It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone, my name is Jenna, and I have been doing great with Suboxone for the past four months. I was recently on an insurance that paid for the whole prescription, and never had any worries. Then, last Friday, I went to the pharmacy to fill this month's prescription, and was told I had no insurance, and it would run me $400.00!!!!
I recently got married, and when I changed my name, the insurance dropped me for good!
I have been in tears the past few days, and with one days dose left, I am seriously looking into everything I can to find if the company who makes this may have some sort of discount card, and if anyone else may have any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Jenna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Jenna welcome to the forum.

Yeah, suboxone is expensive. Hang in there if you can because its going generic in the fall, and the price SHOULD go down. Maybe you could lower your dose until that time? Does your husband have insurance and are you covered by that? Maybe you could get approval for coverage if so.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know it is very expensive, but there is help out there. 1st on the internet there are some discount cards you can purchase for about 5.95 a month that really gives you about 25% to 60% savings and also inquire at the pharmacy you go to as well if they have a discount card. Walgreens does but where i saved the most was with the card i purchased for 5.95 a month that even gave me discounts at the dentist and eye doctor. Normally 30 8mg tablets at Walgreens runs around 280.00 - 300.00 but with the discount card I would usually have to get only half 15 and it would cost 40.00 less than the original cost. Then you have to be careful of that because if you get half this time and half next time you are going to pay alot more for the 15 than if you got the whole 30 per pill. The more you get the cheaper it gets. Makes no sense but thats how Walgreens handles it here. There are places that do help people get there medications however, even though this is truly a life saving drug, it turns people back into human beings that care some places will not help with this medication.
Good luck, I really hope you find a solution.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Reckitt, the manufacturer of Suboxone has a needy meds program for patients without insurance. You have to meet an income guideline and find a doctor willing to do the paperwork and dispense the meds, but then you get your Sub for free for up to 2 years. My friend found a doctor willing to do the program through NAABT dot org (sorry I can't post urls yet, haven't been here long enough.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi, Jenna,

I need to introduce myself and I'll do that after I write this. I've never done things in the "normal" way. lol.

My name is Ami and I've been on Suboxone since March. I was in a state-sponsored drug-rehab type program that paid for all my Suboxone. Until the end of April when I "graduated" from the program and they cut me off. I have no job and no means of support other than my boyfriend, who thank god, takes very good care of me. I keep the house clean, take care of his appointments, watch his sister's children and do other odds and ends like that to "earn my keep". Well, he can't afford to give me money for my Suboxone and I can't afford it, either. I am waiting to hear back from that Suboxone Patient Assistance Program but even if it's approved I still have to wait six weeks for my medication. I currently have four of the 8mg tablets in my bottle and an unfilled prescription for two weeks worth with one refill in my wallet waiting until I can get the money to fill it. I am also in this process of trying to get assistance from the state and I should know about that in a few days. If that comes through I will have to not accept the patient's assistance program coverage because it does not allow you to be on any kind of insurance, state or private. So, right now I'm trying to keep thinking positive and pray to God that one or the other will come through for me. Also, I have three of those prescription discount cards and a few of them do give discounts on Suboxone at certain pharmacies. But, the problem is the Suboxone program I am in won't allow me to fill my prescription at ANY other pharmacy than their own clinic one. It's one of their guidelines. On the form I had to sign it says I can designate any pharmacy to use but they told me I HAD to designate THEIR pharmacy which isn't part of a chain and is a private pharmacy just for their company. The pharmacy is right in the same building as the Doctor's offices. If I could go to another pharmacy I'd certainly use one of my discount cards and get 20% off brand name. (I have to pay 160 dollars for a 2 week supply and I just don't have that kind of money).

I feel really bad for you, Jenna, and I know exactly what you are going through. But, if you don't have to stick with just one pharmacy or have the option of asking your Doctor if you can switch to a cheaper one or one that will accept a discount card I would try that if I were you. Also, you can get those discount cards online for free. I have three, as I've mentioned and I got one for my boyfriend who has to pay a 100 dollars or more every few weeks for HIS medication, which does not have a generic brand either, as well and he used it at his pharmacy and the cost of his medication went from 100 some dollars to 30 something dollars. (He has to take injections of depo-testosterone once a week due to Kallman's Syndrome. Google it if your curious there's tons of info.) So, we both know how difficult it is to need life-saving, (my boyfriend WOULD die without his and my life would be in danger without mine!), medication and not being able to afford it due to greedy Doctors, Pharmaceutical companies and the like. It's just disgusting and immoral. Everyone who needs it should be able to afford medication!

I hope things get better for you, Jenna. I'll add you to my prayers!

Love,

~Ami