It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everybody. Been coming to this site for a few months now, and was finally able to join (email problems). I've been on Suboxone since the end of January, so about four months now. About six years ago, my back started hurting really bad. It used to hurt occasionally for a few days and then I'd be fine for awhile. Well, this time it started hurting and it never stopped. An MRI showed a herniated disk and disk degeneration. So I tried the anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxers, physical therapy, etc. Nothing helped. Finally after six months of constant pain my doctor prescribed me vicoprofen. And within 20 minutes, the pain was gone. That in itself was an addicting feeling, but I also just felt better in general. More energized. I've always been really tired, had many tests done, nothing was ever found. Caffeine has never helped, nor have B-12 shots. So imagine finding a medication that not only got rid of my pain, but also gave me a bit of energy. I was in love. As time went on my back got worse and I was referred to a pain management doctor. I had numerous epidurals, even had the nerves burnt in that area. Nothing helped but the medicine. And of course my tolerance grew. My problem was that the meds got rid of my pain, but only for a few hours. And that was fine at first, when the pain wasn't as bad. But as it got worse I couldn't deal with it. I have a pretty physical job and I just couldn't work with all that pain. So I started taking more pills a day. I was always prescribed four a day. My doctor claimed that was the absolute limit. And I was taking 8 a day. At this point it had been about four years since this all started, and I was prescribed 15 mg oxycodone four times a day. So every month I would run out early and go through withdrawal. Which meant missing a couple days of work every month. Not good. I'd been planning on surgery, but was told that it probably wasn't the best idea. I knew that I couldn't keep going through the withdrawal every month. It was too much and I couldn't take it anymore. So in desperation I went back to my primary doctor, told him I'd stopped seeing the pain management doc, and got another script from him. I was finally taking the perfect amount, at least in my opinion. I was scared of getting caught, and I felt guilty for lying to my doctor, but I really didn't see any other options. I had to work. We needed my paycheck for the mortgage on the house we'd recently bought. So this went on for about a year and a half, until this past January. A pharmacist finally caught me and called my doctor and it was all over. I felt horrible. So ashamed. And terrified. After a solid year and a half at 120 mg, I knew the withdrawal was going to be brutal. And I just couldn't deal with it. So I decided to try Suboxone. My husband called around and finally found a doctor that took insurance and would be able to see me in a few days (since I only had a few days worth of oxy left). My plan was to just use the subs for a couple weeks, with a quick taper. I had no idea what I was going to do about my back, since that has only gotten worse. I figured I'd just deal with that later. So my doctor gives me a script for one weeks worth of subs. Tells me to wait for 24 hours after my last oxy and then take 8 mg. And 12 hours later, take 8 more. So 16 mg a day. So four months later, I'm still taking the subs because it helps my back pain even more than the oxy did. Only problem is that it makes me soooo tired. I've recently cut back to about 10-12mg a day (split 3 ways, for pain) but the fatigue is still there. When I first started the sub my doc. switched me from Xanax to klonopin, because he says they're less addicting. So I think the klonopin is adding to the extreme fatigue and I'm trying to take the bare minimum that I can of that. I'm ok when moving around, but as soon as I sit down, I start to nod out. Not quite as much anymore, but still a lot. I've caught myself starting to nod out on my way home from work and that really scares me. I'm hoping it'll eventually get better, but I'm scared it won't. That's really my only complaint with Suboxone. Wow. This intro turned out way longer than I'd planned. For anybody who made it this far, I just wanted to say hi, and thank you for all the information I've gotten from this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

From my experience I found that at a higher dose of Suboxone I was doing the same thing. I am at 6mg a day and have been for 15 months, did a rapid taper from 16mg to 6mg in five days inpatient rehab for 9 days total. Being an addict, I thought more is better.

