It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Woo Hoo!
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yay! I'm so happy for you! And I'm incredibly impressed with the way you held it together throughout this whole mess. I can't even imagine how you must have felt being so powerless over the situation...I'm so happy for you that you have your baby at home where you can start making up for lost time.

If I were you, I would at least talk to a lawyer. I have know idea if what the hospital did was illegal, but I know for a fact that the way they treated you was WRONG. You were treated disrespectfully. I think you were discriminated against because of your illness, and that is messed up. The way they treated you is exactly why so many people lie to their doctors and why addicted women don't seek prenatal care - because they know they will be stigmatized.

Those doctors, nurses, and administrators need to know that it is NOT OK to treat mothers the way they treated you. Maybe if you get a lawyer you could force them to change the hospital protocol in some way. Maybe they would be forced to apologize. I don't know. Maybe it would be worth it, maybe not. I guess it depends on how much time and energy you have to put toward trying to make something happen. Are you going to look into whatever the process is for making a formal complaint?

I do know that it was women speaking up and demanding our rights that has basically forced hospitals to treat laboring mothers better than they used to in the past (it's not perfect, but it's a far cry from the days of being strapped to the bed, no dad's allowed, etc). So I hope you do speak up. Maybe it will make it better for the next mom on suboxone to deliver there.

You are awesome, amazing and strong. Happy mothers day!!!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Great News.....
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:54 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi StudentRN,
I have already posted my feelings on this whole mess... So I just wanted to jump in and wish you A Belated:

:D HAPPY MOTHERS DAY !!!!!!!!!! :D

God Bless
TW

Post subject: FINALLY!!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:28 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

[font=Arial Black]YEA!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!![/font]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I really am happy for you!!! I can't even imagine how relieved you must feel....and how wonderful it must be to finally have your baby at home, where he belongs. I think you're right....he will thrive with his family, and soon will be a happy, round baby. Please keep us updated on his progeress, if you have time.

I too agree with DOQ....you really should look into some sort of legal action against this hospital to prevent them from doing this again. Those recovering addicts who have not had babies yet (myself included) will definitely benefit from this. As DOQ said, things are better because women spoke up....and the authorities had to listen. My father was an ObGyn, and he told pretty scary stories about childbirth conditions, just 40 years ago.

Also, and this is really important....addicts are TERRIFIED to tell our doctors the truth. We are afraid of judgement, discrimination, and ultimately punishment (being denied pain meds, having our babied taken away, etc) because of out PAST mistakes. I have worked with pregnant homeless teens who REFUSED to seek prenatal care, even after we got them into rehab or on methadone, because they were convinced that the doctors would lie to them during the pregnancy, and take their baby after the delivery. We have seen women on this forum with the same fears. It has got to end. We have a disease, we sought treatment, and we are working EVERY DAY to stay sober....we don't deserve this kind of treatment.

I am not trying to make you into some sort of social activist, and you absolutely SHOULD NOT feel guilty if you don't have the time to do any of this. You have been hurt, and you deserve time to heal and enjoy your baby. But, if you have time, please consider doing something. If you don't have time to contact a lawyer, please at least consider filing a complaint with JHACO (the joint hospital accreditation committee) http://www.jointcommission.org/. You can file a complaint online. If nothing else, hospitals HATE JHACO....it will annoy the HELL out of them. They also may be able to do something about this in the future. You can also file a grievance with the medical board and licensing board, if there was a particular doctor who mistreated you.

But, for now, relax and enjoy your baby....I am so relieved knowing he is at home. :)

Elizabeth [b]

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations on getting your baby home! I am thrilled that this turned out the way it did.

Now, I'm just going to play "devil's advocate" here for a minute:

I'm not sure you have much of a case. The hospital erred on the side of caution, but ultimately, they let you take your baby home. It's going to be difficult to support a case for malpractice, or anything else for that matter.

That's just THIS layperson's opinion. I'm not a lawyer.

But personally, I'd probably just drop the whole thing and move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations, StudentRN and family!

