It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hatmaker
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I understand I need to be careful,and I will not go into severe wd but honestly,I just want to be off,my husband and everyone in my life hate that I take it. Educated people ,yes,but still they will NEVER understand that the sub is/was better than what I was doing two years ago. I'm tired of the looks and the stigma. You know :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:53 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Tiff,

Yes, actually I DO KNOW how it feels, to be judged...possibly even looked down on, for being on Sub (especially while I was pregnant). My husband is in the medical field, well, both of us actually. He has a very STRONG ANTI-MEDICTION type of sentiment. It took ALOT of researching.....but even HE, finally agreed that remaining ON the Sub while pregnant, was the best decision.

Look, I know it can be embarrassing to admit that your taking a very strong opiate (although partial-agonist) mediction. I had so much fear when I was pregnant. I was so scared that my baby would have NAS, and that he'd hafta stay in the hospital to be treated with/weaned off of Methadone, or Morphine.
I was so nervous about what everyone would think. My side of the family COMPLETELY supports me being on Sub maintainance. My husband's family, and all of his (Lawer and Doctor friends) have NO IDEA about me being on Sub. I started to feel so ashamed, that if ANYTHING were wrong with my baby......I'd be to blame, and that my husband would never be able to forgive me for it.

Truth is Tiff.......NONE OF THAT EVER HAPPENED!! And, I do realize, Im one of the fortunate ones.....who's baby was born healthy. But, you HAFTA tell yourself that your doing whats BEST for you and your child. FUCK WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS, ITS NONE OF THEY'RE DAMN BUSINESS!!

I was such an advocate for myself when I was pregnant, and especially the day I gave birth (handing over an entire stack of printouts about Sub to my Anest, befor my C-Section) My husband actually grew to understand and respect my Sub therapy so much more, because of this.

And, if things had been different......and our baby WOULD HAVE had to stay at the hospital, and be treated for NAS.....well, then we would've just delt WITH THAT. Whats better......being ON SUB, and keeping your disease of addiction in remission.....or GETTING OFF, and possibly harming you/your fetus while doing so.....AND then having to worry about possibly relapsing later.
Im not stating getting off the Sub would DEFINITELY have a negative consequence.....but its quite risky. Do you have any outside support set up to help you with future triggers/cravings?

Most women are full of emotions and raging hormones while pregnant. And after you have your baby, your gonna be so tired and stressed (at least for those first few months).....trust me, your GONNA NEED something in place to help you with your addiction...whether that be Sub, meetings,or seeing a therapist.

STAYING IN RECOVERY IS HARD WORK! Please think about ALL of this before you decide what your gonna do. And, I hope you don't think Im being harsh.....I've just been through this myself, suffered through all of the same thoughts/feelings that you are......i just want you to make a WELL INFORMED decision......AND ENJOY YOUR PREGNANCY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:05 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Wow this thread could be movie. Ubeleivanle story. I have a baby I'm a man so my sub use did nothing to affect my fiances pregnancy but man I would be a deadbeat dad without it that's for sure.RN I'm so glad your baby is home and doing well, and for any other women who are pregnant please take everyones advice and get real answers from real doctors, the internet is full of so much crap.I just woke my son up out of a sound sleep to give him a hug, he was pissed but I had to. I hope your kids go to Harvard on that hospitals tab.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ene579 wrote:
I can't even comprehend how you and your husband must be feeling right now. My heart just hurts for you....

I have a couple quick questions. Did your ObGyn know you were on Suboxone? Is so, have you spoke to him/her? If your Md supported your decision, it may help to have him talk to the neonatologist. I would also contact the doctor that prescribes the sub for you....have him talk to the doctors (or whoever will listen) about the medication, your care, and the fact that this medication does NOT interfere with your ability to be a responsible parent. He may also be able to talk to them about alternatives to methadone for the baby (assuming the baby actually is having NAS).

I would look into finding another pediatrician or neonatologist (call around to other hospitals) to come in and give you a second opinion on how the baby is doing. Try to find someone who is completely outside of this situation so that they aren't influenced by other people's opinions.

It is my understanding, and I'm not a lawyer, that the hospital cannot do anything to your child without your consent. In situations where doctors want to treat a child against parental wishes they have to obtain a court order that would allow then to do so. So, the can't give your child methadone without your consent unless a judge steps in. In fact, you can probably take your child out of the hospital against medical advice if it comes to that. I wouldn't advise this until you have the child evaluated and cleared by a doctor (you don't want to inadvertently make him worse).

Another option is to look into having your child transferred to another hospital and having him evaluated and cared for there.

I would also look into hiring a lawyer, do some research and maybe contact a few....I know, not a fun proposition. Even if you end up not needing one, it would be good to have the legwork done, so that you have one you can retain should it come to that. I'm not sure what state you live in, but many state bar associations run free hot-lines where you can call and get legal advice (my husband is a lawyer, and he volunteers for this periodically). They may be able to at least give you some general information about your rights as a parent. Do a search for your state's bar association.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything else to tell you right now. Maybe someone else onthe forum has some more concrete advice. I'll be thinking of your family, so let us know how things go.

Take Care,

Elizabeth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This just happened to us except I was using a low dose of percocets unprescribed. They put our son on methadone saying he had NAS. They only knew about the percs because I admitted it after labor. The score system is ridiculous and they over exaggerate everything. While in the hospital, I only ever heard my son cry twice the three weeks he was there. They would say he had diarrhea and had to score him, but he'd poop while we were there and it would be far from diarrhea. He ate just fine. Didn't spit up. He has gained two pounds and has only been out of the hospital for two weeks. They would score him when we woke him up to visit with him and everything under the son. They started him on methadone without our knowledge and didn't tell us for three days after they stopped him on it. And most of the symptoms ARE common symptoms for newborns to have. Yawning? .. really? Excessive yawning like adult withdrawls, yes. But a couple a day? Sorry, just wanted to add input from someone who just went through something similar. I don't see why they are trying to get cps involved with you if you had a script. Cps told me they wouldn't have been involved if I had just went to treatment and got subs, but I was too scared. Big mistake on my part.