It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hello There!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all!

My name is Jess. I am 27 years old. I have been a Suboxone patient (and sober) since July 19th 2009 (4 years last Friday). I was an addict from the age of about 19 on and off. It started with Norcos, graduated to Oxy then Heroin. I went to rehab at the young age of 21, was released, then relapsed 3 months later. From that point I used until July 19th of 09. I have a strange relationship with opiates. I've never enjoyed drinking alcolhol, smoking pot, cocaine...only opiates. Sometimes I wonder if opiate addiction is a whole different ball game from addiction in general. People (at meetings, for example) find it hard to believe that I don't even like getting drunk. And since I started on this program it has been strangely easy for me to stay off of drugs/alcohol. I am so grateful for that.

So, all in all, suboxone has given me my life back. I am now getting my master's degree in college, I have an amazing job, a wonderful boyfriend, and life is so good.

However, sometimes I wish I wasn't still on this medication and I beat myself up. It has proven very hard to taper off of.

So I'm just hoping to get some support on here for people like me who are also long-term sub patients.

Thank you!!! I'm so excited to finally be a member because I have been following posts in the forum for the last 4 years.

:P Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:05 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Jess , I still take 2 mg of Suboxone ( white round generic tab with a half moon print on it ) a day ... Dissolves in your mouth in 2 seconds , so much faster than the orange tablet dissolved ( not available anymore anyway ) For me it always seemed like a ritual everyday with the brand named Suboxone , pill or film .... The ritual is gone with the generic Suboxone .... It still has the Naloxone in it , and for me it seems to work better than the brand named stuff ever did ! As far as getting off it , I quit trying , the first 2 yrs I constantly tried to taper , was miserable 24 7 .... Been taking 2 mgs for about 5 yrs now... I have a mild bipolar thing and this is how we treat it , have been on the AD rollerclaster and quit all those meds 3 yrs ago .... Suboxone is the cause of and solution to all of life's problems LOL ..... Good Luck and don't creat a problem where there isent one . Mike ( Crown Point, IN )

Post subject: Hi, Painter!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Painter,

Thank you for your reply! \

Y'know, I really should have specified this earlier but sometimes I forget there is even a difference. I actually take 8mgs of generic Subutex (buprenorphine) a day. It works amazingly, far better than Suboxone did! Even though I know there probably isn't a huge difference, the lack of naloxone seems to lessen the side-effects. I got terrible headaches and an extreme urge to overeat on name-brand suboxone.

That isn't why I switched, though. I was on the patient assist program where you received suboxone for free for the first year (which was great, yes, but it kept me on it for a whole year and alas, here I am now-- still going strong after 4 years!). But I as soon as that year was up I had to start paying. So I found that the generic subutex was much cheaper at about 3 dollars per 8mg pill.

Anyway, and yes--you are right---shouldn't make a problem out of nothing! Life really is great at this point and I am so happy! I would probably be dead if it weren't for this magical little pill :)

Talk to you soon!
Jdizz

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi JDizzle!

You know Suboxone is a great and strong medication. It is doing its job by keeping you off drugs. It treats addiction. I do think that addiction is a disease and this is the medicine to help you. I have no desire to get off of a medication that helps me.
I take it every day just as I take Lexapro to treat my depression. It is one more thing that I take every day to help me be the best person I can be. I think that if you are doing so well so far, why stop it unless there is some money issue or you are having a bad reaction to it. Doctors are now prescribing this medication for the long term so you can enjoy a drug free life.

Please don't get off of a medicine that is working so well for you. Too many people try to shame us off this medicine. Husbands, family members, and most are those that do not even understand addiction.

I think you are doing great on the medication, stable and enjoying your life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the response, Raudy!!!

I can't even describe how good it feels to read your words.

I'm sad that I've waited so long to join the forum. I am surrounded by people who love me, but who do not understand the ropes of bupe treatment.

For example, I have one friend who says "oh, how hard could it be? Just wean off...you can do it!" Of course, she is an alcoholic in denial. One who drinks 10-15 beers a day and always says "oh, I could stop if I wanted to. But I don't need to".

My boyfriend is very supportive and so is my mom. My dad doesn't even know I'm on this medication because he would not understand. It's better that way!

But you are right, at the end of the day...why stop taking something that has improved ones life so much? Not much of a reason to!

I do want to have a baby when I am done with my degree and I want to be off of sub at that point so that is one thing that makes me feel bad. Hell, if wasn't on it right now I might just go on with it and get knocked up..I want a child more than anything. But, right now is not the time. I am focusing on my future and I know the time will come for me to think about weaning so I can get pregnant.

Anyway, thank you so much for your kind words, Roudy!