I'm so happy that your entire family is now home where they belong. You showed grace in such adversity and you should be proud of your strength. I definitely could not have handled it so well.

As for follow-through, if I were me I would file a formal complaint with the hospital as well as the Joint Commission that was mentioned above. That might prevent the next sub patient from going through what you went through. Just my two cents.

Enjoy your new son and again, congratulations!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

YAY! :D :D :D :D :D Happy Mother's Day mama! Im so happy for you!

I would at least make sure you file a formal complaint against the hospital. I would also still message Dr. J and maybe you can ask him if you have a case. Honestly I don't know. But def. file a formal complaint. They def. treated you like shit, that's for sure.

Im so happy for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

By the way, I thought I should clarify my post above: I would also file the complaints against the hospital, I was referring to filing a "law suit" against the hospital. I don't think you'd win any damages in this case and you'd just stress yourself out having to relive the entire thing for the next year or so while an attorney tries to turn it into a payday.

But I'd complain about the way you were treated to anyone who will listen and file formal complaints with anyone possible.

If enough people like us (suboxone patients) push the right buttons, this kind of thing will happen less and less frequently everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am outraged and horrified at this story. I have no advice. I am just so sorry this is happening to you. I am currently 26 weeks pregnant and on suboxne and your story has made me second guess telling my OB that I take suboxone. I cant believe they could do this to you when obviously you have been testing clean on all drug tests. This is a huge violation of your rights as parents. I hope things work out. Please keep us updated.

I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats to you and your family. I want you to seriously think about what I am about to say! This is a situation that warrants investigation by an attorney. If you let it go, you run the risk of it happening to many other people. It was unjust and unfair and may change the way these things are handled for sub patients in the future. You would be doing a wonderful thing for your fellow man by pursuing the matter further. No one should have to go through this when they have taken steps to be a better parent!

Post subject: Sorry- ...
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry if my post was harsh, i just it's just I have major anxiety and every bit of research I did suggested there was an extremely high risk for birth defects. I stopped taking my xanax entirely because of what I read and researched, but everyone is right, I didn't mean to come down on you..I just thought your story had changed...so my deepest apologies! And I am sooo happy the baby is home. And don't ever worry about the sub's effecting his development, my son is perfect, no problems...in my opinion he is a genius!

So CONGRATULATIONS and belated Happy mother's day.

Katie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:19 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey katie....it's good to hear from you again! I'm sure you didn't intend for your comments to sound mean, and they were motivated by geniune concern. Your other comments to StudentRN (and Kris too) were helpful and positive, so it was a surprise to read the other post. But, given your current situation (new baby and all the issues you had surrounding the birth), and the information you found during your research, I can see where you would be concerned and react the way you did.

You obviously are a great Mom, concerned enough about your baby's health to sacrifice your own comfort. It's great to have a mother on the forum that has been pregnant while on Subutex and has given birth to a happy, healthy baby. You, and now StudentRN, are an invaluable resource to all the expectant mothers here.

I also want to say that I hope my post wasn't overly mean either, and I hope we can all just start over and continue on with no hard feelings.

Elizabeth

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject: Welcome Katie.....
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:21 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Katie,
I don't want to Hi-Jack this thread I just want to add to what Elizabeth has said! Please feel free to jump in about any experience you may have ... You and other Mom's that have been through this can be so Helpful to Expecting Mothers that are in the beginning stages of their pregnancy and on medication.....
I can offer my support But, thats about it.... There is not much a 50 y.o. Male can interject about being Pregnant... LOL! Anyways I hope we can ALL agree to help one another here because thats what I think the Forum is all about. Just my wanted to get my .02 cents out there!!! I wish continued success to everybody out here in Recovery... Take Care.