I then started to realize I felt better on less, i.e. not sleeping as much. I am not a doctor, only a patient, but maybe your dose is too high for you. I just say this because I found that if I took more, I was sleepier and sometimes, sick at my stomach. I am sure that others may have some advice to help, but this is what happened to me. I was at about 600mg of hydro/oxy or anything else I could get ahold of. It might be worth a shot to try it for a day or two and see how you feel, but you should also check with your doctor. Again, just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:21 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the reply! I think I've lost all faith in my doctor. When I told him about the extreme tiredness, he told me I was depressed. I said I'm not sad, just really tired. He insisted it was depression and prescribed me Wellbutrin, which is supposed to give you energy. In the five weeks I've been taking it, I actually do feel depressed now, and really moody. But I've had experience with antidepressants, so I know it can take about two months to start working. Still, I wanted to discuss this with my doc at my visit last week. However, as soon as I sat down he tells me my urine test was dirty, for amphetamines. I don't take amphetamines, never have. I ask if it could be the Wellbutrin, since that's the only thing different from every other month. He says absolutely not. He says it may be a lab error, but if it happens again he won't be able to treat me anymore. I completely lost it, started crying and hyperventilating, which is not normal for me. I tell him I'm actually doing everything right, taking only what he's prescribed. I tell him I feel like shit, all the time, so tired I was falling asleep in the waiting room, so tired I can barely make the 8 minute drive home from work, and you're telling me I'm on amphetamines?! He didn't say much, other than babbling about the DEA and him getting in trouble. He gave me my scripts and said hopefully the next urine test will be clean. As soon as I got home I googled Wellbutrin and false positives, and there's like a million links. Apparently that's a well known problem. I discovered it even said so in my medication guide from the pharmacy..Wellbutrin is known to cause false positives for amphetamines in urine drug screenings. How could my doctor not know this? He's a psychiatrist. He had to know this, yet he let me sit there having a breakdown over this and didn't say a word. So I really lost a lot of respect for him. But finding another doctor who takes insurance and works around me and my husband's work schedules is probably impossible. So anyway, I think I'll rely on information from this forum, because I trust what people here say, more than my doctor. He still wants me on 16mg a day. I've been taking 10mg the past four days and plan on trying to get even lower over the next week and a half, while I'm off from work. I think it's helped a little. I was actually able to sit and read a book without nodding out. That's definite improvement! I think I feel better too, now that I've vented about my doctor. That's had me beyond pissed for the past week. So again, to anyone reading this, thanks for all the information you provide on this forum. It's been really helpful :-)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:04 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey kitty, i would with honey,you sound like your dose maybe alittle high.
like honey i jumped down from 16mgs after a year an a half to 8 in one jump
last july.i indeed felt better an more awake.This past january i droped to 6and feel even better!
The other issue with your dr. Most of them just dont trust us . Or are misinformed. Hey im no doctor
so i come here to see and learn.
When i have a ? I ALWAYS go over to tbe TALK ZONE and read what Dr Junig
has to say on an issue.
Thats the best advice i can give....check docs blog..
Hang in there your doing good!!
Razor....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:18 am 

Hi Kitty and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry that your doctor is not being very helpful with your symptom of fatigue! I have a feeling that when RB teaches the doctors their 8 hour seminar, they advocate higher doses than necessary. After all, they get paid for each strip and pill!

The doctors need to listen to their patients! I wouldn't trust any doctor who dismisses my symptoms! Your doctor's ignorance should not be your problem, but unfortunately it is. I would go to your next appointment armed with a couple of articles printed out about how Wellbutrin causes false positives!

Good to have you here!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Kitty,

With Suboxone, most people actually feel like "less is more"....as in less makes them feel better. It does seem like a lot of people have to monkey with their dose until they find that sweet spot. If I were you, I would continue telling my doctor that I was on 16mg to keep him happy, but I'd take a lower dose and stockpile the rest.

Welcome to the forum!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the welcome Amy. I'm actually looking forward to confronting my doctor. Curious what he'll say.
Romeo, that's exactly my plan. Save up as much as possible, just in case. I'm just wondering if he can tell by my urine test that I'm taking less. I have it done at a lab, and I can go on my insurance's web page and see my actual numbers of bup and norbup. Wondering how much difference there will be. Oh well, I guess I'll find out :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:28 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi! whats up? :D