It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to review my question. I have spent hours looking over previous posts, as well as all over the internet, but can't seem to find the exact information I need; so any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
(I've never posted in a forum before, so if this is supposed to be in another category, or I didn't follow proper protocol I apologize.)

I am a 30 year old male who takes 120mg of oxycodone a day. I have been doing this for approximately 1.5 years. I am at the end of my rope..... I can't afford to keep my addiction going; mentally, physically, emotionally or monetarily. I am losing everything that I hold important in life. My relationships are suffering, my career is suffering, I am suffering!!! So a few days ago I finally decided to stop once and for all. I took my last dose today, but realized I don't know what to do next. I was so excited about being able to use sub to overcome withdrawal that it never dawned on me that I needed a good plan of action to take it, or it probably wont be effective.

I have 3 1/2 8mg Suboxone.

My question to you is, how long should I wait before taking the first Suboxone? What is an appropriate dose to begin with? And how often should I repeat this dose? (I have never taken Sub before and am scared because I know nothing about it other than it's supposed to help me get through withdrawal.)

So I leave it to you, complete strangers, to help guide me through this...... Please help guide me through this.....

Again, thanks for taking the time to read this post, and I hope to hear from you very very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello newhope. I'm glad you found us and I hope we can help you out a little bit. Am I correct in that you are not seeing a doctor for your suboxone? All of your questions are ones that a doctor would guide you through. So I feel it's important to suggest that you consider finding a suboxone doctor. But you certainly aren't the first person to come here with a few subs from the street asking how to use them. And you probably won't be the last. Before I say anything else let me make this disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or any kind of medical professional.

Now, if you're insistent upon doing this yourself and not seeing a doctor, then I'll try to help you a little bit. First, you need to make sure you are in mild to moderate withdrawals before you take any suboxone. Google the COWS worksheet and that should help you to determine the state of your withdrawals. As for dosing, there is no normal dosage - everyone is different. Considering you only have 3.5 8 mg pills, if it were me, I would take very little. But I'm just not comfortable telling you exactly how to dose.

I will say that some doctors do believe in a very short term detox with sub, so you might be able to take sub for several days to avoid full agonist withdrawals. But I'll also add that people who use sub that short term have an extremely high rate of relapse. I will again caution you against doing this yourself and urge you to find a suboxone doctor.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you. I'm sure others will come along and give you their thoughts. Good luck to you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.