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank everyone for all of the support that you provided to me and my family during this nightmare. The baby is doing great:) He has been gaining about a pound a week since he has came home, which makes us very happy. I am so greatful for my baby, and everything that he has done for my sobriety. Before I had him I did not think I was ready to parent anonther child, but as soon as I saw that little guy for the first time everything changed, and I no longer cared about feeling depressed, anxious, or anything else that has come along with getting sober. After he was born the doctors told me he had an enlarged heart and a hole in his lung and I truly felt like we were going to lose him. After that news I didnt know what to do and after crying my eyes out I started making my way down to the NICU before the epidural had worn off. It was weird because after hearing the bad news, I felt like I needed to do SOMETHING but I didnt know WHAT to do so I figured the only thing I COULD do was be by his side. He has changed EVERYTHING for me and my life.

My husband and I have passed the idea around to each other about what we should do as far as he hospital is concerned. In an earlier post someone said something along the lines of "This is why addicts are scared to be honest with doctors, and why they dont get prenatal care." I got alot out of that because it is SO true. Now I feel like I am almost obligated to do SOMETHING so that this does not happen in the future. I will try to find the time to write out a detailed list of ALL of the BS that happened to us while in the hospital because it was bad all around, not just the part about not taking the baby home. Even if its not a lawsuit, I feel like SOMETHING should happen. I just dont know yet what would be the best plan of action as far as who to go to that would actually be able to MAKE a difference. If the hospital just gets a slap on the wrist I dont really see the need to waist my time or anyone elses.

Post subject: How much
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You may have already posted this but I am prggo as well. So I was wondering how much sub you were taking. I am down to 2 or 3 a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Subbymommy -

Could you provide some clarification? Are you on 2 or 3 pills a day or 2 or 3 mg a day? How long have you been on it? How pregnant ("preggo") are you - as in how far along? Have you read Dr Junig's blog post about "Withdrawals in newborns, lay off the guilt trip" yet? It's in his TalkZone blog from around February of this year I think. If you haven't seen it I would highly recommend that you read it. You will get a great deal of information from that one blog post regarding a situation such as yours.

Post subject: Re: Sorry- ...
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

katie110 wrote:
Sorry if my post was harsh, i just it's just I have major anxiety and every bit of research I did suggested there was an extremely high risk for birth defects. I stopped taking my xanax entirely because of what I read and researched, but everyone is right, I didn't mean to come down on you..I just thought your story had changed...so my deepest apologies! And I am sooo happy the baby is home. And don't ever worry about the sub's effecting his development, my son is perfect, no problems...in my opinion he is a genius!

So CONGRATULATIONS and belated Happy mother's day.

Katie

Thanks, Katie :wink: I can see how you would be upset with me about the benzo's. Everything you said about the benzo use during pregnancy is true. My doctor and I did know the risks, and he told me before I was even preggers to NOT get preggers. Unfortunately we had an accident one night so we used Plan B but it didnt work so we had to go with Plan C (HAVING A BABY :lol: ). I freaked out completely when I found out I was pregnant, and was literally screaming and crying saying I was going to kill my baby :cry: So my doctor and I got together and layed our medical books on his desk and started researching everything we could find that could arm us with knowledge. He started lowering my dose, and from what we read, most damage happens when you are taking doses that are higher such as 3-4 mgs/day. Plus we knew about the risk of miscarriage that comes with withdrawal. He said if it wasnt for that risk, he would take my dose down like a dress on prom night :lol: He WAS going to pull me off of the Klon in the beginning though bc he wanted me to take methadone, and he said I couldnt do that if I was taking benzo's. After I left detox, though, he did not pull me off of the Klonpin bc he was allowed to prescribe me Sub and still give me Klonopin as well.

I can see how you would think differently about me after reading my posts. My story is long, and I have left out A LOT of details. When I was in detox, I WAS prescribed Klonopin, but I had already taken myself off of it bc my doctor had told me that I would not be able to get into the methadone program if I was taking benzo's. At that point he had lowered me down to .25 mgs twice daily, and I stopped taking them BEFORE he had stopped prescribing them bc I entered detox BEFORE I saw him again, and I already knew I was going to have to get off of them bc he told me already. So when the hospital gave me Konopin instead of Clonodine, it set me back bc I would have tested neg for it if they had NOT given it to me. So I can see how this would confuse you, and I would have felt the same way in the past when I would look at a patients chart and see her doing class C and D drugs while pregnant without a care in the world. Sorry about that, but I was looking back through the posts and saw that I did not really clear about what I wrote.

