just do everything and stick through it and everything will be fine.

It's such a shame how some nurses treat patients. They really should be educated on subs and how to treat patients on subs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:00 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

sorry i didn't mean to jump in on your post. I will post another thread with my worries. i hope that your baby comes home soon. But can I ask how much you were on?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey StudentRN…how are you doing today? How is the baby doing? Any changes?

If your Ob knew you were on the Subutex, and supported this decision, then I would think he would willing to help you out. Have you spoke to him? I come from medical family (Dad was an ObGyn and Mom an RN), and I can tell you that sometimes doctors communicate better with other doctors than with us “regular” mortals :roll: . So, I still think it would be helpful to have your ObGyn or Sub doctor talk to the Neonatologist in charge of your son’s care. Your doctor may be a good advocate for you, and may be able to get some information from the neonatologist (what the treatment plan is, how long they are expecting to keep him, and just what they are thinking at this time).

I really think that you need to sit down and have a frank discussion with the neonatonligist….sooner rather than later. It may be helpful to have one of your doctors (Ob or sub) present at the meeting, if that is at all possible. To do this, tell the RN (not the tech…talk to the NURSE…you’re an RN student, you know the difference :wink: ) who is assigned to your baby that you want to talk to the doctor. Most doctors make rounds AT LEAST once a day….if all else fails, figure out when this is and intercept him and talk to him then.

If the nurse give you any shit, or dawdles…..tell her you want to speak to the nurse manager (he or she is in charge of all the nurses, and coordinates patient care issues….but you probably already know this :) ). In fact, it may be a good idea to talk to the nurse manager anyway….be really nice to her and get her on your side. She will be an invaluable advocate and may be able to dial down the attitudes of the nurses and help you communicate with your son’s doctors.

I want to reiterate what I said before….you are this baby’s parents, and it is YOUR decision what happens to him. The hospital cannot just circumvent your parental rights….the only way to do this is to get a court order. If there is no court order, and your parental rights haven’t been terminated or suspended….you get to make the decisions. Theoretically, you can try to sign the baby our against medical advice….but that should be an absolute last resort, and that may be challenged by the hospital….I’m not sure about how this works when children are involved. I agree with your decision not to just remove the baby without knowing his full conditions.

I don’t know much about NAS, so I did some research and found an interesting article that you might want to read for information. This is the abstract:

Neonates born to opioid-maintained mothers are at risk of developing neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS), which often requires pharmacological treatment. This study examined the effect of opioid maintenance treatment on the incidence and timing of NAS, and compared two different NAS treatments (phenobarbital versus morphine hydrochloride).
Fifty-three neonates born to opioid-maintained mothers were included in this study. The mothers received methadone (n = 22), slow-release oral morphine (n = 17) or buprenorphine (n = 14) throughout pregnancy. Irrespective of maintenance treatment, all neonates showed APGAR scores comparable to infants of non-opioid dependent mothers. No difference was found between the three maintenance groups regarding neonatal weight, length or head circumference. Sixty percent (n = 32) of neonates required treatment for NAS [68% in the methadone-maintained group (n = 15), 82% in the morphine-maintained group (n = 14), and 21% in the buprenorphine-maintained group (n = 3)]. The mean duration from birth to requirement of NAS treatment was 33 h for the morphine-maintained group, 34 h for the buprenorphine-maintained group and 58 h for the methadone-maintained group.
In neonates requiring NAS treatment, those receiving morphine required a significantly shorter mean duration of treatment (9.9 days) versus those treated with phenobarbital (17.7 days). Results suggest that morphine hydrochloride is preferable for neonates suffering NAS due to opioid withdrawal.
Management of neonatal abstinence syndrome in neonates born to opioid maintained women Nina Ebnera, Klaudia Rohrmeisterb, Bernadette Winklbaura, Andjela Baewerta, Reinhold Jagschc, Alexandra Peternella, Kenneth Thaua and Gabriele Fischera Drug and Alcohol Dependence
Volume 87, Issues 2-3, 16 March 2007, Pages 131-138

I couldn’t get the full text of the article (at least not without paying). But, if you’re a nursing student, you may have access to a library where you can get this article for free from their database (the citation is above). It looks like the article may give you some information on different ways to treat NAS….and medical people love statistic and peer reviewed articles. Knowledge is Power!!

Sorry this was so long….I wanted to include the text of the abstract so you didn’t have to hunt for it….you’re probably a little busy right now.
Keep us updated.

Subs Not Drugs!!!

- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

OK so heres the update:

We went to the hopital today and asked to speak to the doctor about discharging the baby. She told us it would be a couple more days (just like they tell us everyday). We told her that we did not agree with alot of the things on the NAS chart, and that we really wanted to take the baby home TODAY. So she said she would talk to the other doc and get back to us. So we waited and waited and she never came back. Finally we told the nurse to page her and when she called back she said they would still NOT RELEASE THE BABY. So at that point we told the nurse that we were taking him anyway against medical addvice so she called the social worker to come and talk to us. The social worker was not helpful at all, and ignored EVERYTHING we said and just kept saying "uhh huh" to every valid point we made. I asked her if there was any paper I would need to sign in order to remove our baby AMA and she said that it didnt matter bc they COULDNT let us remove the baby AMA bc the baby tested positive for opiates. I went CRAZY bc she accused me of being on opiates which is just not possible. She said I tested negative for opiates, but that it didnt mean anything bc the drugs would leave my system before before they would leave the baby's. What happened was when the baby needed a chest tube, the gave him a mega dose of morphine to knock him out. They didnt even do his drug test until the next day. SO OF COURSE he would test positive for opiates, and I didnt bc I DIDNT TAKE ANY OPIATES...HE DID. I on the other hand I tested positive for benzo's bc I am prescribed them by my doctor for anxiety but I rarely ever take them unless its absolutely necessary. The baby DID NOT test positive for benzo's. So basically, they would not listen to a thing we said, and treated us like a couple of no-good low-life junkies. She also told us that childrens services had ALREADY been notified and that they were already involved, so we were not even allowed to take the baby AMA unless we wanted to get into MAJOR TROUBLE. So, really we have NO RIGHTS at this moment. The woman from childrens services is coming to our house tomarrow so hopefully we can at least get that part taken care of so that if we choose, we can have the baby moved to a different hospital if need be. I also called my sub doc, so that he can fax all of my info over to childrens services, and prove to them that I have not taken any opiates since October of 2009, and that all of my random drug screens in that time were negative. We are also going to try and hire a lawyer, so that they can advise us about what we need to do since we know NOTHING about the legal part of this. I just cant believe that they would not realize that he tested positive for opiates because he was given morphine the day before. Especially sice I tested NEGATIVE. They even offered me oxycodone while I was on the post partum floor after the baby was born, and I proudly declined it.

I absolutely HATED leaving him there tonight. I cant sleep at night bc I am so anxious about all of this and bc I am so worried about our baby. He had a pretty traumatic beginning, and if anything, he really needs to be with us right now so that he can bond with everyone and know that he is not alone in this world while all of these crappy things are happeneing to him. Today after we swaddled him up and walked to the door of the nursery, he rotated his head as far as he could and opeded his eyes and looked at us like where are you going? He NEVER hardly opens his eyes so it just broke my heart. He does NOT deserve this. We asked the social worked WHEN his tox test was done, and she didnt know the answer. We could both tell by the way she answered us that she did not know what to say, and that she did not want to admit it bc she had just treated us like no good pieces of crap, and she didnt want to look bad bc she was wrong. There is absoluely no way that he could have had the drug screen before he got the morphine though bc he got the morphine right after birth bc he was RUSHED to the NICU. When a social worker came into my room the day after the birth, she told me they were GOING to drug test the baby, so I know they did not test him until AFTER he had been given the morphine. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:24 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hello Again StudentRN,
OMG I feel for you and your Husband... If everything has gone down the way you have told it (I have no reason to doubt you) I would think that the Hospital could be in a World of Sh*&%T!!!! I think you are doing the right thing by getting a Lawyer involved ASAP. It sounds like to me the Hospital has kidnapped your Baby without cause????? I can't believe they can make all these decision's for YOUR BABY without involving you??? Know that we are pulling for you and hope you and your Baby are re-united SOON!!!!!!!! It's probably the last thing on your mind But, Try to take care of yourself..... You need to be strong during this crazy time...... Please keep posting when you have time!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:07 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry you guys are dealing with this. Def. get a lawyer involved ASAP. There are also patient advocates at the hospital, better yet get one through your health insurance company. But yeah, a lawyer at this point would be a good idea. I am so mad for you. I am so upset they are treating you like this. Try to stay calm with the social workers and just go through the motions so you can get your baby ASAP. Please keep us posted. Remember this will not last forever, you will have your baby soon. God bless! ((((HUGS))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:08 am 
Hi StudentRN. I feel for you and I'm sorry for everything you're going through. I work as a child advocate for children in child protection cases, although I've never dealth with a neo-natal case. The one thing I can add is that parental rights ARE paramount and if CPS isn't taking custody of the child (which would have to be approved by a judge) then you still have the ability to make decisions for your child. Unfortunately, CPS deals with a lot of poor, uneducated people who don't know their rights and can't afford a lawyer, and they do push them around at times. I'm really glad you're getting a lawyer because I really feel that they are overstepping their bounds. The minute your lawyer contacts them, suddenly their attitude will change. I think it's horrible the way they treat people who are doing the right thing and seeking recovery. I think all of us have been at the receiving end of that attitude at one time or another - so take comfort in all of us out here who are pulling for you.
I love that your posts end with, breathe in, breathe out. It's so important. You have a beautiful new baby and you have your recovery on Sub. I know it must be hell now, but soon you will have your baby home with you, and you and he will both be starting a new life.
Bless you,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am so sorry all of you are going through this. I wish I had concrete advise or words of wisdom to provide, but I don't. I can only offer support and empathy. I think you are doing all the right things, especially in getting a lawyer and involving your sub doctor. I know it's hard but try to hang in there and know we're here for you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.