It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It takes so long to urinate I have to sit down... Mostly its been taking anywhere from 10 to 50 minutes to go! So embarrassing. Sometimes no matter how badly I have to go I just give up take a break and try again! Is this strictly from the suboxone or has it exposed an underlying condition I didnt know I had. I'm a healthy male in my late twenties. Anyone have this problem or know anything about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:55 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Just keep sitting down, that is the best way. Urine Retention is very common when using opiates. I found mine has gone away for the most part as my dose got lesser and lesser. From what I understand is it has something with the muscles being slightly relaxed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This is an interesting post. I have not had this problem while on suboxone. However I did experience this while taking hydrocodone. I always wondered why this was happening and thought it was just the onset of a urinary infection of some kind...but it was pretty regular and I had started taking cranberry pills to help what I thought was an infection. I'm glad to hear that it was just a side effect of the opiates. I hope you find relief from this condition somehow...maybe you can talk to your doctor about it and see if he has any recommendations.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Something New
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:18 pm 

Wow, I've never heard of this happening while taking Suboxone. Before reading Stephents post I would have said it had nothing to do with it, but obviously I would have been wrong.

Has anyone ever read anywhere about this side effect? Does it enlarge the prostate? And if it does, then your doctor can prescribe a med for it. I take Flomax for the problem but I am of the age where it happens anyway. Yours sounds much worse than mine though and talking to a physician is the best remedy.

Funny how after all these years this subject comes up.

Pee freely and prosper,

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

google search opiod / opiate and urinary retention.. it's a fairly common side effect and there's some good info out there. Been years since I searched it but I remember that as one of the multitude of every day side effects I had to deal with back in my days of snorting 160mg a day of the old original formula oxycontin standing over the toilet for 5 minutes trying to pee. Could search for you when have more time

Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Am on a lower dose (1mg per day) and have urinary issues as well.

It basically takes me longer to pee and the stream is not as strong....nowhere near as bad as your issues OP but just for others knowledge it does happen at lower dosages as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You could be seeing the side effects of other meds you might be taking... like testosterone, etc.
That said, Subs can certainly cause it. If you're a guy, try taking Saw Palmetto twice a day.
I've had the same problem for years and have to take 320mg of Saw Palmetto twice a day. Try half that... 1 Gel twice a day. Don't waste your time on the herb.

Also, my prostate enlarged, lowering my flow, due to my libido getting shut off and not emptying it. (Sorry ladies... in a couple of ways... LOL...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:42 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

All opiates are well known to cause urinary retention/difficulties. I sit down to pee now too. 10 to 50 minutes though? That sounds extreme. What dose are you on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I first read this topic, I was like "wow, why would you WANT to pee on your suboxone??"....Then my mind started drifting off to thinking about how you would hold a suboxone film and stand over the toilet, and try to hit it with the stream. Obviously, this process would be MUCH more difficult for a (female)..since they don't have the stream-control that guys have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jonathanm1978 wrote:
When I first read this topic, I was like "wow, why would you WANT to pee on your suboxone??"....Then my mind started drifting off to thinking about how you would hold a suboxone film and stand over the toilet, and try to hit it with the stream. Obviously, this process would be MUCH more difficult for a (female)..since they don't have the stream-control that guys have.

LOL! Jonathan.......you are too funny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys thanks for your replies. I'm on a low dose of suboxone. And nothing has changed in my diet since or before I started taken Suboxone and then that's when this horrible urine problem started. I've since started taken " Super Beta Prostate - made by New Vitality " thinking that somehow the suboxone had increased the size of my prostate or made some sort of preexisting condition worse. I talked to my suboxone doctor and he said he hasn't heard or had any patients that has my difficult urination problem. He had however said that people on norcos or Hydocodone rather have some urine issues, but none as bad or anywhere near what I have and was describing to him. Also I've started taking a concentrate cranberry supplement it has made my condition marginally better at best, he recommend that I did go get checked out by my primary care doc to see if something else is going on, which I have an appointment for. But seeing how I'm only in my late twenties I wouldn't think it would be my prostate... I've also started taking saw palmetto by its self but that doesn't seem to be helping all that much either. I take cataprese aka clonidine and read that it can even help people urinate, but that's obviously not the case for me lol. The only thinking I found that could possibly cause problems urinating is the Costco brand Kirkland sleep aid its active ingredient is Doxylamine Succinate which is a antihistamine. But please if anyone has any other advice or information on what might possibly be going on I sure would be thankful, the more info the better. During my last checkup with the suboxone doctor I had to do my urine test, it took several times for me to do pee in the bottle, I was in the bathroom for what seemed like years trying to urinate and then add that with people banging on the door and waiting for me to finish seemed like I was is some black comedy or in a nightmare take your pick. I was telling the nurses waiting for me I wasn't feeling well and that's what was taking me. I was so imbarassed I'm was considering just walking out, I kidd you not. That's how bad its gotten. So any help or advice I would be VERY thankful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone has some qualities of opiates, just as any other opiate does -- it relaxes the muscles in that area..

