It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone,My name is Charlie I live in Tenn. I have been on Suboxone for 2.5 years.
I have recently been dismissed from my current Dr. and have decided to get this monkey off my back.
I know it will be a long tough road,I have read many of your story;s which are very similiar to mine,except for 1 thing....I am 53 years old.I do not know if my body will be able to handle this,either way i will give it my best shot.
I have about 85 sub. 8mg. left,I have already started to taper down.I know I cannot do this by myself,I am asking for your help and support.I guess kinda selfish huh? Everything is just fine until the wheels come off the wagon.
I hope I can find some logic here ,perhaps a taper plan that will be safe.To say I am scared would be an under statement.
The Dr. told me it would be like a bad cold when I decided to come off the Subs.Man was I fooled,If you have any suggestions ,I would appreciate anything.I am a strong willed person,I have quit smoking and can do almost anything I set my head to do.I am not here for pity just help.

Thank You Charlie :(

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:49 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Charlie53 wrote:
Hello everyone,My name is Charlie I live in Tenn. I have been on Suboxone for 2.5 years.
I have recently been dismissed from my current Dr. and have decided to get this monkey off my back.
I know it will be a long tough road,I have read many of your story;s which are very similiar to mine,except for 1 thing....I am 53 years old.I do not know if my body will be able to handle this,either way i will give it my best shot.
I have about 85 sub. 8mg. left,I have already started to taper down.I know I cannot do this by myself,I am asking for your help and support.I guess kinda selfish huh? Everything is just fine until the wheels come off the wagon.
I hope I can find some logic here ,perhaps a taper plan that will be safe.To say I am scared would be an under statement.
The Dr. told me it would be like a bad cold when I decided to come off the Subs.Man was I fooled,If you have any suggestions ,I would appreciate anything.I am a strong willed person,I have quit smoking and can do almost anything I set my head to do.I am not here for pity just help.

Thank You Charlie :(

Hi, Charlie, and welcome to this forum.

I'm sorry to know that you have been dismissed from you current doctor.
But I see that you have decided, as you say, "to get this monkey off my back."
There are several good taper threads on this forum.
I hope that you find the help that you need.

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:58 pm 
Welcome Charlie. You will find much advice and support here. You can do this. Many will chime in. Read the, stopping the suboxone thread. Read the tapering threads. View the videos by Dr J., that outline tapering.

Many will have questions. were you on for pain or addiction? what dose are you on now? are you dosing more than once a day? are you abusing them? we're here to help, not judge. you will hear from some others and some mods soon!

Hang in, this will be fine......

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes I have abused drugs my entire life,I have been on 2.. 8 mg Tabs for 2 years,My insurance threatened to quit paying ,my DR. upped my dose to 3... 8 mg a day .I was not taking that much,as a matter of fact I have only took 2 on very few occasions.
I have a family DR. that prescribes me my blood pressure and different meds. My shoulder is messed up,so he give me some 7.5 Hyros.My Sub dr. found out after 2 and a half years and booted me to the curb.
I could not refuse the hydros for fear of him finding out about my other DR.I swear I never took any of the Hydros,and he knows it .He drug tested me a few weeks ago.
But it is what it is,he said I could be arrested for Dr. shopping or something like that.
I have 85 8 mg. SUB. Hopefully I can taper down,I have had nothing in 3 days,and the last I had was about a third of a 8 mg. Tab.I work everyday and hope to continue.
Before I was introduced to SUB. I was using Methadone off the street...talk about some withdraws..that was bad
But I never dreamed that people get down to a mg. or less a day and worry about jumping off.
If I get down that low........ I may not know what I am talking about right now ....I will certainly quit .
I have been reading some of the taper threads and it is hard to believe that some people break down the sub in an eye dropper.I have been taking some powerful stuff,But I can and I will do it,I wish everybody on here the same
But I am scared,I am about to travel a road that I know nothing about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Charlie,

Why don't you look for a new Suboxone doctor? In my opinion, if you're not completely ready and completely committed to getting off of Suboxone, you'll end up relapsing. Just my opinion.

I don't know where abouts in Tenn you are, but I used to go see Dr. Vidya Bethi in Clarksville, Tn. She always seemed to have openings.

If you're determined to get off of Suboxone AND stay off of opiates, then I think you have plenty of tabs left to do a good taper.

If you're at 16mg now (I know you skipped 3 days, I'm just using 16mg as a starting point), you could taper by 25% every week for 12 weeks and end up jumping from about .5mg. Jumping from .5mg may be a little tough, but not impossible.

Here's the numbers I used:

Week 1--16.00mg/day
Week 2--12.00mg/day
Week 3--9.00mg/day
Week 4--6.75mg/day
Week 5--5.06mg/day
Week 6--3.80mg/day
Week 7--2.85mg/day
Week 8--2.14mg/day
Week 9--1.60mg/day
Week 10-1.20mg/day
Week 11-0.90mg/day
Week 12-0.68mg/day

EDIT---my initial numbers were wrong, doing the taper above, you should still have tabs left over.

Obviously, if you're able to stabilize on a lower dose than 16mg in the next few days, you would be able to go much lower or much slower than the very general taper I just gave you.

Point is, you should be able to taper off of Suboxone without enduring hell wd's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:53 pm 
Dude, a doctor by law has to give you 30 days to find another physician. This is abandonment and is illegal. You should have received a certified letter stating that he was firing you. I would advise his office manager of this.