Post subject: I'm getting off sub
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After reading this,at 12 weeks now.I'm getting off sub. I am not dealing with CPS. I'd rather suffer wd from suboxone. I will give it a month , after 16 weeks no matter what.I'm done with sub,until it's born. I will taper this month fast. I'm past the miscarriage phase. I will be careful but I would rather have some discomfort rather than worry about nurses and hospital personal looking at me like a bad mother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not to be rude or bitchy, but just because you're past the first trimester where the risk of miscarriage is the highest, doesn't mean the risk is gone. If you're on suboxone legitimately - as in through a doctor - then CPS has no reason to get involved. They only get involved when there are illegal substances in the picture. Please think about the risks to your fetus. You're likely making an emotional decision based on someone else's experience that's completely different from your situation. Did you read any of Dr. J's blog posts about pregnancy and suboxone/addiction? Here is a link to some of his posts: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/category/pregnancy/

Please gather some more information before making a hasty decision, for the sake of your baby.

Post subject: Re: I'm getting off sub
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tiffannsoli30 wrote:
After reading this,at 12 weeks now.I'm getting off sub. I am not dealing with CPS. I'd rather suffer wd from suboxone. I will give it a month , after 16 weeks no matter what.I'm done with sub,until it's born. I will taper this month fast. I'm past the miscarriage phase. I will be careful but I would rather have some discomfort rather than worry about nurses and hospital personal looking at me like a bad mother.

Hang on, because I know you're scared but I want you to be safe about this. As far as what my doctors told me, there's no specific miscarriage phase that you can pass through and be all in the clear. From what I understand, the w/d is dangerous to the baby throughout the pregnancy. In fact, my OB informed me that it can lead to sudden, unexplained fetal demise. That's what he clearly said. Fetal demise is the worst outcome, obviously.

I understand completely that you're afraid and don't know what to do and that you absolutely don't want those CPS creeps involved. However, it's not always a good thing to make decisions based on fear and not facts. I had a baby on 3 mg Sub, was honest with my doctors to whole entire time, had a healthy baby with zero NAS, and my baby went home with me. Nearly all the stories I've read on here about women having babies on Sub have been positive as well.

I'd advise you to taper carefully as low as you can without giving yourself w/d, assuming you can handle cravings. If you are sick from w/d, the baby is too. If your blood pressure shoots up from w/d, you can have a placental abruption. This is no joke. I don't want to scare you, but there are real risks associated with this, and I don't want you to make a decision based on one story on a website and then have that decision have terrible consequences. It doesn't have to be one way or the other. You can taper. Even if you taper and don't make it all the way off, it will reduce the chances of NAS significantly. How much are you on? There really is a way to do this that carefully and everything will be okay.

BTW, my 'Sub' baby is three now and she's healthy as a horse. She's my only kid with no allergies and asthma; she's very bright and beautiful. It all worked out okay and it can for you too. My heart goes out to you, because I was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders too when pregnant and on Sub. I wish I'd known then what I know now, because I would have enjoyed my pregnancy a lot more. ((((HUGS)))) Please let us help you!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ladder is TOTALLY right.....it seems as though your basing your desicion to get off the Sub, on information you've read online (from someone whom you DO NOT even know, and whom may have had other issues, or even taken OTHER substances while pregnant)
All you see, when you look at your computer screen.....is words......YOU HAVE NO IDEA of who the person (typing the information you've read), REALLY IS!!

And, I TOO......wish I had stopped worrying so much, ABOUT EVERYTHING, while pregnant......AND JUST ENJOYED IT!

Please do yourself a favor.....gather information from RELIABLE resources (actual studies), put your mind to rest.....AND ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR PREGNANCY!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next