I'm not sure if there's anything you can take to "un"relax the muscles, unless you stop taking Suboxone..

I doubt it's a medical condition or symptom of something oncoming...it's just a precursor that all opiate-related drugs possess. I never had the problem near as bad as with Suboxone..but I have had troubles in the past. They seem to have subsided mostly, and I'm still on the same dose...it just seemed to go away one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your primary care Dr cant really do anything for you at this point. Be prepared you are going to get a prostate exam which is not to fun if u know what i mean. you need to see a urologist asap incase theres a much larger problem. I have had urination problems while on suboxone but mine was the complete opposite i couldnt stop urinating and i felt like i had to pee all day every day. I didnt sleep for five days. Imagine holding a pee for as long as u can and we all know that feeling i felt that all day even when my blatter was completely empty. Worst thing i ever went through in my life.

Back to the point ther are so mny more thing a urologists can do for u than your primary all he is going to do is stick his finger up your butt and tell u to see a urologist so save your time ad start looking for one now. You might have a kidney stone blocking your urinary tract or so many other things that only a uro can figure out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

*Opiate related
*Kidney stones
*Prostate issue ~ do not rule anything out based on age.
*Psycological ~ Maybe you are afraid to let go... :? This would be a Louise L. Hay response.. It's possible
I also have resorted in sitting down to pee.... It is kinda nice.
Ibanks4~ Interesting info and good to know. Always wanted to know more about the prostate. Now I do.. Thank you (honestly)
Good luck SINAT, hope it is nothing at all and goes away soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the info guys. The more the better. The reason I said I have to see my primary care doctor is because I have a HMO "kiaser" and I have to see my primary first so I can get referred to the urologist. Assuming all is good with my prostate, kidneys and what have you... That was interesting to read about the "urine muscle" what can I do to un-relax so I can urinate quickly and without a problem, is that how flowmax works on the body? Also is this the same muscle you use to cut the flow of urine say you were peeing, or is this a different muscle(s) entirely? Thank You, so very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Beer usually helps me pee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:17 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I get this problem slightly on my subs. More so the constipation for #2 is worse than the urinating problems. Usually it takes me just a couple extra moments when I try to piss to kind of try and "get going" to get the flow starting. Sometimes it feels like it's being blocked in some way, and sometimes if I barely have to go it won't want to come out at all. Also makes it hard for me to do observed drug test because this on top of my shy bladder doesn't equal out to anything but 3 hours in the waiting room. Awesome.

Post subject: @SuboxoneIsNotAToxin
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:52 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The urinary retention caused by buprenorphine can be very severe during induction or the very first few days to a week in beginning treatment. It tends to resolve itself as time goes on and is explicit during dose increases, or increasing the dose too quickly. You should certainly consult your physician about your urinary retention and there are medication options that can help with this condition. Generally it will subside as your body accustoms to opioids. Make sure to avoid other medications like antihistamines that can exacerbate the situation.

Try using a diuretic like coffee or just drink plenty of water or both. If sitting down isn't helping, I know it sounds weird and unscientific, but I know for a fact that scratching your butt can help one urinate.

If this continues to be a problem please seek your physician right away. Hopefully this information helps.

Dr. I

Post subject: Re: @SuboxoneIsNotAToxin
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

pharmakon_logy wrote:
Generally it will subside as your body accustoms to opioids.

As addicts, aren't we ALREADY accustomed to opioids? That's why we're going on suboxone, right? Cuz we're ADDICTED to opioids, right? So why do we need to get accustomed to them? Just asking....

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have this trouble sometimes. What helps me is counting to 12. Seriously I always pee when I hit 12. Maybe I'm ocd or something but it works for me lol.