You have 680 mg of suboxone. I tapered with a total (every 4th day) with 67 tablets. I have buprenex liquid in a dose that is 0.3mg/ml, 10 ccs I am on ridiculous low doses, as I said.

Check out Romeos taper, you have plenty for this.....his was about 460 mg. I hope you are serious. You can easily do Romeos taper. Dump the hydros or give them away to a relative. They aren't going to work on the suboxone anyway.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome. I don't have too much to add with the exception that Dr. Junig recommends drops of 10% when one is tapering off. Obviously when you way above the ceiling like you are, you can go fairly quickly from 16 down to about 6 or 8 mg. Although I wouldn't make that drop overnight, you should be able to do it rather easily.

Good luck to you and again, welcome to the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am going down to a hal.....f 4mg. to start with,I know I can do it.I have not had but 3mg in 3 days this is the 4th.
I will take 4mg. today and all week and go down from there if this is possible.I have to work,my insurance was going to quit paying anyway.I could have afforded 1 a day..but I am ready
I have not had anything all weekend,I feel well,I am not naive enough to think it will not get rough.
I have gone 4 days before with no ill affects before,and I have read on the internet where people start WD in a day...Are peoples systems different?Or do I have that much in the bank ..(so to speak)
I work with a guy who introduced me to this DR. He was on Subutex,he is basicaly in the same boat as I am except he is staying blowed away on totem poles and Xanax

Post subject: Charlie53
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome Charlie....First thing, DUMP THE DAMN HYDRO'S. It's a DEAD END(Unless you are in SEVERE PAIN). At 53 and using dope most of your life you say, you should know the result of the Hydro's and NO it hasnt changed any since you were last using. Still the same ole S**T. "Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting the results to be differant".
You are in good company here. These are GOOD PEOPLE....(I am NEW here also and I am 62 years old !!) I have been lurking this site for a month or so(trying to determine if I was jumping from the fryingpan into the fire, oxys to Sub) and just started my Sub program last week. I take 4mg twice a day. My doctor perscribed me 8mg twice a day, but knew I didnt need that much. I had 5 days(3 days of nasty WD's) of cleantime from opiates when I started my program. Was coming off 240-300mg. Oxy@day injected(11 days ago). At 57-58 years old(4 years ago). I COLD TURKEYED(had a very few Librium/Ativans/Imodiums the first 3 days) OFF 960-1280mg.@day Oxycontin injected. It was NO FUN but I survived. Was TOTALLY CLEAN for 18+ months with the help of my higher power, NA, CA, AA and 14-16 meetings @week. But, the cravings were always there in the back of my mind (just a bit), but I had destroyed my life to such a degree I was not going to let them drag me down again. Once my life was back on track, good job, my own apt. and got married for the second time in my life after being divorced for 18+ years. Came down with a migraine(severe) and took a Lortab to get rid of it(seems the only thing besides oxy that would get rid of them)....before I could blink my eye it was on like Donkey Kong again and i.e. just like the country song...in short order it was all gone again, job, apt., money and marriage. Today is day 6 of a Suboxone program and I feel damn fantastic, No withdrwals and NO CRAVINGS...so....other than you have LOST your doctor because of a BAD move with the Hydro's...Why are you wanting the socalled MONKEY off your back....personally I do not feel Suboxone is a Monkey let alone a Gorilla as Opiates are..that is MY opinion and at my age I am entitled to one if not several....You can always find another doctor....Question....are you feeling that you are HEALED now after 2.5 years of Suboxone therapy....I am sure that you have heard the OLD SAYING..."Once you become a Pickle you can NEVER be a Cucumber again".
Sounds as though you have plenty in storage to wean/taper yourself off the subs as@ Romeo's and others taper formulas...BUT WHY....Would you quit your high blood pressure meds or diabetic meds after taking them for a couple years if you had either of those diseases....and Addiction is a DISEASE PERIOD. The AMA declared alcoholism a disease with a propensity for relapse in 1952, and Opiate addiction is the same. Just because the substance used is differant the results of the use are the same !!!
Good Luck to you Charlie53, what ever path you take. Again, you are in a GOOD PLACE here and you will get some good answers if you ask. And dont be afraid to ask....If you DOn't ask you wont find out !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You have made some very good points in your post Okla51,But my insurance was about to dump me anyway,but like I said before... I could still afford 1 a day.The DR. I was seeing ,or rather who;s office I was going to ...to get my script.....since I actually seen the DR. 5 times in 2.5 years.They were charging me 300 a month out of pocket.
It started out just a hole in the wall joint,then I guess they got to where they could take more patients and went in with his brother and started to fix the place up.
He was an Oriental fat gent. with long hair...I honestly thought he needed help more then I did,when He spoke it was as if he was reading a script that he had practiced very well.
I think the Feds were coming down on him and he used me for a fall guy.... guinea pig ...whatever.He never checked my record in 2.5 years ..now just think about that.He is treating me for drug addiction and never got up the will to check my online files.
I never took any of the Hydros ,I could have taken a handfull and never would have felt them.I just give them to my wife who has the same script and needs them,He knows by my drug test I never took them ...he was just pissed because I got over on him for so long ..I think.
I have nothing against staying on the subs. for the rest of my life .I feel normal not high or not sick.Just normal.
I just think I will probably have a hard time getting in a new facility.I may explore that possibility,funny thing about drug addiction ,you never know who is using,the Pastor of your church to your kids school teacher....You just never know.
Oh well enough babbling for today I have to go to work,everyone stay safe and I love ya

Charlie